Took an NRA basic reloading class / I need a straight answer about resizing

This is a discussion on Took an NRA basic reloading class / I need a straight answer about resizing within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; First things first. I took an NRA Basic Metallic Cartridge Reloading class the other day. It was great. Most things I allready knew, but it ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tubby45

Thread: Took an NRA basic reloading class / I need a straight answer about resizing

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar

First things first.

I took an NRA Basic Metallic Cartridge Reloading class the other day. It was great. Most things I allready knew, but it helped a lot in dispelling some myths that I thought were the way to reload. It also provided a very basic foundation of reloading knowledge that I just wasn't quite grasping from reading and asking other's opinions. The instructor was great, and he didn't impose his view on reloading techniques unless you asked him his opinion on something.

I couldn't have been happier with the class, and now going back and rereading a lot of things and even postings here I don't feel like I am reading it half written in chinese.

So now to my other question.

It came up in class about the belly bulging problem in pistol auto cartridges. One guy piped up and said "Oh yea, you gotta watch out for that Glock brass." The instructer corrected him and said it can be a problem from other guns also. I asked him how to correct it and he showed me his roll sizer and told me that he runs all of his auto cartridges through it first before reloading and that my Dillon press can't reach down far enough to size that belly bulge out.

It made sense, but a roll sizer is not a cheap tool to purchase. I have read some references that say that Lee dies will take care of that bulge.

What are your thoughts and experience on this? I need some straight talk on the subject.

Thanks.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I f I has some brass that was bulged I suppose I would have to try it the "old" way, and if that didnt work the bulged brass would go to the scrap yard. Secondly--there is a possibility that the brass is weakened somewhat and it might be dangerous to fire again.

One of the first things my reloading mentor impressed upon me was-"when in doubt . throw it out"!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    that my Dillon press can't reach down far enough to size that belly bulge out.
    Complete udder BS! People that make comments like this don't own or never used a Dillon press.

It made sense, but a roll sizer is not a cheap tool to purchase. I have read some references that say that Lee dies will take care of that bulge.
    The Lee factory crimp die is probably what they are referencing. This die post sizes the case as it applies the crimp to the case mouth. This is to make sure your round will feed. What he is doing is overcomplicating a simple operation.

What are your thoughts and experience on this? I need some straight talk on the subject.

Thanks.
    The best way to handle buldged brass is simply to full length size completely. This is done by adjusting the die into the toolhead enough so that when the shellplate is at the top of the stroke, the bottom of the sizing die should touch the plate. No special dies are needed. That is BS.
    marcclarke likes this.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Complete udder BS!
    'Udder' BS!!That is pure genius wording!! HILARIOUS!!

(wait...you did intend to replace 'utter' with 'udder' right?)

Kidding with you, Tubby. I learn much from posts like this. Thanks.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Glad you caught it.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Thanks for the info Tubby. That was what I was wanting to know. Udderly perfect.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

full length size completely all brass. i pickup 40 s&w brass after each "q" day at the range. we all shoot glock 40's. the brass will have the bulge. my rcbs die at stage one in the dillon 550 takes care of it. i full length size completely all brass,,pistol and rifle.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Lead Moderator
    The Dillon resize die works fine too. I reload for my buddy who shoots a .40 cal. Glock
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

So then is the whole thing that was said to me a myth? Or is their a problem with maybe using a carbide die since those have a gap at the base?

I heard the EGW resizer die goes down further than the Dillon die to make sure the case gets fully sized. I also called Dillon and he said their dies do not go down all the way. I have had some problems with reloaded bullets in the 40 S&W that would fte.

The EGW "U" (undersize) die is made by Lee. This die is basically like the FCD but with a decapper instead of the crimping assembly.

Dillon dies do not always size all the way down. I've seen it both ways. I personally use Redding and Lee dies in my Dillon press and never had issues.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I have RCBS carbide dies that will not take the bulge out of Glock fired brass. I had the sizer/decapper adjusted all the way to the shell plate.

I was a little afraid it had been overstressed anyway, so it went into the scrap bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Glad you caught it.
    Quite moo-ving.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Links