Reloading for IDPA

This is a discussion on Reloading for IDPA within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I checked the archives for this an didn't see it (surprisingly). I'd like to start shooting IDPA with my 16-yr-old, but have not used my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading for IDPA

Reloading for IDPA

I checked the archives for this an didn't see it (surprisingly). I'd like to start shooting IDPA with my 16-yr-old, but have not used my Dillon Square Deal "B" for 15 years. I assume you want to use a 200gr SWC as I did when I shot IPSC. Can anyone tell me a good load to make the power floor for SSP&ESP (125,000) and for CDP (165,000) categories?

I may be shooting:
    Kimber Ultra CDPII (3")
    SA XD45 4"
    .45ACP Colt 1911 5"

That brings up another quesiton - I'm not sure what category I would shoot these 3 guns in - are all 45s shot in CDP so you don't have to compete with the 9mm? I have the IDPA manual but its confusing.

Any help is appreciated.

THX, JIM
    Jim Heffelfinger
    Wildlife Biologist and Author of "Deer of the Southwest"
    http://www.deernut.com

2. Remove Ads

Check the IDPA rule book first on the ammo reloading.
    IIRC ammo used must be commercial power levels if not grade.
    I don't relaod though (yet) so I'm not up on all the particulars to that end.

As to the classes one can shoot a .45 ACP 1911 in either CDP or ESP.
    I shoot in both. CDP is for normal 1911s that weigh less than 40oz.
    If over that weight limit then you bump over to ESP which allows a max. 43 oz. I shoot my Sig GSR under ESP because it's a big honkin piece of steel and is over the CDP limit by just over half an ounce with an empty mag.
    As to 9mm that can either be in ESP or SSP. I shoot my 9mm SA 1911 in ESP as well.
    Be sure to read the rule book per class in detail as the differences are subtle such as the above noted weight limits.

Welcome to the board!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Jang, I think they just have to make the power factor, not as hot as factory. If that is the rule, a LOT of folks I know are cheating!
    As to the calibers competing, as Janq said and you believe, you can shoot in either class depending on power factory you shoot. I think that it is not so much about calibers competing as ACTION types. You might check the manufacturer's web sites for load data if your books are as old as your SDB. I use Titegroup in my make PF in my 5 inch gun, but I don't know if my load will in all of them and have no idea what it would take to make the 3 inch run to the 165000 requirement.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Sheepdog, to get 165PF:
    185gr= 892fps
    200gr= 825fps
    230gr= 717fps

I would just load one load that meets both floors and shoot it in all my guns. My 45s get the same load and my 10mms get the same load.

What powders do you have on the bench?
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I believe the IDPA load my instructor uses is a 200gr LRN with 4.1gr of Clay's. That was just a tad over CDP power factor. Nice round, out of a 1911 w/ 5" barrel. Lead made it belch smoke like crazy, though.

-JT

The lube is to blame for smoke.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    As per the rule book

1. Power Floor.
    The goal is to compete with “service type” ammunition, not light
    target ammunition. Therefore, the following minimum power
    floors will be in effect:
    SSP - 125,000
    ESP - 125,000
    CDP - 165,000
    ESR - 165,000
    SSR - 125,000
    Calculate power floor by multiplying the bullet weight by the
    muzzle velocity. You will need a chronograph to verify muzzle
    velocity.

2. Official Chronograph Procedure
    Chronograph three (3) rounds at a distance of ten (10) feet using a
    gun of MAXIMUM barrel length for the DIVISION of the same
    gun type. If two (2) of the three (3) rounds exceed the power floor,
    the competitor is in compliance. Prior to each shot, the muzzle of
    the gun should be elevated to move the powder charge to the rear
    of the case, thus giving the competitor every chance to achieve
    maximum velocity.
    Should the competitor’s ammunition fail to meet the power floor,
    the competitor will have the option to chronograph three (3)
    additional rounds through his gun.
    If there is any question as to the bullet weight, a bullet should be
    pulled and weighed using a powder scale. Any competitor whose
    ammunition fails to meet the minimum power floor will be
    disqualified from the entire match and receive a DNF score.
    If I am not way off the reservation, the XD will land you in SSP and the other two in CDP. Now, if you are going to be into competition, running an XD in 45 against Glocks in 9mm is a losing proposition due to recoil. If you are in it for just the love of the game, you'll be fine.

Now, "legal reloads" for IDPA? You will need a chronno to check your loads. Gaming Loads without it? Start on the bottom of the load chart and increase the weight till the gun functions reliable with the caveat that the round that might work for the XD might not work for the SA or the Kimber so you might end up having three separate types of loads to fit your every gun. IMHO just get one that works reliable for all three guns. And if ever go to a sanctioned match, just buy factory ammo and shoot with it.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Addition...

I forget to add this morning that the main reason I shoot my 9mm 1911 in ESP is because ESP allows single action where as SSP supports only double action.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Wow, I would have to download considerably to get to 165 PF. I run 10mm at 227 PF. I run 45 Auto at 211 PF.

A 230gr bullet to at 717fps hardly seems to me like "service type" levels. That seems like "light target" ammo to me. a 175gr 10mm at 1300fps and 235gr .45 at 900fps seems more reasonable.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I suspected shooting the XD45 would be a disadvantage in several categories - that's not my carry gun anyway. My intent is just to get very familiar with my carry gear, not to see how well I can do against others. I just want to have fun and I have a 16yr-old son who just wants to shoot something...and a lot of it (chip off the ol' block). I think it would be a blast to do this together. I'll use a 3" Kimber Ultra and he can use my 5"Colt. We'll get a load that will make CDP power floor with both. I don't have any powder on the bench - it has been too long, but I need to get some and wanted to load up some rounds and take them to the next match to watch and see if they'll chrono them for me (I don't know anyone with a chrono). You all have helped a lot, now my question is a little more focused. I'm looking for a recipe that will send a 200gr lead SWC 825fps in a 3" Kimber. I can do some experimenting with loads but w/o a chrono I would like a head start. The recommendation with Clay's is one (may have to up it a little to get that out of a 3"); any others hints?

Thanks, JIM
    Jim Heffelfinger

Reloading .45 ACP Page

Looks like 4.3G of Clays, among other loads, should do the job, but I think those are clocked out of a 5" barrel IIRC.

Hope that helps.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

THX

Well that answers that!

Like trying to get a sip out of a fire hydrant! Thanks Pete!

JIM
    Jim Heffelfinger

Go with Accurate #5. It was designed specifically for the 45 Auto. It meters like sand, very accurate in powder measures.

I don't like to use the standby quick powders like Bullseye, Clays, 231, etc. I like the newer powders like HS6, Longshot, WSF, and #5.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Yep, no problem at all. Note on that page it says those are near max loads.

I'd start a few tenths of a grain under the recipe, clock those, move up a few tenths of a grain, repeat until you meet the power floor with the 3" barrel.

I've never actually reloaded for .45 before (only .38 and .357) so take my advice with a grain of salt

Good luck, and good for you for getting your son involved with IDPA that young - I didn't even know what it was for some years after that age. I wish I would have, I'd probably be a heck of a lot better by now

Peace,
    Pete Zaria
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by DeerNut View Post
    I suspected shooting the XD45 would be a disadvantage in several categories - that's not my carry gun anyway. My intent is just to get very familiar with my carry gear, not to see how well I can do against others.
    I wish more LEOs did that! The local IDPA group here allows LEOs and active duty military to shoot for free.

-JT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links