Can you get away with neck only sizing for a .223 AR?

This is a discussion on Can you get away with neck only sizing for a .223 AR? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I'd like to try it, but if you tell me not to waste my time I won't....

Thread: Can you get away with neck only sizing for a .223 AR?

Question Can you get away with neck only sizing for a .223 AR?

I'd like to try it, but if you tell me not to waste my time I won't.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't suggest trying it for the AR. In fact, I use small base dies when reloading for my ARs, though some may find this unnecessary. I neck size only for my bolt rifles if they are the only rifle I have in that caliber (300 Win Mag, 22-250, & 204 Ruger). The reason I limit neck sizing to rifles I only have one of in that caliber is that a round fired in one gun and neck sized may not fit in another gun. I learned this the hard way once when I had several hundred neck sized rounds for a 22-250 that I traded off for a new one and none of the rounds could be chambered in the new gun. In each rifle that I neck size for, the bolt force required to close the bolt is noticeably heavier than with rounds that are in virgin brass or have been full length resized. Since the AR (or any semi-auto for that matter) doesn't have the advantage of applying additional camming force to loading a round, I would not suggest neck sizing only for the AR.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I wouldn't suggest trying it for the AR. In fact, I use small base dies when reloading for my ARs, though some may find this unnecessary. I neck size only for my bolt rifles if they are the only rifle I have in that caliber (300 Win Mag, 22-250, & 204 Ruger). The reason I limit neck sizing to rifles I only have one of in that caliber is that a round fired in one gun and neck sized may not fit in another gun. I learned this the hard way once when I had several hundred neck sized rounds for a 22-250 that I traded off for a new one and none of the rounds could be chambered in the new gun. In each rifle that I neck size for, the bolt force required to close the bolt is noticeably heavier than with rounds that are in virgin brass or have been full length resized. Since the AR (or any semi-auto for that matter) doesn't have the advantage of applying additional camming force to loading a round, I would not suggest neck sizing only for the AR.

Hoss
    What he said,bolt actions can be closed with more force on bolt,semis can jam if the ammo is too snug
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thank you, I can now move on to my next bad idea...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Don't feel bad. I'd probably ask the same question if I were to start reloading for my auto-loaders. I neck size only for three different calibers-bolt actions only for me. I just don't feel it would be feasible for my semi-autos as any accuracy improvement would be minimal. Accuracy is my main intent in reloading for rifle cartridges.

Links