Hand Reloading Presses for low volume work

This is a discussion on Hand Reloading Presses for low volume work within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hi guys, the cost of shooting is getting to expensive for me now, I can see the prices rise right before my eyes, it's crazy... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Reloading Presses for low volume work

Hand Reloading Presses for low volume work

Hi guys, the cost of shooting is getting to expensive for me now, I can see the prices rise right before my eyes, it's crazy... I was looking for something that I can use for low volume work, I am not a competitor or anything, and it would be nice to be able practice cheaper.

After looking on midwayusa's site, I saw these 2 brands of handloading presses, has anyone here had experience with the Lee Hand Press Kit:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=624416

Thinking about reloading .357mag, 9mm and .45ACP with it.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

2. Remove Ads

The lee challenger anniversary set has basically everything you need but the dies for each calibre,I think a mounted press is easier to use than something you can slip and drop with a charged case resulting in recharging it before you seat and crimp a bullet,It might be a little pricier but I think you would see the benefit overall.I don't wanta tell you how much i've invested in bullet casting and reloading equipment.but it's more than paid for itself in ammo costs and i started off with a lee 1000 progressive.I reload for about 10% of what a box of factory 45 acp bullets cost and about 1/3 of what 9mm cost
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The lee challenger anniversary set has basically everything you need but the dies for each calibre,I think a mounted press is easier to use than something you can slip and drop with a charged case resulting in recharging it before you seat and crimp a bullet,It might be a little pricier but I think you would see the benefit overall.I don't wanta tell you how much i've invested in bullet casting and reloading equipment.but it's more than paid for itself in ammo costs and i started off with a lee 1000 progressive.I reload for about 10% of what a box of factory 45 acp bullets cost and about 1/3 of what 9mm cost
    What about this though, the RBB press with everything needed?

MidwayUSA - Redding Boss Single Stage Press Pro-Pak Kit 357 Magnum

I am VERY interested in this one here. I vow never to buy commercial ammo again, the cost is killing me and these reloading equipments are looking more and more attractive.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

If you are going to spend that kind of money then look at a progressive press,you will turn out bullets 10 times as fast and less changeout time,also once you have your dies set in the turret you don't have to readjust everytime you remove them,A lot of people like the hornady loock and load,I have a Dillon 550 and a lee pro 1000 the only thing I don't like about the lee is the primer feed is on the same station as powder charging and if powder trickles on primer feed chute can cause primer feed problems.my dillon picks up the primer on a sliding arm and slides it under case to be primed it's a better priming system and i believe hornady has something similar
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    What about this though, the RBB press with everything needed?

MidwayUSA - Redding Boss Single Stage Press Pro-Pak Kit 357 Magnum

I am VERY interested in this one here. I vow never to buy commercial ammo again, the cost is killing me and these reloading equipments are looking more and more attractive.
    to save more money if you can find a tire store to sell you they're used wheel weights then get casting equipment and cast you're own bullets,you will never pay shipping costs again,I cast for about a penny a bullet

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I like my Lee classic, I can produce 150 rds an hour comfortable and am involved in each one ensuring quality. Also easy to switch calibres.

I would recommend getting a turret press, and get it in the kit mode. Your going to need a things other than just dies and the tooling.

I use a Lyman, but Lee makes some good low priced kits from what I understand. The turret presses let you set up your turret and be done with it, changing calibers takes about 1 minute or less.

Not the fastest, but not the slowest either. Getting started is pretty reasonable priced too.

MidwayUSA - Lee 4 Hole Turret Press with Auto Index Deluxe Kit
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Lee and RBC's entry kits are highly rated. But if you buy them get a good scale! You don't wont to blow your gun up or you!

For a single stage press look at the Lee Classic Cast Press with the hornedy quick change adapter set for it. High end go with the Forster Co-Ax Single Stage Press.

For a progressive press look at the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP very nice machine. The progressives from all makes mite require some fielding to make run.

the lee challenger kit includes most of the stuff you need and the new breech lock must make it easier to change dies

The Lee hand press is a good press. You can make rounds on your couch if you want with it. It's slow, but it works well. I've used it on the range to make loads actually, which is another strength. See how a load groups, then make the change right there to see if it improves/worsens.

I have a turret press for mass reloading, but the hand press still gets used from time to time. It is a good way to get started as well.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

RCBS Rock Chucker

I started reloading for 38 Special with one of the old Lee loaders. The kind that just had the dies and a mallet was used drive the die onto the case to size it. It had a scoop to measure the powder. Anyone remember that far back? The reloads shot fine in my Colt Offical Police 38. Tried a Lyman "nutcracker" reloading set for a while too. In 1964 I bought a RCBS Rock Chucker and have loaded tens of thousands of cartridges with it, from .22 Hornet to .300 Win Mag and everything in between. I am still using the same press today for 38 / 357 mag, 30-06, 25-06, 7.62X39 and .22/250. The press is a little looser than when it was new but still reloads an accurate cartridge.

Two years ago my son bought a low priced progressive reloader (won't mention brand) that did not work out. Sent it back for a refund.

The point is to get something that will last. In the long run it is cheaper.
    Life NRA member since 1974
    "I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day." 2Tim1:12
    Go Army
    SFC

The best way to learn (and understand) reloading is to start with a simple press. I still use my 35-year old RCBS Junior.

I think learning the basics this way will keep you out of trouble when you go progressive.
    YOU CAN ONLY HAVE TOO MUCH AMMO IF YOU'RE ON FIRE OR DROWNING!

Benefactor Member NRA -- Life Member GOA -- Life (Christian) Member JPFO -- Card Carrying Minuteman

I started with a Lee Pro 1000. Had to much time and trouble with the primer system, sold that unit and aquired a Lyman turret press. Very happy with the Lyman. I can load about 100 rounds per hour with this, which is fast enough for me.

CR2008 i bought a rcbs single stage press just like the one shown in the pic. and it has served me well for over 25 yrs i was going to upgrade to the ROCK CHUCK press bud did not see the need to invest in the extra money now,the single stage press loads all of my hand guns and rifle calibers with no problems

I started with a Lee loader as well. Hint, do not get one.

I have a progressive (Loadmaster) and a single stage. They both have their use. I have considered a hand press, but the only use I could ever think of one was working up a load at the range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links