Hodgdon Clays for 45 Auto and 38 Spcl

This is a discussion on Hodgdon Clays for 45 Auto and 38 Spcl within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I'm rather new to reloading handgun cartridges. I've loaded for rifle and shotshell since I was 12 (i'm 23 now). I started loading 45 ACP ...

Thread: Hodgdon Clays for 45 Auto and 38 Spcl

Hodgdon Clays for 45 Auto and 38 Spcl

I'm rather new to reloading handgun cartridges. I've loaded for rifle and shotshell since I was 12 (i'm 23 now). I started loading 45 ACP on my Dillon 550 recently. I started with 4.0 grains of Bullseye under a 230 grn LRN bullet. I achieved best accuracy and consistency with 3.6 grains of Bullseye but I am experiencing a significant amount of soot and gunk in my gun (Springfield XD45 4" Service). The chamber indicator is stuck half way up when the chamber is clear. I clean my gun thoroughly after each trip to the range. I cannot get the gunk out from under the chamber indicator. I'm not sure if the gunk and soot I'm experiencing is from the Bullseye or from the bullet lube on the lead bullet. I've always used Red Dot for 12 ga and Unique for 20 ga and my experience with both was that they burn somewhat very dirty. I'm going to give Hodgdon Clays a try as I've heard that it burns more cleanly. I'd also like to try Clays in 38 Special although soot is less of a problem in a revolver. Has anyone experienced significant soot issues using Bullseye? Will Clays yield less gunk and soot? Any other powder suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-Longo

2. Remove Ads

The problem with the loaded chamber indicator is most likely an accumulation of bullet lube. A good soaking in solvent should cure it.

Yes, Bullseye and Unique can be somewhat dirty. It is less likely to happen if you will run a bit higher pressures than you are now.

P.S. The soot will wipe right off.

As for Clays---It is pretty good stuff too. The only way you can be certain is to buy a small container and give it a try. If you dont care for it in your .45, you can always use it up in your 12ga.

I used bullseye and unique but went away from it because of the soot. started using clays and love it . can go to the range at least 3 times before cleaning is needed. I use 3.2 grains with 230 fmj . works very good.plus no muzzle flash..

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post

Yes, Bullseye and Unique can be somewhat dirty. It is less likely to happen if you will run a bit higher pressures than you are now.

P.S. The soot will wipe right off.
    The soot's not a huge deal I guess but I'm OCD when it comes to cleaning my guns. I kinda just feel that I can find something that burns more cleanly and yield the same accuracy why not do it.

As far as higher pressures...my OAL now is 1.258 which I know is a bit long but it feeds well in my gun. I could try bumping that back a few thousandths and bumping up my crimp a bit to get the pressure up and get a cleaner burn.

Thanks for the insight

I'm running 3.6 gr. Clays pushing 230 gr. plated Rainier bullets with an OAL of 1.260.

Seems to be a very clean and accurate combination for plinking in my 3" Kimber.

I use 3.7 grs of Clays under a 200gr. Montana gold JFP. Is a nice easy shootin load and works all my .45s well, and burns cleaner than BE and a few others I have tried. I have .45s in, Para tac-four, para carry covert 3", Colt Commander, Springfield XD service.

bullet lube is the problem. yes bullseye is dirty, but is good powder. clays will work, i have used it. i am now using aa#5 in my 45 acp loads. but to me it is just as dirty as bullseye, but i got a deal on several pounds and could not turn it down. i worked up loads for 9mm, 45 acp, and 40 s&w. get some cheap brake cleaner to clean the gun. just re-oil heavy after cleaning with brake cleaner.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links