New to reloading, Need advice

This is a discussion on New to reloading, Need advice within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Ok, so I plan to reload .223 when I build me AR. I go to the range every six months with the Coast Guard so ...

Ok, so I plan to reload .223 when I build me AR. I go to the range every six months with the Coast Guard so there is my free brass. I would like to get the list of things I need to buy to reload. I want to get the Lee Classic Turret Press, Lee Pro Auto disk powder measure, and Lee safety Prime feeder. I know I am going to need powder, bullets, and primers. What else would i need? If you can give me a list of things i would need it would be greatly appreciated. I would like this setup here: Lee Clasic Turret Press Reloading .223 - AOL Video

Thanks in advance

The list could be long and expensive or short and cheap, it all depends on your commitment.

The first thing you should buy is at least 2 reloading manuals, Speer 14th edition and Lyman would be a good start, as you read them you will get an understanding of what reloading entails and also a good run down of equipment required.

I want to know what the things needed to reload. Not the extras

If you're picking up brass from a military range, you're going to need one of these. The one I've linked to is one of the cheapest ways to go but if you're going to be doing huge volumes of brass, you may want to look into some of the motorized systems but remember, removing the crimp only has to be done the first time it's reloaded. Also, since you're loading for an auto-loader, you may need a small base sizing die. If you don't already have 223 dies, I would suggest buying the small base type up front and save the possible expense of buying one first that won't work. However, if you don't mind the possibility of extra expense, you may want to go ahead and try standard full length resizing dies first as they will make your brass last longer if they will work for your rifle. All depends on how tight your chamber is.

Have fun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I buy bullet tips at wideners.com you get 5000 55 grn Milsurp bullets for 345.00 w/free shipping,powder valley has wolf small pistol primers for 90.00 5000,and have good prices on powder also.I have a dillon primer pocket swaging tool it was like 90.00 but you slide a deprimed case on it and pull the lever and it's ready to load no reaming,You will need a case trimmer to trim cases once they get too long.I use lee full length sizing die and it comes with a factory crimp die.you will need case lube most people like hornady one shot,if you don't lube rifle cases they will get stuck in the resizing die.A set of calipers for measuring case length from fired brass and Over All Length on reloaded rounds,there is a minimum and maximum.A powder scale to check powder charge to make sure you don't over charge a case
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I bought the ABC's of Reloading today. I'll read that. Thanks

Thumbs up Cost of reloading

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    Ok, so I plan to reload .223 when I build me AR. I go to the range every six months with the Coast Guard so there is my free brass. I would like to get the list of things I need to buy to reload. I want to get the Lee Classic Turret Press, Lee Pro Auto disk powder measure, and Lee safety Prime feeder. I know I am going to need powder, bullets, and primers. What else would i need? If you can give me a list of things i would need it would be greatly appreciated. I would like this setup here: Lee Clasic Turret Press Reloading .223 - AOL Video

Thanks in advance
    I'm about 650.00 into setting up just purchased:

Hornady LNL AP Progressive Turret Press (comes with your choice of1000 bullets)
    1 lb Vitavuori N340 powder
    Shell Plates for 45, 380 and 9mm
    Carbide Dies sets for 380,9mm and 45 ACP
    Frankford Arsenal Tumbler
    Case Separator and tray
    Dillon Primer Flip Tray
    Extra Primer tubes Large and Small Primers
    Gem Electronic Scale accurate to 0.05gn
    Electronic calipers
    Dillon Primer low signal
    Lee Reloading Manual (Hornady comes with the Press)
    Lyman Reloading Manual for large and small Pistol
    Cleaning media and Polish
    1000 45 rnds once fired brass
    1000 380 rnds once fired brass

I figure I'll break even about 2011 but I'll have fun getting there and my range costs will go waaaaaay down and my range visits can even go up.

Bill

Links