Which Powder?

This is a discussion on Which Powder? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am going to load my first batch of ammo this weekend. I have my press all together have collected brass. I'm going to use ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Powder?

Which Powder?

I am going to load my first batch of ammo this weekend. I have my press all together have collected brass. I'm going to use Precision, 200gr. SWC, .45 cal. .451 dia. CCi primers. Since this will be my first powder purchase. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

It depends. There are things to consider like:

1) Burn rates --

Each name brand powder maker probably makes between 3-5 powders that will all do the trick. A slower burn rate = lower pressures and requires more of the powder. Some people think, me included, that the fuller you get the case w/o compressing the powder when you seat the bullet, the more consistant and accurate your loads will be. This is mostly true for rifles. I don't think it matters too much for pistols.

2) Clean burning --

This is not important to some people, but I like the cleaner burning powders. I think the faster burning powders are also the cleanest. With a dirty powder and poor ventilation, I find that the smoke obscures my sight picture somewhat, especially at indoor ranges.

3) Metering --

Some powders work better in specific powder drops. For example, Accurate Arms powders meter extremely well in my Dillon powder drop and once I get it adjusted properly, every charge I weigh will be right on the money. I just tried some Vihtavouri powder and found that it isn't quite as accurate and the charges can vary by a grain or so in the same drop.

4) Accuracy --

If all of your components are the same, except the powder, you will find variences in accuracy. This means that you will have to experiment and figure out what your particular weapon/s like. But, this is half of the fun.

With all of that being said, I can recommend some favorites (not in any particular order):

Hodgdon- Titegroup, Clays or HP-38
    Winchester 231
    Vihtavouri- N310 or N320
    Alliant- Red Dot, Bullseye or Unique
    Accurate Arms- #2, or #5

It seems everybody has an opinion of what the best of these are. Since I just started reloading for 45, I am still in the experimental stages myself. The only powder I have tried (for 45) so far is AA#5. I thought this powder was too dirty for my taste. It could be that I was trying minimum to medium loads with this powder and that's what was causing all of the smoke. I just cranked out some using VV N320 and will see how that goes. I will say that I really liked the AA#2 for 380 and 9mm rounds, but have yet to try it with 45. It is really clean burning and you don't use very much of it.

I know I probably wasn't much help here, it's just one of those "it depends" type questions. Good luck. Let us know what you try and how it worked for you.

Well I use Unique for my 45, and AA#2 for my 40 XDSC. if you read the post called " had a Problem today" and read the last post i made it will tell you the charge i used.

Unique would be a great choice for anyone,especially a new reloader. It is pretty hard to not notice a double charged case and pressures dont usually run all that high with Unique.

Yeah, it is a bit "dirty", but the advantages far outweigh a little fouling that you will clean up when you get home from the range.

My second choice would be PROMO---it"s cheaper and works well also.

I load bullets like that over light charges of Bullseye. A little dab 'll do ya'.

#5 is great. I use HS6 for all my 45.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Thank you for the replies. Some good tips there alfack. Someome else told me that Unique is a good starter. I'll go with that for now,then experiment with some others later.

Good Choice! I use 5.7GRs of unique with a 200GR RN plated set to a depth of 1.65. I you have any questions about any thing reloading wises don't haste to ask.

johnny

Unique is a very good starter powder. If you want get a pound of bullseye and I'll split it with ya.
    Have you shot the loads we made up yet?

Shooterwolf.

My Mentor. I haven't had time to blow my nose. Do I want Bullseye? What did we use that day?

Mentor or tormentor?
    We loaded your shells with Unique. I thought maybe you shot them and didn't like it. Bullseye is a good powder just quicker than Unique, making it harder to spot a light or double charge.

Shooterwolf.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post

My second choice would be PROMO---it"s cheaper and works well also.
    Have you had any luck with Promo and 200 grn. lswc's? I'm looking for a light clean target load.

Shooterwolf.

I'm a bullseye guy too. It's filthy, but it's fast burning and accurate.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I am using 4.7gr titegroup, (.40 auto-disk on a Lee reloader) works great for me. titegroup works nicely for 9mm, .40cal and .45acp.

Shooterwolf--- I usually load 5gr of PROMO under a 230cast lead bullet. Kinda stiff, but accurate in my guns. A decent starter load for a 200gr bullet might be similar to my regular loading and you could work up(or down) from there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links