STD. Pistol primer vs. Magnum in 357

This is a discussion on STD. Pistol primer vs. Magnum in 357 within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; when do use standard pistol primers?? and when should you use magnum pistol primers in a .357? In what i have been researching, some say ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

when do use standard pistol primers?? and when should you use magnum pistol primers in a .357? In what i have been researching, some say always use magnum primers in the .357, some say none, and some say it depends on the powder used? Can anyone shed any light on this subject? thanks in advance for the info--AL

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    My rule of thumb has always been to use standard primers for quicker burning powders and target loadings. And to use mag primers for "full house" mag loads with slower powders due to the possibility of incomplete ignition. Or hangfire. Dont need that when faced with a BG.

Senior Moderator
    Use what the reloading book says to use.
    Some data is with standard primers and some is with magnum.

Just do what the book says.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

^ +1, yep, do what the book says.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I have used magnum primers when it was what i had and since my loads are usually just below or right at start loads i've never had a problem but you should go by load data to be really safe,as far as SD even tho my loads have gone bang everytime i pulled the trigger in the last year I only carry factory SD ammo.If for no other reason I don't want some DA trying to say I loaded a more powerfull load that was intended to kill
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    ^ +1, yep, do what the book says.
    Another +1 for "read the manual". IIRC, I think speer 13 shows mag primers for certain powders and regular pistol for others.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

thanks to all for the info on this subject -- i follow what the book says -- but that is where the confusion seems to lie -- you read one book and then another book; same bullet weight, same powder type, same powder weight (more or less), one book says to use small pistol, and another book says a magnum primer? that's when i went ugh??? (lol)

Senior Moderator
    Yea, they're all different , but you have to remember that they are using different guns to test their loads in.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

so? i guess i need to just stick with that paticular recipe and see what works best in my 686.. thanks

Senior Moderator
    The slower burning pistol powders generally use magnum primers. You see this alot on H110, W296,and AA#9 in barn bunring loads for .357and .44 Mag. All of these powders use a good load density.

Your faster range and medium burn rates usally dont require magnum primers. As long as you use the load book reccomendations you'll be OK.

Some pistols shoot better with full house loads. I have a Dan Wesson .357 that loves the max loads, but is just so-so with mid range loads. You just have to experiment to find what works best, but thats part of the fun of it.
    Last edited by HotGuns; September 9th, 2008 at 06:55 AM.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    [QUOTE=HotGuns;840516]The faster burning pistol powders generally use magnum primers. You see this alot on H110, W296,and AA#9 in barn bunring loads for .357and .44 Mag. All of these powders use a good load density.

Ya might want to check out your information there HotGuns. Those are SLOW burning powders in pistol loads. As are a few others--4227 and Blue Dot to name a couple. Fast burning powders are Bullseye,Red Dot, 700X and so on. My personal favorite,Unique, is a mid- range powder in handgun loadings. It is also good for 3 1/4-1 1/4 12 gauge shotgun shells as well as most 20ga loads. It can be useful in SOME reduced charge loads for lead bullet rifles. That is what makes it UNIQUE!

Senior Moderator
    You are correct, Coffeecup. Thankyou for that. I ought to know not to post when I should be in bed. Edited to reflect that.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

thanks for the good info (and that minor correction from mr. coffee-lol) i will follow the guide books and if i find everthing the same except for the primer type i will try both -- does barrel length have an affect on burn rates -- does it the length affect which type of primer to use?

Senior Moderator
    Yes it does, especially with the slower powders. Using a slow powder in a short barrel will cause a big muzzle flash because a lot of the powder doesn't burn until it hits the air. Then it's fireball city.

It takes a longer barrel to burn the powder up and get to maximum pressure.

A long barrel with a quick burning powder hardly has any flash at all because the powder it used up before it hits the atmosphere.

If you use a magnum load in a 4" in revolver, and you are using slow powder, the same load in an 8" revolver will show a higher speed as measured in FPS.

Its also a higher pressure. If you are at a full house load as shown in a reloading book, and you substitute a magnum primer, it could be enough to be a problem.It may or it may not, but you wont know until you shoot it, and by then its too late. No sense taking a chance on ruining a gun or getting yourself hurt.

When it doubt, its better to be safe than sorry.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

thanks to all- just wanted to make sure that i was doing it right

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links