Federal Primers with a Lee Primer feeder???

This is a discussion on Federal Primers with a Lee Primer feeder??? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; So while at Cabelas buying reloading stuff, my buddy bought 1000 Federal Small Rifle primers. Then while reading the books, Richard Lee insists that one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Primers with a Lee Primer feeder???

Federal Primers with a Lee Primer feeder???

So while at Cabelas buying reloading stuff, my buddy bought 1000 Federal Small Rifle primers. Then while reading the books, Richard Lee insists that one not use federal primers in his equipment. Does anybody ignore this warning? Anybody ever heard of the whole thing actually blowing up?

As a side note, I've noticed that some guns have a bit of a hard time with cci primers. The Lee book says to use cci or winchester. Are winchesters more reliable or easier to detonate?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Haven't heard that, I've run about 4K CCI through my guns, not one Failure in the bunch. Also run about 1K Winchester, no issues there. All were loaded start to finish on Lee equipment, I haven't seen the Federal primers at the shop where I get my primers.

Those were small and large pistol primers buy the way, well, about 30 were large rifle, I haven't loaded any small rifle yet. But wouldn't think one would be more or less reliable amongst the same brand. Just my 0.02
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Federal has some of the softest primers. If you baby it, I imagine you would be okay, but I wouldn't recommend it if Lee doesn't. Only ever used Winchester and CCI though in my Lee presses.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Senior Moderator
    I only use CCI primers in my Lee
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Lee and Federal Primers

One MORE reason not to use Lee equipment. It is true that Federal primers are some of the easiest to initiate on the market. However it is also true that they are some of the most consistent. If lee would simply remove some of the "slop" from their equipment, these problems would not occur.
    John

It still takes quite a bit to set a federal primer off,and even if the primer does go off it's in an empty case with no pressure,I've reloaded thousands of rounds some with federal primers and never had a bang yet,I have had situations where the primer was "crushed" trying to seat it in a case and didn't fire
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You can also use the buddy system,have your buddy push on the priming lever while you use both hands to plug your ears ,just in case
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You can also use the buddy system,have your buddy push on the priming lever while you use both hands to plug your ears ,just in case
    HAHA, that's kinda what we did. Although I don't see how one going off in the press can set off the rest, nor do I see what would make one go off in the feeder.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I use whatever is on sale. Winchester, CCI, and Remington have all worked for thousands of rounds in Lee presses.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I find CCI primers pretty hard, I have also crushed many primers with no bang so far.

I have deformed plenty of primers in my lee 1000 progressive press. Their primer feeder needs work...you really have to keep your eye on it and "feel" at the bottom of the down stroke that the primer is going in correctly. None have ever gone off.

Wear your safety glasses and don't worry about it.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by pcammo View Post
    One MORE reason not to use Lee equipment. It is true that Federal primers are some of the easiest to initiate on the market. However it is also true that they are some of the most consistent. If lee would simply remove some of the "slop" from their equipment, these problems would not occur.
    John

+1 Get Dillon equipment. Next question

Quote Originally Posted by Jay6 View Post
    +1 Get Dillon equipment. Next question
    The primer feed on the lee pro 1000 is really bad part of the problem is it's right under the powder drop so any powder granules that spill past the case can clog the primer feed,but my dillon 550 is one of the best

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The primer feed on the lee pro 1000 is really bad part of the problem is it's right under the powder drop so any powder granules that spill past the case can clog the primer feed,but my dillon 550 is one of the best
    When I first got into loading I tried to go the inexpensive way and purchased a Lee Turret press. I still have it but shortly after I saw the error of my ways and went with a blue press and have never looked back. Well worth the extra money if you load on a frequent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    I have deformed plenty of primers in my lee 1000 progressive press. Their primer feeder needs work...you really have to keep your eye on it and "feel" at the bottom of the down stroke that the primer is going in correctly. None have ever gone off.

Wear your safety glasses and don't worry about it.
    You have to adjust the tension screw under the shell carrier so that the case advances well before the primer is pressed in. It seems that if you don't set it up this way you get more bad primer feeds. Once you get it set up right you'll have very few problems.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links