6.5 x 55 loads ?

This is a discussion on 6.5 x 55 loads ? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Folks, Does anyone have any recomendations for a 6.5x55 load for accuracy? 600yd bullseys course. Ive never reloaded this cartridge before, only have a 75 ...

Thread: 6.5 x 55 loads ?

6.5 x 55 loads ?

Folks,
    Does anyone have any recomendations for a 6.5x55 load for accuracy? 600yd bullseys course.

Ive never reloaded this cartridge before, only have a 75 yd practie range, but I am dying to shoot in the first match of the year :-) It's been 10 years since I've done a 600 - and that was with a 223.

I think I've only put 50 rounds through the mauser so far, even shot it once at a 200yd offhand match and didn't embaras myself too much.

2. Remove Ads

Is your rifle bone stock military, or has it been reworked? I have a '96 sporterized by Kimber and use a headspace gauge for my loads. I use IMR powder exclusively in mine. I use Lapua brass for my loads and will load factory cases only three times as the neck tends to get weak after that in the shoulder area. I think I have several loads saved data and I'm thinking the round has it's best characteristics in the 120gr loadings--especially the ballistic tip. I've never set out for 600yd accuracy though. It's been a couple of years and I've lost some very important data I had in a spiral notebook that I was going to transfer to my Lee Shooter program. I could e-mail you some of my saved data when I find it.

Bone stock military.
    I havent reloaded any large caliber rifle for a decade, but I have come to scorn 748 powder and am in love with Varget.
    I have lots of IMR4198&4895&4759, VVN110&N150, sitting on the shelf just taking up space. Of course I wouldn;t mind trying a new powder.
    I have some PMC brass, and still have some loaded PMC with price tags of $6 (man it has been a while!) but not enough new stuff to make it through a match.

If you can turn up any load data, please let me know as I'd love to get a leg up. In all likelihood, the match will be the first time I can really shoot any load combo.

This might be the next cartridge I undertake.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I am currently undertaking to build some sort of a 6.5 bore bolt rifle this year, having gathered up everything except the barrel. Had a dandy 96 Swedish Mauser some years back that had those threads on the muzzle end of it's barrel. Was ugly and had a very ugly crown. Don't know why it shot so well with such a crown but it did shoot Norma factory stuff very well from the bench at 100 yards. Had intended to make a sporter out of it but another fellow wanted it about as badly as I wanted his 1903 Springfield so we worked out a trade.

After reflecting on 6.5X54 M/S, .260 Remington, 6.5X57, along with considering the wildcats 6.5-284 and 6.5-06 (have a barrel done up for the '03 Springfield action in this one) I determined to stick with the 6.5X55.

So I'm over at my gunsmith's the other day discussing the project and he whips out a chamber reamer for the 6.5X47 Lapua and suggests that I give that a try. Looks good on paper for my purposes. It'd be a bit more expensive to get into though with higher costs for handloading dies and brass. I'll probably still go with the tried and true 6.5X55.

Sure do love the idea of a 6.5 rifle for fun shooting at the range and for use on Texas white tail deer. I'm no fan of magnum rifles with bores less than .30 caliber so don't want a .264 Winchester Magnum. The 6.5X55 would fill the bill in my view.

Regardless of which 6.5 I end up with, perhap I ought to hit it in its crown with a hammer and bugger it up so it'll shoot as well as did that old 96 Swede.

Links