9mm OAL

This is a discussion on 9mm OAL within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I've been reloading 45ACP for about a year and just got in the equipment to reload 9mm and 40S&W. I use a Dillon RL 550B. ...

Thread: 9mm OAL

9mm OAL

I've been reloading 45ACP for about a year and just got in the equipment to reload 9mm and 40S&W. I use a Dillon RL 550B. I consider myself a novice and don't want to make any mistakes reloading these higher pressure rounds. I only have one hard copy manual, Lyman's 48th edition.

I'm going to try the 9mm before the 40, using plated round nose, some of which are Berry's which seem to be more of a LCN or long conical nose. I use the data for LRN's or LCN's for powder charge. I'm also using Win 231 powder and Win WSP primers. I do have some Unique and Hodgdon Clays powder so please correct me if I'm using the wrong powder.

While setting up my dies today there was no way I could come close to the manual's OAL of 1.125". It seems like the best OAL I could produece was around 1.067-1.069". The OAL of 1.125" comes from the Hodgdon/Winchester/IMR reloading data center web site.

Am I seating the bullet too deep and thus causing too much pressure? Any help on reloading the 9 and 40 would be great.
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

2. Remove Ads

OAL is maximum they also have a minimum OAL not to exceed,I reload with unique and a 125 grn lrn bullet with an OAL of 1.150 for a 115 grn bullet you are looking at around 1.095,if you let me know bullet weight i can help you more
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sorry, I thought I had all the info covered. I'm loading 124 grain.
    None of my info gives the minimum OAL. I was pretty sure there is one but I just can't find it. BTW, I'm shooting a Glock 19.
    Last edited by 40FIVER; June 22nd, 2008 at 09:54 PM.
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

124 grn lead bullet start win 231 3.3 grns never exceed 4.0 grns min OAL.1.095 maxOAL 1.169
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    hope you are not shootin lead out of that glock, if so make sure you clean it good. dangerous pressures

Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post
    hope you are not shootin lead out of that glock, if so make sure you clean it good. dangerous pressures
    That is true glock recommends you not shoot lead however he's shooting plated bullets,the load criteria for plated is the same as lead,I will admit i shoot lead in my glock 17 and never had a hiccup ....yet but i clean it after about 50 rounds.The safest thing would be to buy an aftermarket barrel you can safely shoot lead out of.I haven't shot my glock in over 6 months due to other handguns I shoot that don't have the barrel situation

I don't plan on shooting plain lead through my Glock, but I do appreciate the warning.

It looks like my problem might be with either the plated bullets or the brass. I'm trying to reload some Winchester white box and Remington UMC brass that I bought and shot.

My 124 grain berrys plated round nose will slide right in the brass without my putting any bell on the brass. The bullets are measuring at a consistent .354-.355. On some of the brass the bullet will almost fall in. Did the brass expand enough to not be able to use them?

I have some brand new winchester brass that the bullets will not go in without some bell. I ran one of the new pieces of brass through the resizing die and a bullet will not go in it, so I don't think the die is over-sized.

I never had this problem reloading 45ACP, but I'm still a novice and far from experienced so what am I missing?
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:

you need to buy .356 dia bullets so they fit the case tighter,the case will crimp tight enough to hold the smaller diameter round but after you fire a larger diameter bullet the smaller diameter will slide in the case mouth without belling

Links