Those small tubs

Those small tubs

This is a discussion on Those small tubs within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; This is nothing earth-shattering ... and certainly probably not to the folks who have reloaded a good while. Because I have quite a few powders ...

Assistant Administrator

Those small tubs

This is nothing earth-shattering ... and certainly probably not to the folks who have reloaded a good while.

Because I have quite a few powders in use - in fact am gonna try and cut down my choices soon - and stick to fewer ... I do tho save small tubs, like those you might get with dips in ...... and once well washed and dried, put quantities of each powder in them - well labelled of course.

This is useful for two reasons . I load some large cals by dipping and then putting that charge onto scales .... to make final adjustments.... it is so much easier to scoop out of a wide mouth container. Plus, same for charging a trickler (mine being a basic home made deal which I have posted a pic of before) - easier to use wide mouth container.

Only downside could be at times... a tendency for plastic to hold some static charge and so powder can stick to sides slightly - not a biggie tho.

I'll also use these containers if I want to empty a measuring hopper with just a bit left before a change over. Saves messing with funnel and small opening in powder jug.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good tips for sure. Lord knows I save darn near everything, and too much of it. My favorite is the round plastic cases that electrician's tape come in. I use these for small parts, rifle bullets etc.... and can label them with magic marker. I keep my tumbling media in the large plastic coffee containers and inside ziplock bags---somehow doubling the protection from moisture or other know enemies. I've got so many empty containers around, I'm probably using up space that could actually be used for a more useful purpose. But hey---they're there if/when I need them. Containers with tightly sealing lids are especially nice for items prone to rust---throw the item(s) in, give a blast of Rust Prevent, and seal 'er up!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post

Only downside could be at times... a tendency for plastic to hold some static charge and so powder can stick to sides slightly - not a biggie tho.
    Chris, if that might be a trouble, you could try anti static Table Mats used in electronics.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Lead Moderator
    I like to use plastic 1 gal. coffee containers to hold my brass. A few desiccant packs and they tend to store well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

We eat a lot of oatmeal at our house and I save the large round cylindrical containers for my scrounged range brass, all labled so I can segregate the different cartridge cases. Only thing is, I've got too many that are full of 9mm.

If you will coat the inside of the plastic container with dish soap (ivory, dawn, etc) very thinly and let it dry completely the powder will not stick to it anymore. I have done that for over 30 years with no problems.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Toss in a couple of those clothes dryer sheets with your powder. to prevent static electricity.

You are asking for trouble by not storing powder in it's original container. Dipping out of a smaller container works, just return unused powder to original cotainer when your done.

It maybe a hassle to use a funnel, but going to the emergency room or throwing out mixed gunpowders is more of a hassle.

Shooterwolf

Assistant Administrator
    You are asking for trouble by not storing powder in it's original container.
    I have used small containers, tubs etc for 30 years nearly - IMO the important thing is labelling, it's that simple. Forget to label - then perhaps a problem ... each to his own of course anyways

Final Option - yes of course, the light smear of soap - had forgotten that for anti-static.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Works in you powder scoops and powder hopper tube tube too.

Sounds like a good idea.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I've been saving brass in those large plastic laundry bottles. I can get a couple thousand brass pieces in them. The work well.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Links