reloading the .223

This is a discussion on reloading the .223 within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I was looking on Barns Bullets and I did not see any thing for .223. But i did see bullets for the .224, can i ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reloading the .223

reloading the .223

I was looking on Barns Bullets and I did not see any thing for .223. But i did see bullets for the .224, can i use the .224 in my .223?

thanks Johnny

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    .224 is .223.

Most bullets are actually larger than the caliber states. For instance, most ..357 is actually .358, most .30 calibers are .308, the list goes on and on.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

hmmm I did not know that...

.224 is .223.
    Exactly----I use the same for my 22-250. That's just the way it is. I don't think you'll find .223 bullets. I have some Barnes VLC coated I believe. Those blue tips sure look nice sticking out of a nickel plated case! They shoot well too. .224 is .223---that's why you see groves from the rifling on fired bullets.

Senior Moderator
    hmmm I did not know that...
    Yep...it dosent stop there either.
    American designations show no rhyme or reason.

For instance, the mighty .44 Magnum actually uses a .429 dia. bullet.

Most .32 calibers are actually closer to .31 caliber. The .45 acp normally uses bullets that are .451, yet the .45 Colt uses bullets that are .454.

9MM bullets are .355, but can be used in .38 or .357. I've actually done that and they shot very well.

The 7.62 x 39 mm rifle uses bullets that are .312, yet the 7.62 x51 uses .308.
    but both are considered .30 cals.

The .444 Marlin uses .44 magnum bullets which are 429. When most guns are shooting cast lead bullets, they are usaully sized bigger such as .430 for the .44 or .452 for the .45ACP.

and there are a multitude of examples...

One of the reasons why is important to understand exactly what you are reloading.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

You can get bullets in .223 diameter, but these are for the 22 Hornet. It was originally designed with a bore diameter of .223. There are others that have varying bore diameters that are mostly now obsolete cartridges. 22 Jet was .222 as an example. All modern .22 cartridges have a standardized bore of .224 now.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

were do you guys find all this info??

Johnny,
    Are you currently a reloader or just looking into starting? If you are currently a reloader, where are you getting load data from? I believe every good load manual I have (Sierra, Hodgdon, Speer, Hornady, Lyman, Oregon
    Trail) list bullet diameter for any given cartridge as part of the data. Some of the powder manufacturers I've checked that provide data on the internet, Hodgdon (Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester) & Accurate Arms do list bullet diameter but Ramshot, Alliant & Vihtavuori do not. Wikipedia has a decent page that lists bullets and then the calibers and other information.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I reload. I have a speer, and a Lyman. I am new to reloading... less than 600 rounds made.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Hi, I've been reloading for 30 years and have several threads on experimentation on AR15.com and American Backyard Forum. I urge you to get a good reloaders handbook, let me recommend the latest Speer eidtion. (I get all of the every 3 years)
    Then go to a specific reloaders forum, ammoguide.com, the handloadersnest.com, stevesreloadingpages.com, and read, read, read.

For cheaper bullets go to wideners.com they sell 5000 milspec 55 grain for 345.00 free shipping
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have a pet load for you...

If you get the 62 grain TSX bullets....

26 grains of Reloder 15
    Winchester brass
    Federal 205M primers
    2.26 OAL.

That load gets 2900 fps from my M&P 15 (16 inch chrome lined barrel)...and it groups 10 shots in 1 inch.

Match Accuracy

At Graf and Sons:
    Federal 55gr FMJBT w/cannilure $287.71
    Hornady 55gr FMJBT w/cannilure $357.66

They are both very accurate bullets.
    I like a mid weight charge of Ramshot TAC and a Lee factory crimp for Match accuracy.

midway usa is another great sauce for reloading and bullets etc

Midway has sure gotten a bunch of my money lately. The one thing that sure frosted my butt was getting charged $20 hazardous shipping fee for primers and another $20 for powder on the same order. I got so mad I dropped both the primers and powder from the order. No sooner then I did it and our Wal-Mart sporting goods manager started carrying reloading stuff. After 2 weeks HQ Wal-Mart made him put it all on sale and stop carrying it I guess because it was not their idea. I got 3000 primers for $25 per thousand. I ordered 4 lbs of IMR 4895 and don't know if I'm going to get it or not. If not I'll wait until I make a trip to one of the towns around here that have some reloading componets. It's at least a 120 mile drive to get anything. My last order to Midway for just brass and bullets ended up as $385 but should last me a while.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links