Quicky for someone who knows 9mm

This is a discussion on Quicky for someone who knows 9mm within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Like so many other people i am doing a break down on cost per round for reloads to present the numbers to the financial unit ...

Thread: Quicky for someone who knows 9mm

Like so many other people i am doing a break down on cost per round for reloads to present the numbers to the financial unit (wife) I have seen all the different spread sheets and all but how many grains of powder does a "standard" 9mm load take? as a rough estimate to see how far powder goes.

and on a side note does anyone out there use magtech bulk brass? and if so how many reloading do you generally get out of it?

Welcome to the forum.

If you didn't already know this, the amount of powder depends on the TYPE of powder.
    5 grains of a fast-burning powder might produce higher pressure and velocity than 9 grains of a slower-burning poweder, and so on.

This page may help: Reloading 9 MM Luger Page

The "average" from that page would seem to be around 5-5.5g but again, it depends completely on the powder.

Remember to work up your loads, and stay safe!

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

thanks pete

Yes i am familiar with the differences in powders i have reloaded alot on larger rifle calibers .270 .300 win mag and the likes its just been a couple years and a move away from my grandfathers reloading bench, never thought the day would come reloading handgun ammo would seem worth it. thanks for the link.

I don't reload for 9mm (Actually I don't have reloading equipment right now) but my favorite all-around handgun powder is definitely Unique. It's pretty easy to work up loads for, too, since there's so much data for it.

I'm not sure you'll actually be able to reload much cheaper than buying it bulk online.
    You can get 1,000 rounds of 9mm practice ammo (Sellier&Bellot brand) for $170 with shipping.
    Let us know what you find.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I am sure i will too and it always opens up more options to find what your gun really like. it will probably be awhile until i get loading. thanks for the unique tip something to look into more.

I reload with unique and use 5 grns behind a 125 grn lead bullet,I use wolf primers at $90.00 5000,and buy 8 lb. kegs of powder,I cast my own bullets from lead wheel weights and reload for about .05 cents a round,Brass is free at my gun range and good for about 10 loads if the case splits it's done
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My current loading is 124gr copper plated bullets with 4.7 grains of hp38. It's a little on the light side, but I like to be a little economical.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Thanks for all the input

I have just been running numbers till this point and to rationalize purchasing of all equipment new to load 9mm is not the most economical at this point in time plus the issues of space for a work station and explosive strong box and the like hamper it for now. looks like i have to be the responsible adult and put it on the backburner till some family things like getting into a house are takin care of thanks for all the input on the thread

Theres 7000 grains in a pound if that helps you out
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links