LEE Perfect Powder measure accuracy...

This is a discussion on LEE Perfect Powder measure accuracy... within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; To those who have used the Perfect Powder measure did you verify its accuracy with a scale first or trust it right out of the ...

Thread: LEE Perfect Powder measure accuracy...

To those who have used the Perfect Powder measure did you verify its accuracy with a scale first or trust it right out of the box with the VMD data provided??? Im just looking for some opinions from those who know before I start my first few loads. Thanks in advance.

Lead Moderator
    While I do not own one, I would check with a scale for safety. Anything can fail or be built out of spec.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

It's good. I also use the dippers. I use IMR powders, and I've lost my chart as it were. I use the Lee Shooter program for conversions, or the slide chart for the dippers. IMR powders are large cylindrical powders, and the PPM will cut the sticks as advertised. I weigh every 10th or 20th charge it throws. Using the meter takes a bit of time to learn and fine tune IMO. Your's being brand new will have a bit of static cling. There isn't much consequence in that, and it will dissipate over time and use. Definitely weigh your charges until you can calibrate the meter with confidence. The Lee Shooter program is a good one for calculating all that. I think the CD goes for around twenty bucks or so. Not sure if I could copy mine. If I could--I would.

Wipe the inside of your powder measure with a dryer sheet to get rid of static cling. I verify with my scales every time I use my measure, it doesn't take long and it's easier than pulling loads apart.

Shooterwolf

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    The Perfect Powder is very accurate with Ball powders, as measured on a scale. With some flake powders it's .1 +-. Definitely the best $19 measure out there!

all ways check with scales, not matter what type or brand of powder drop.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Thanks for all the tips, so far everyone told me what I already knew but just didnt want to admit. I say this since it was the third time I sat down to start loading and realized I was missing something.

A scale?

Definitely +1 on checking with scales. It's a very accurate measure, but you definitely have to make sure. I usually check periodically to make sure it's still dropping the same weight as well.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

scales are a handloaders "life jacket " , i would not load a single round using a perfect powder measure with out them to verify that the cc volume is right , gun powder can vary in weight as much as 15% from lot to lot , in a fast burning powder that is commonly used for pistols, that grain or two can over could be past max pressure , i own about everything lee makes and my two least favorite things lee makes is the safety scale and the perfect powder measure , a good scale is a investment that will last a lifetime , start off with a beam scale and work your way up to a exspensive digital , those cheap digital scales are not too good , the perfect powder measure dose work very accurate with alot of powders but not all of them , i weigh every charge myself ...

Sponsored Links