Reloading .45 ACP

Reloading .45 ACP

This is a discussion on Reloading .45 ACP within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am using WIN231 powder with 200 grain RN lead cowboy action bullets. I want to get some 230 grain FMJ's. The WIN 231 powder ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading .45 ACP

Reloading .45 ACP

I am using WIN231 powder with 200 grain RN lead cowboy action bullets. I want to get some 230 grain FMJ's. The WIN 231 powder seems to me to be very dirty. I ran out of it and will need to get some more. Any suggestions on powder to use for the 230 grain FMJ?
    We will be shooting them through a G30 and a full size HK USP .45 if that makes any difference
    Think twice
    Buy once!

I have only been reloading for a relatively short time, but I use Hogdon Universal Clays with 230 gr FMJ bullets. I know nothing about W231, but the Clays is many times cleaner than Winchester White Box factory ammo.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

I use 231 myself. Word is if you want clean you might want to look at Vitavouri. The beauty of 231 is it's much cheaper. I've got such accuracy out of the load I've got worked up I guess I'm loath to change it!

Some of the crud you're seeing is also coming from the bullet lube on the lead rounds. Jacketed may shoot a little cleaner.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I shoot 5.4 grains of Win231 under 200 grain round nose copper coated (Rainier) bullets and it shoots very clean.

Tim

All I've ever used for .45 ACP is Blue Dot (for warmer loads) and Titegroup (targets). I've had good success with Titegroup - it works fine. Not too dirty - although I don't think 231 is supposed to be dirty either. If its a real low pressure you will likely see a less thorough burn...how much are you using? What velocities are you getting? What size are your LRN cowboy bullets? Do they have grooves or are they tumble lubed.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I am a fan of titegroup works well in 9, 40 & .45acp

i made up a bunch of 45 acp with AA#5. good powder, but some what dirty. titegroup is also good.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

HS6 or WSF.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I recently started loading 45's to try and get my shooting costs down. I started at 4.0 grains of Bullseye with a 230 grain hardcast LRN. I achieved best accuracy and consistency with 3.6 grains of Bullseye. Bullseye seems dirtier than I had hoped it would be. I'm picked up a jug of Clays tonight. I'm not sure if the "gunk" I'm seeing is powder residue or bullet lube. I hope Clays cleans it up a bit. My chamber indicator on my XD45 is stuck half way up when unloaded because of gunky buildup under it......I don't have a punch small enough to remove it to clean under it.

If it's a waxy sort of solid gunk you can usually bet it's bullet lube. The price we pay for shooting hard cast and saving money it seems.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I use Promo or Red Dot for cast 230gr round nose loads. Both seem to work best for me at between 4.5 to 5 gr charges.

Yep they both can be a little "dirty", but I clean my guns each and every time we go out to play.

bulls eye

I started off with titegroup and converted to bulls eye, bulls eye is just a little cleaner burning, if you have a single stag press be sure not to double up the powder. I use rainier 230 gr round nose with 4.5 to 4.6 grains of bulls eye and when I used titegroup it was the same bullet and powder weights. I have only tried these two and also 231 which my dad swore by til I got him hooked on bulls eye

my data for bulls eye comes from our friends in the Lyman 48th Edition reloading handbook
    data for titegroup came from a speer manual at local gun shop, and I think that 230 gr 45 was listed on the label if I remember right, either load has worked for me and has not blown up or apart any barrels in my guns

No offense, but I've never understood the debate over "dirty" and "cleaner" powders. My thought is that I'm going to clean my weapon anyway, so what does it matter.

Rather than concentrate on cleanliness (or lack thereof) my choice is what works best in the loads that I've developed. For me, in .45 ACP, that powder is 231.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    If you are really looking for a CLEAN powder, forget the rest and buy a jug of PB. Kinda pricey, but that stuff leaves ZERO fouling in my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by nuparadigm View Post
    No offense, but I've never understood the debate over "dirty" and "cleaner" powders. My thought is that I'm going to clean my weapon anyway, so what does it matter.

Rather than concentrate on cleanliness (or lack thereof) my choice is what works best in the loads that I've developed. For me, in .45 ACP, that powder is 231.

I feel the same way, I would rather have a great load. I'm really anal about cleaning, so no matter how dirty the gun is, it still gets a thorough scrubbing. I do prefer bullseye, but often use HP-38(same as W231) or unique.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links