Barrel length

This is a discussion on Barrel length within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I've notice that a lot of data has the test barrel for some handgun loads at 16 inches. How many FPS do I loose per ...

Thread: Barrel length

Barrel length

I've notice that a lot of data has the test barrel for some handgun loads at 16 inches. How many FPS do I loose per inch for a shorter barrel? A ballpark figure is all I'm looking for.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

2. Remove Ads

For normal pistol barrel lengths (3 to 6 inch barrels) you can generaly figure about 35 to 50 FPS per inch. I have never chronographed the longer barrels, so I could not say for sure. I am sure that it varies considerablely by caliber and type of powder (Slow burn rate vs Fast burn rate).

Using data for a 16" barrel in a 3-6" barrel would be pointless. You'd lose plenty of velocity, and have a giant muzzle flash.

Last time i seen a pistol with a 16" barrel was when that little kid pulled that thing outta his pants in the John Wayne movie the"Cowboys"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't have a 16 inch barreled handgun. A friend is working up a .40 cal load for a powder that I can only find data on for a 16 inch barrel, and he thinks he's way too hot when it comes to FPS. However, he's way below the FPS published by the powder manufacturer for a 16 inch barrel.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I don't know if this is going to be much help, but with a 44-40, the book says that you will loose about 200 fps, with various powders going from a 24inch barrel down to a 6 inch barrel.

That being said, I shoot out of a 4.5 inch barrel with my 44-40 and loose about 3 to 400 fps, from the 24inch and 1 to 200 fps from the 6 inch. I know alot of this is determined by the pistol platform, and since Lyman is not using a pistol but a universal reciever with the data they are showing for the 44-40.

I would look at teh cases and check for overpressure and chrono the round when you find one that is just below the pressure threshold.

Good Luck
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links