Problems with Hornady Lock N Load Progressive!

This is a discussion on Problems with Hornady Lock N Load Progressive! within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Anyone with this have problems? I have set this up and encountered many problems. First, the case activated charger was unable to work so called ...

Anyone with this have problems? I have set this up and encountered many problems.

First, the case activated charger was unable to work so called Hornady. Representative told me there is a recessed stop ring in the powder die. The bushings all would fall out the bottom.

Tonight, same thing happens to the Hornady bullet seating die. Loading SWC on the down stroke entire contents of die fall out (the SWC insert that went down the top, along with the piece that accepts the bullet. It looks like another of those rings.

Trying to get these thing to prime ALL THE TIME. Seems about 1 in 3 get no primer as it is not priming on every stroke. Any ideas to make this more consistent?

Are these recessed things going out all the time, or my bad luck? I REALLY want to like this press, but testing my patience.

All together now, can we say "Dillon"? Sorry, don't mean to aggravate your problems and I've always liked the looks of the Hornady machine, but given that 99.9% of what you read/hear about Dillon is positive, I've never been brave enough to try anything else since my first disastrous experience with a RCBS progressive. Been using Dillon machines for 25+ years now.

Sounds like you're having a lot of problems with your dies which I find confusing. Doesn't the L-N-L machine use standard dies? If so, I use Hornady dies almost exclusively and have NEVER had any problem with them.

Sorry I can't offer any real help or advice. Only advice I could have given would only have been worth anything before you made your purchase.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I have no experience with that press But my lee pro 1000 required tinkering from time to time and if I wasn't mechanically inclined woulda been a real headache,I own a dillon 550B and It's the best easiest press i ever used.It sounds like you don't have something installed right,You might have a friend that can turn a wrench see if he can figure it out by reading the instructions.Isn't the hornady lock and load the press you have to install the dies into lock rings and once they're adjusted you unlock the ring and pull them out? And you need a set of lock rings for each set of dies,so if your not using the lock rings I guess the dies may just drop through,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I also have the LnL AP, mine is an older model, and I got it used, so I have been through some of the very probs. you are speaking about (except the dies).

The die prob. sounds like a QC prob. to me, and you should be able to get help from Hornady, you mentioned speaking to them.

You didn't say whether your press was new, or an older unit.

The priming tube can be adjusted slightly to enable the slide to pick up the primers easier(if your LnL is a newer model, the primer syst. was redesigned a few years ago). You can also chamfer the primer hole in the slide just a little with a small countersink(very little). If your LnL is an older model, as mine was, you will want to get the new syst. $65-70.00 IIRC, $ well spent.

If you do a lot of pistol and other low volume rounds, you might consider the Lee Pro Auto-Disk powder measure instead of the Hornady. The Lee is very simple, small, and dead-on accurate and repeatable. It doesn't need all the linkage etc. that the Hornady uses. A friend suggested this to me, and I tried it - haven't put the Hornady back on as of yet.

I don't have any Hornady dies, so can't help you there, but if push comes to shove, I have about 50% Lee and 50% Redding dies. The Lees are a good die for the $ and seem to give up nothing to most others, altho' they are admittedly almost too short for the LnL, just replace the Lee lock ring with a Hornady, and they will stay in adjustment better, the Lee rubber O ring doesn't stay in adjustment for me. The Lee Deluxe die sets come with a Factory Crimp die, as well as a powder through expander die for each caliber.

Hope this helps,
    Jim
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I have no experience with that press But my lee pro 1000 required tinkering from time to time and if I wasn't mechanically inclined woulda been a real headache,I own a dillon 550B and It's the best easiest press i ever used.It sounds like you don't have something installed right,You might have a friend that can turn a wrench see if he can figure it out by reading the instructions.Isn't the hornady lock and load the press you have to install the dies into lock rings and once they're adjusted you unlock the ring and pull them out? And you need a set of lock rings for each set of dies,so if your not using the lock rings I guess the dies may just drop through,
    This is a brand new unit, just got set up. You are correct, you screw the dies down into the Hornady bushings until set, then tighten the lock ring. When removing these, you just remove the bushing from the press rather than the die.

My main problem is with the dies themselves, first the powder then the bullet seating die.
    If you look at this bullet seating die below, the piece that comes out of the die (don't know terminology?), after seating a bullet, this piece along with the SWC piece you dial down on top of the die fell out of the die and landed on the workbench. Odd, since there was no force and had loaded many rounds before. I'll see the rings when Hornady sends these, but seems to be a week area in their dies as this weak piece must hold everything inside.

Quote Originally Posted by hinkleid View Post
    This is a brand new unit, just got set up. You are correct, you screw the dies down into the Hornady bushings until set, then tighten the lock ring. When removing these, you just remove the bushing from the press rather than the die.

My main problem is with the dies themselves, first the powder then the bullet seating die.
    If you look at this bullet seating die below, the piece that comes out of the die (don't know terminology?), after seating a bullet, this piece along with the SWC piece you dial down on top of the die fell out of the die and landed on the workbench. Odd, since there was no force and had loaded many rounds before. I'll see the rings when Hornady sends these, but seems to be a week area in their dies as this weak piece must hold everything inside.

I use lee dies in my dillon and I've never had the problem you mention,I wonder if it's just the way their dies are put together,but it's apparent something "broke" to just let the internals fall out,if you have another set you could compare them and see what is causing the problem
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have a set of Hornady New Dimension dies in 45 Colt that have seen more use than any other die set I own (my CAS Caliber). They have easily loaded over 10,000 rounds of ammunition and have never experienced any of the types of problems you're having (or any problem for that matter). I really have no suggestion other than to contact Hornady.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I just purchased a new lock n load and haven't had any problems with it. I'm using Hornady dies. I did change the rotor in the powder measure to the small pistol one but everything seems to be working fine. At least for the first couple hundred rounds of 45 ACP. I would like a better way to keep track of how many primers remain in the feed tube than just counting the number or completed rounds.

The die problems certainly sound like it was either set up incorrectly or there's a problem with the die from the factory. I have heard of them not flaring enough (usually fixed with proper adjustment and/or a spacing washer) but never falling apart.

For the priming problem, try adjusting the locking pawls down below -- the ones that advance the shell plate. It's likely that the shell plate isn't stopping to center the brass perfectly over the primer hole. Read the manual to understand what these do and adjust these a little at a time and only one at a time. Once you get it right then it should be fine for a very long time.

Links