Reloading Virgin

This is a discussion on Reloading Virgin within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; My buddy wants us to split the cost of a reloader, and reload in his garage. I should mention that neither of us have reloaded ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Virgin

Reloading Virgin

My buddy wants us to split the cost of a reloader, and reload in his garage. I should mention that neither of us have reloaded before. He wants to get a progressive reloader and is exclaiming that we could reload 1000's of rounds in just a few hours, etc. Are these big, expensive reloaders worth it, and are they really necessary for the quantity that we are talking about? (Hell, I was just going to get a Lee Hand Reloader since I live in an apartment and don't need to load 1000s at a time). Can anybody tell me the pros and cons of these systems?
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

2. Remove Ads

I reload and cast my own lead bullets,My master caster bullet maker will crank out about 5-600 bullets an hour and that ain't breaking a sweat doing it,A decent progressive will load around 3-400 bullets an hour pretty easy.The lee pro 1000 loaders seem to require a little more tinkering to get them running decent where my dillon 550 has a better primer feed and powder drop system,the powder amount on the dillon is controlled by turning a nut on the dispenser the lee dispenser requires replacing the powder disk to a bigger or smaller cavity,the dillon is easier and quicker.the lee is cheaper,the dillon I think is a better more problem free machine.But the lee setup for one caliber is around 135.00 and the dillon will run about 4 times that plus each calibre conversion depending on what you need is more expensive.I reload 9mm,45acp,380,40S&W,44 magnum,223,308 on my dillon and i believe I paid around 900.00 for the setup with only one powder hopper I just setup for whatever i'm loading.I personally have over 3000.00 in reloading equipment but I have paid for it at least twice over in difference between factory ammo and my reloads.If you have any questions you can PM me and we can talk by phone so you guys can decide which way is best for you to go.Steve
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I use and love the Lee Classic Turret. Less than 200 to get setup and I have paid for it many times over. You can find it at https://shooters.securesites.net/kgs...mart&Itemid=41

All you really need to add is a set of calipers and a scale. The upgraded version is worth the extra 20 bucks or so. It's a good value for getting started, and IMHO, splitting a $200 investment will probably work out better than splitting a $1000+ investment.

Caliber changes are easy and it comes with the 4 hole turret with the factory crimp die which seems to help me get more consistent ammo.

The best investment either one of you could make are several reloading books.

Good luck.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I started reloading just over a year ago.

I would highly recommend picking up an inexpensive single stage press of some sort, a good powder measure, a good scale, some case prep tools and a tumbler.

Start basic. If you later decide you need an expensive multistage press system, go for it. They're not the best idea for a beginner. If you purchase good tools, they'll last a lifetime, and you'll use them... even if you do decide later on you want a super-duper automated press.

Take your time, learn the process, and play it safe. An accident with this particular hobby can be very expensive indeed!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Unless you are going to shoot A LOT, I'd go with less expensive stuff. Let me say that my lee classic turret is not in the same class as a dillon 550, but it got me going for 1/4 the $$. Even if I want to shoot 500 rounds a week, it's still only a couple hours one day after work to load that many. I'll probably only shoot that many a month, so I'm quite happy to have gone lee.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    IMHO a progressive is a good investment. You can quite often pick up a used Dillon at a gunshow. I have two Square deals which are great if you only load pistol calibres. And if you don't like it, you can probably re-sell it for what you paid for it
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    IMHO a progressive is a good investment. You can quite often pick up a used Dillon at a gunshow. I have two Square deals which are great if you only load pistol calibres. And if you don't like it, you can probably re-sell it for what you paid for it
    Looking at this one now. Dillion Square Deal reloader
    What do you think?

VIP Member
    Sounds like a nice setup. Be sure to compare prices with what you can get a new one for. I may not be the best guy to ask if that's a good price. I got a package just like that a few years back for the same price including a Smith & Wesson 686 4" in new condition. Granted, I lucked out. This guy's wife had decided he didn't want to go shooting anymore.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    Looking at this one now. Dillion Square Deal reloader
    What do you think?
    Unless I'm mistaken, with the Square Deal, you're stuck with one caliber......

I am fairly new to reloading also, only for about 6 months now. I have the Dillon 550B which is a progressive.

The only problem with progressive loaders is you need to be careful of double loading the powder when you need to stop and remove a round and then start over.

I always run 10 rounds and leave them in the drop bucket, then check the powder measure and crimp and OAL. If this is good, I set them into the box. If not, then I only have to re do 10 rounds instead of 100 or more. As far as the Dillon goes? Never had one to change powder measure on me yet. Set it and forget it.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

VIP Member

Sorry Sgt Mac

You are mistaken. The Square Deal is easily converted from one caliber to another. For convenience I have one set up for large primers (.44, .45 etc.), and another for small (9mm, .38 spl, .357 etc.). It only takes a few minutes to change calibers this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, with the Square Deal, you're stuck with one caliber......
    No, with the square deal you are stuck with pistol rounds. It will not load a rifle round.

VIP Member

Technicaly you are wrong, luvmyglock

My Square deal loads for my Marlin .44 and .357 rifles. Granted I am splitting hairs and yes as previously posted the SD is for pistol rounds. Will I see you at the Glock match in Bremerton in September where we can discuss it further? The first round is on you. Maybe I can find some real beer there (read import). LOL.

luvmyglock, where in Wa are you?
    My dad has the lee pro 1000, and has no problems at all, granted he can only do pistols. I have the loadmaster and have had problems with the large primer feed, but I bypass using the primer feed on the press (use my RCBS hand primer) but I can crank out roughly 100-250 rounds an hour when I really get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by polardaddy View Post
    luvmyglock, where in Wa are you?
    My dad has the lee pro 1000, and has no problems at all, granted he can only do pistols. I have the loadmaster and have had problems with the large primer feed, but I bypass using the primer feed on the press (use my RCBS hand primer) but I can crank out roughly 100-250 rounds an hour when I really get into it.
    Polardaddy,

I live in Lacey, WA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links