RCBS dies

This is a discussion on RCBS dies within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; My Wife got me a set of RCBS 3 die carb tc set part # 18915. so my question is will that die set work ...

Thread: RCBS dies

RCBS dies

My Wife got me a set of RCBS 3 die carb tc set part # 18915. so my question is will that die set work with a Dillon 55b? and should I keep them or take them back?

2. Remove Ads

They'll work. I have a 550 and load about 6 different calibers and don't own a set of Dillon dies of any sort. Of course to use the auto powder measure you'll still need a Dillon powder die. This would eliminate the need for the RCBS expanding die in your set.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Ok... I am dumb when it comes to dies as this is my first set... the one with the PIN in it is for decapping, the one with the that looks like it would size the inside of a case, and then i have one that looks like it would seat the bullet. So am i right with my guesses? or am i wrong?

yes they will work with the 550. the die with the pin is the de-primming die. the first diein the 550, it takes out the old primer. the second die expands the case mouth, the expander die. it is not used. you will use the one that comes with your dillon powder drop and cal set. the third die is the bullet seat die/crimp die. you will use this one in the third stage on the dillon. you will have one hole open, unless you get a taper crimp die. i like the taper crimp die and use one for 45 acp, 40 s&w, and 9mm. other cals i use a roll crimp. i use all type of dies in my dillon, come to think about it i don't have any dillon dies. i like rcbs, lee, and pacific/hornady dies.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

The one with the pin in the center is a full length sizing die.

The one with a solid, thick rod in the center is the expander die.

The one with the cup in the top of the inside it the bullet seating die. It will also have a built in crimper to remove the bell in the case mouth you made before you seated the bullet.

You will not be using the expanding die with the 550. The powder die and powder funnel will bell the case mouth and charge the case with powder at the same time. I would leave out the expander die and just leave the 4th hold open or get a crimp die and seat in stage 3 and crimp in stage 4. You will have more control over crimping if you crimp separately.

RCBS, Hornady, Lee, Dillon, Redding, Forster, etc are all threaded 7/8-14 to fit reloading presses.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Can you really tell the difference using different dies?

Johnny, Make CERTAIN that you either have a carbide sizer die or you lube your cases. Brass forced into a steel die with no lube will stick in there and it can be a REAL pain to get out if you dont have the right tools.

Get a good reloading manual. Read it untill you have it memorized, then read it agan. Refer to it at every step along the way untill reloading becomes second nature--then read it again.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrigger View Post
    Can you really tell the difference using different dies?
    Yes. Quality does vary. I started on Lee dies and have RCBS and Redding dies as well. All my revolver rounds are being switched over to Redding Pro Series. I'm thinking of making the switch to all my dies as well. I loaded 200rds of 32 H&R on my Redding dies and made the decision to switch. I also load a crap load of ammo.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Moderator
    Something to consider with the dies.

the Dillon dies, although pricey, work the best with the Dillon press. The reason is that the de-priming die on all of their die sets have a large radius at the bottom of the die to assist in feed the case. this makes operation of the Dillon press much smoother.

Although any die from any manufacturer will fit and work, some dies have a sharp enough shoulder that you must guide every single case into the die by hand,therefore eliminating much of the speed that the Dillon press is famous for.

I have dies from every manufacturer. When I got the Dillon over 25 years ago, I used what I had. I eventually switched over to Dillon dies and use nothing but Dillon dies on them. Its part of a system that works very well. The Dillon dies use 4 dies for their pistol dies, the last die being a separate crimp die. One is a powder die that uses the case to activate the powder bar.One sets the bullet and the first one decrimps and sizes.

Over they years, I have machined the ends of many other dies with a radius for other people to use on their Dillon presses. My advice is to pay the extra money and have no problems of any kind. Some dies are better about this than others, but the Dillon Dies are designed to work with the Dillon press.
    Last edited by HotGuns; February 8th, 2008 at 11:24 AM.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The Redding Pro Series are also radiused for smooth operation on progressive presses.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Cool thanks for all the info!!

Links