Question on .40 S&W

This is a discussion on Question on .40 S&W within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hi Guys, I figured I would put this to the more experienced members here. Am trying to make my first .40 S&W reloads and coming ...

Thread: Question on .40 S&W

Question on .40 S&W

Hi Guys,

I figured I would put this to the more experienced members here. Am trying to make my first .40 S&W reloads and coming across something that has me thinking.

First off, I am using 180 grain Rainier round nose plated bullets. Powder is HP-38(Win 231), Winchester small primers, 1x brass.

Looking at the Hodgdon loading sheet, it states the starting load at 4.1 grains going up to 5.0 max. However the Lyman Manual(48th) says the starting load is 5.0, up to 5.6 for max.

My question is which one do I use? To me that is a big difference between 2 different manuals for the same powder. I don't want a kaboom, but I don't want to undercharge either.

Which load would you recommend starting out with. Thanks for any advice you guys could give me.

SY

2. Remove Ads

.... I wonder if either of those loads are specific to the ranier bullets, or if they are for traditional jacketed ammo? Raniers are plated and are softer than swaged jacketed ammo. This will matter to the loading data.

Sorry that I don't load the .40, but I do run raniers in.44 and .45. I tend to load them to the lower side of the scale... Not as slow as lead, just a little shy of ball charges.

Shizzle, just for clarification, the 180gr loads in each manual is for JHP, haven't found a listing for FMJ in that weight yet, was using it as a reference. Am curious as to why the variance in the 2 manuals for same type bullet and powder.

SY

My point was that *jacketed* data may not be applicable for *plated* bullets.

How much info is listed for those loads ? are they for the exact same bullet ? What primers ? Overall length differences ? What guns ? Barrel length ?

How about muzzle velocity between the two manuals ?

I guess what I am getting at is there is a lot more to it than putting powder in a case.

Shizzlemah, looked at the things you mentioned. I looked at same type bullet, 180gr JHP, same primer, 4in barrel. OAL was Hornady(1.135) vs Lyman(1.115). Only common powder in both manuals was WSF. For WSF powder load was the same, velocites were close, but the stated pressures were way different.

I also chked the Rainier site and they said to use lead data for the plated bullets. The Lyman manual is the only one with more than one sample for lead.

Now I am totally confused.

SY

Lead Moderator
    Suggested loading practice has been to load 10% lower than the chart calls for when loading plated bullets. I would start at the lower powder weight and work up . It's easier to tap a bullet out of the barrel than try to fix a Kb. I have not used 231 powder , but found with the powders I have used I can cut a charge weight in half and still get reliable cycling / function of my gun..
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

One more thing is how they sample pressures. CUP versus transducers, etc.

And the "same" bullet loading data should be as specific as a bullet mfg and part number.

0.020" makes a significant difference with the .40!!!!

Rocky, that is what I will do, I will start at the lower loading and go from there. I just wanted to make sure I was reading the different manuals correctly.

Shizzle, the Hodgdon manual didn't state what method they used to measure pressure. And yes I understood that the OAL would make a diff in .40, that's why I was asking, thanks for the responses.

SY

I reload my 40 S&W with AA#2 5.7GR to an OAL 1.130, CCI primer w\ Laser Craft 155GR RNSWC(L) "Round Nose Semi Wadcutter (Lead)" I shoot A XD40SC with the 3" Barrel. Shoots good I have had NO problems with this load. I got the load data form the AA web site.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Ranier recommends that you use the same loading data for their bullets that you would use with lead bullets.

Only a guess here, but, since they are first cast or swaged and then plated, Ranier bulletes may have a slightly larger diameter than Jacketed and therefore raise pressures.

speaking of reloading, i've been thinking about getting into reloading
    myself. any recommendations on getting started.(books,manuals,etc.)
    thanks in advance for any input.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Well it worked.

I put together 5 cartridges using these Rainier 180gr plateds. Went with 4.5 grs of Win 231 and an OAL of 1.125. tested on a Sig Pro. All 5 went off w/o a hitch, gun cycled fine, recoil was a little softer than factory(to me, anyway). Gun shot to POA @7yds. Putting together another 50 to try again.

Has anyone had any issues with using their own reloads in a Glock in .40?

For those that care, all cartridges put together on a Lee Classic single stage, using a Lee perfect powder measure and beam scale. Working for me so far.

SY

None that I've heard of. Dozens of guys I know fired hundreds of thousands of handloads in their Glock 40cals with no issues.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

When I worked up my .40S&W load for my Glock 23 and SIG P226 I started with the Hodgdon's website data and worked up 10 rounds starting with their low load and working up .1 gr all the way up to maximum load. I used my Glock to see how the rounds worked best. Personally, using Titegroup I found just under max was the best load for me.

This load worked very well in both my Glock and my SIG.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Hand loads are all I fire in my Glock 22 (40 S&W) and it eats them all up no problem, even the lead semi wadcutters (my bad). Only wished I liked the Glock for more than a fun range gun
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Links