Getting setup

This is a discussion on Getting setup within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hi, I got a few questions on getting setup for reloading. Most benches people are using look to be about bar stool height from the ...

Thread: Getting setup

Getting setup

Hi, I got a few questions on getting setup for reloading. Most benches people are using look to be about bar stool height from the pictures I have looked at of others setups. But eyeballing it from a picture does not help much when setting up my own. So, What height would you suggest, either exact number or approximate ie waist high?

Aside from reloading tools and components what other items do you find helpful to have near the reloading bench?

When testing a load for accuracy how do you do this? Is there a target that is better for this than say just normal targets? I am starting loading 45 acp. Normal shooting range distance is about 20-25yards on a silloutte target. For fun shooting about the same distance on about 3 inch square steels. At these distances I would not say I am a good enough shot to tell one load is more accurate than another. Hoping to improve from being able to shoot more from reloading.

Also any tips, words of advice, or random comments are always welcome.

Thank You,

2. Remove Ads

To figure out how high to make your bench you need to figure out if you are more comfertable reloading sitting or standing. Dont forget you have to make your bench strong to put up with all the force from your press(s). (dont use a hollow door)
    a good thing to have by your reloading bench is a small vacum or a air compressor to remove and powder or dust. if using a progressive press dont forget to cover up the lase under the powder through die before useing a vacum or air compressor to clear any loose powder.
    Another important thing you might want to consider if you have not reloaded before is a good book on how to reload. I thought modern reloading second edition by richard lee was a good one.
    Have fun reloading!

Here is what I did to create my own bench about 5 months ago. Clean pictures because I took this one before I ran one piece of brass through it... It's not that clean now.

Home Depot cut all the pieces, but it's easy.

4 - 4x4 cut to 30" to put the overall height to about 31".
    4 - 2x4 cut to 21"
    4 - 2x4 cut to 49" - I had them cut to 48", so they are an inch short.
    3 - 2'x4' MDF boards - actually 24" x 49" - The top 2 are glued together with wood glue and screwed down into the 4x4s.

Also need some 3 1/2" and 1 1/2" screws to screw it all together. It took about 4 - 5 hours to build since Home Depot had made all the cuts, except the notched out bottom shelf. I think all the material cost under $100, but I had bought some extra things I needs so I don't have a exact cost - I bought a jig-saw and a 90 degree square to be sure it was square. It's very solid.

Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

To evaluate accuracy, it is best to shoot bullseye type targets, or bullseye on a grid style. Just measure the groups of each load and decide better or best.

Silouettes aren't ideal as you may re-aim to a slightly different point on each shot. Steel is fun, but it can be tough to see the hits and you never see where the misses go.

Also, it's a great assistance to shoot using a ransom rest to keep the gun consistent. If not (they are pricey) use both hands and keep the gun on a sandbag or two, on the bench at the range. You don't want to be testing your skills as a shooter for this - just keep the sights set, take advantage of a solid rest, and pull gently :)

Mine is 35" tall. I sit on an office chair raised up all the way, except I stand when loading shotgun.

07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Hah! fatboy, your bench looks like a larger version of mine. I built it in my apartment when I was in college. I wanted something portable, so I could store it, then bring it out and sit on the couch, while I was loading. The top is 2x4s glued together, then planed to make a flat surface. I should have got the strong mount, but hey it works.

If you're not handy with wood, I bought a bench close to this sytle from Sears.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    If you're not handy with wood, I bought a bench close to this sytle from Sears.

Hoss
    I tried the Sears way first... found that damaged and had to return it, hence the reason I built my own, and I'm not handy with wood. That was the reason for the very simple design and having Home Depot cut almost all the wood.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

A loading bench is a very personaized thing in my opinion. I have stood at many other peoples benches and they didn't feel right to me and I've had many at my bench say the same. You can see that I like to sit in a normal chair but my presses and stuff is on a shelf at eye level. This bench (really just an old army surplus desk) has been in my family for 50+ years now and has seen a lot of reloading.

"Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Jeff where did you get the large stackable bins? that looks like a cool setup

I picked those up when I was working in Ohio for a cellular company there. They were closing one of their install shops and were just throwing or giving away stuff. I do believe they originally came from here though.

Shelving & Bin Storage, Plastic Bin Boxes | TESSCO 800 472 7373
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Thank you for the info. This helps much.

Links