Lee dies with a Dillon 550B?

This is a discussion on Lee dies with a Dillon 550B? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Anyone try this? I am attempting to place a .45 ACP 3 die set to work on my 550B. I could have sworn I read ...

Thread: Lee dies with a Dillon 550B?

Lead Moderator

Lee dies with a Dillon 550B?

Anyone try this? I am attempting to place a .45 ACP 3 die set to work on my 550B. I could have sworn I read on a forum anbout this working. It seems the powder feed system does not bolt up to the Lee die.
    from the way it looks , I will be selling the Lee dies and buying Dillon. Thanks.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Rocky....I've read this people using Lee dies on their Dillon. Like you, I have Dillon presses and Lee (and Dillon) dies, but haven't tried it myself. I though I came across this on Brian Enos' forum ( Brian's Forums... Maku mozo! (Powered by Invision Power Board) ) and Glocktalk.

I understand the primary reason is the resizer goes down to the base, which I guess is important for people resizing brass that's been fired through OEM Glock barrels.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

yes lee dies work with A dillon, all you need is a Powder die and the Caliber conversion kit from Dillon. "for Caliber you want to reload."

Lead Moderator
    Duh, I think I figured it out. I was trying to put the bullet seat die in the wrong place. I think the powder die for the Dillon is suppose to remain on the loading block. So if this is correct , I do not need the powder die for the Lee, correct? Also the last die that seats the bullet also crimps ?
    If I got it right, it goes Lee deprime/ resize die, dillon powder die, Lee bullet seat die?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Duh, I think I figured it out. I was trying to put the bullet seat die in the wrong place. I think the powder die for the Dillon is suppose to remain on the loading block. So if this is correct , I do not need the powder die for the Lee, correct? Also the last die that seats the bullet also crimps ?
    If I got it right, it goes Lee deprime/ resize die, dillon powder die, Lee bullet seat die?
    My Dillon 550B is:
    Stage 1) Deprimer / primer
    Stage 2) Resize / Bell / Powder measure
    Stage 3) Set bullet seat
    Stage 4) Crimp
    Think twice
    Buy once!

I'm having a monitor crisis right now but I can help here for a bit.

With the Le 3 die set, you put the Lee sizer in station one, the Dillon powder die in station two, and the Lee seater die in station three. Station four is blank unless you want to add a crimp die there.You could also use the Lee expander die in station two and leave off the Dillon powder measure assembly and run a Lee auto disk off the Lee expander die. It will not interfere with the press operation as the Lee system is case activated.

I have Lee dies for quite a few cartridges on my 550. I use a crimp die and leave out the Lee expander die to use the Dillon powder die.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Lead Moderator
    Thanks all, guess I was having a blonde moment. I am set up now with the Dillon Powder die.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

i am glad you got it to work. in a three die pistol set you only need to use two dies in the the dillion 550. the decapping die and the bullet seat die. the expander die is not used. you use the one from dillion along wiyh the dillion powder drop system. i also use a traper crimp die in the fourth hole in my 550. yes i said 550. i got one of the first ones made many mango seasons ago.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Senior Moderator
    You still need to have the correct powder funnel for the caliber you have for the powder measure to function right. Each caliber has its own, because the cases are different lengths.

It is this powder funnel that you set for the proper amount of "bell" on the case.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    Yep, the caliber conversion comes with the correct powder funnel.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    You can also buy them separatley if you have the proper shell plate for another caliber.

The .45 ACP shellplate will also work for the .30-06 and anything with that rim size. Buying the funnel is alot cheaper if everything else is good to go.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    Yeah, I found this out after I had purchased the conversion kit. And I do reload for '06 already.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Lead Moderator
    Ok. guys. I got it all setup and working properly on my Dillon press. I found the bullet seat die much easier to adjust than Dillon's, but the Lee die isn't as forgiving just setting a bullet on the case and pressing. More care is needed to align the bullet with the die.
    Thanks again with the help.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links