45 ACP Maximum OAL

This is a discussion on 45 ACP Maximum OAL within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; What is the Maximum OAL for 45 ACP. Anyone? I Just started reloading 45 and found some recipes but need that. Thanks...

Thread: 45 ACP Maximum OAL

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar

45 ACP Maximum OAL

What is the Maximum OAL for 45 ACP. Anyone? I Just started reloading 45 and found some recipes but need that. Thanks
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

2. Remove Ads

1.275 max length
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    1.275,but that length can cause problems in some pistols. If they wont feed properly in your gun, reduce charge and seat a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    1.275,but that length can cause problems in some pistols. If they wont feed properly in your gun, reduce charge and seat a bit more.
    Wow if you were to put that much Unique in a case it would blow the gun! What powder are you using, you can guess what my favorite is real easy.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Wow if you were to put that much Unique in a case it would blow the gun! What powder are you using, you can guess what my favorite is real easy.
    I use unique and use 5 grains which may fill the case about 1/3 of the way my OAL is 1.250 and they feed great in everything
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    i use Bullseye and HS6. Thanks for the Info. When Loading the SWC the shoulder of the bullet seem to look a little different and I started measuring a Manufactured Load and got confused . Reloading can make you a bit Paranoid. Busted a primer accidently for the first time the other day in the press. Still cleaning the mess I made it spooked me so bad.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Yes, OAL will vary depending on the bullet used. If you're flying blind, use the longest OAL that will reliably feed in your gun and work up slowly.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Shape of the bullet is also a factor. I was using a conical shaped bullet in 45acp and the shoulder of the bullet kept the round from properly chambering. The action would not properly lock up. If I used a different brand of bullet or a different shape, I didn't have that problem.

I'm using 3.4 grains of Bullseye and a 185 Gr FPRN lead bullet (Magma mold) OAL is 1.20

It works in all my autos and Revolvers

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar

Unique mostly, but I never said how much. Only that 1.275 length may be a bit long for some pistols. Also advised to reduce charge to compensate for shorter seating depth.

Glad to see a bunch of Unique Freaks like me out here, the stuff has been in use for almost 100 years, and it just keeps getting better.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Originally posted by: Unique mostly, but I never said how much. Only that 1.275 length may be a bit long for some pistols. Also advised to reduce charge to compensate for shorter seating depth.
    I'm a little lost here. Why would you decrease the charge if if the seating depth is shorter? I assume by that you mean the bullet it not seated as deep. That would create a greater space and less pressure wouldn't it?

Are you having any feeding problems? if so sometimes it is not the OAL, I have found with a lot of high end 1911's have very tight clearances and not much room for case stretching. The recommended case length is .898 if your case is too long no matter how far back you seat the bullet, you will have feeding problems. for the first time ever I had problems with ftf's and all the cases were
    1-2mm too long.
    found that unique was a very dirty powder have you tried bull's eye? great powder.
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    I'm a little lost here. Why would you decrease the charge if if the seating depth is shorter? I assume by that you mean the bullet it not seated as deep. That would create a greater space and less pressure wouldn't it?
    Exactly, the deeper you seat the bullet the more pressure you create with the same charge of powder. Best to start with the longest OAL that will function in your gun and work down from there to get a recipe you like.

Also, for the OP. What are you using these rounds for? Different uses will make a difference on what you want to make. I am currently using 4.5 gr of titegroup at 1.25 for OAL. This is my match round which just makes power factor with jacketed hollow points but would be fairly weak in terms of a SD round.

I am a little confused? He mentioned overall length of the bullet not how much powder he was using?????

Links