What's causing .223 stuck cases?

This is a discussion on What's causing .223 stuck cases? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I'm getting a bunch of stuck cases while decapping/resizing .223 brass. Here's the lowdown: Lee Classic Turret Press with 4-hole conversion Lee .223 full-length resizing ...

Thread: What's causing .223 stuck cases?

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar

I'm getting a bunch of stuck cases while decapping/resizing .223 brass.

Here's the lowdown:

Lee Classic Turret Press with 4-hole conversion
    Lee .223 full-length resizing die
    Assorted once-fired brass (manufacturer doesn't seem to matter)

Laid out about 80 tumbled cases on newspaper and sprayed them from the mouth end with One Shot, rolled them around, and let them dry for 30 minutes.

decapped/resized about 30 cases with no problems whatsoever.

STUCK CASE! Pulled right out of the shellholder, mangling the rim of the case.

Read instructions and kinda-sorta followed them. Loosened decapping pin collar, and it came right off the pin, which was hopelessly stuck in the case. Whacked the top of the pin with a hammer until the case came out. Pin still stuck in case. Cut neck off of case with wirecutters, removed case, pulled neck ring off of top end of pin.

Next case was uneventful. (but I think I bent the decapping rod a little)

Next FIVE cases got stuck. After the first, I sprayed One Shot up into the die.

I gave up.

Any ideas what's causing this, and how to fix it? I'm considering buying a carbide FL sizing die, but as near as I can tell, only Dillon makes them, and they're damned proud of theirs, to the tune of $100+.

I also use One Shot when sizing .223 cases. What I've found to help is to shake the can every time I use it to make sure it is mixed well. If that doesn't work, polish the decapping rod with 1000 grit sandpaper, and switch to imperial sizing wax like I did. I have not stuck a case with it yet sizing .308. I did stick .308 cases with oneshot.
    Texas Citizens Defense League©

http://txcdl.org/

I have had a few cases that seem to be harder to resize than other cases,what i do is force it in the die a little then back it out then force it in a little more then back it out a little at a time til i resize the whole case,I'm thinking the brass may be 5.56 military brass which has thicker case walls
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I just finished decapping/sizing 200 .233 cases, none stuck.

I set the cases on the rim and spray One Shot on all sides including the case mouth.

I then size & decapp while the cases are still damp from the One Shot
    No waiting-no rolling- No stuck cases

I would put my money on a bad die. Some are rougher than a cobb and will cause all kinds of problems. Had a Lyman 357 sizing die like that once. You can try to polish the inside of the die body or try to get it replaced and see if the problem goes away.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Your die probably has a scratch. Check it and spring for a carbide sizer. I like the Dillon spray better then the one shot also.
    -Biker

Dillion Carbide dies

[QUOTE= I'm considering buying a carbide FL sizing die, but as near as I can tell, only Dillon makes them, and they're damned proud of theirs, to the tune of $100+.[/QUOTE]

I'm using the Dillion .223 FL Carbide Die, with this die you must still lube your cases. I use Dillions case lube, works great. The carbide die will last longer if you reload alot and give your cases a little better shine. I must say Dillion may be a little higher in cost, but they always work and they have a "No B.S. lifetime warranty".

Stargzer
    Ret. USAF MSgt.
    NRA Life Member

I had this same problem with my first .223 setup I used to use. I actually took a q-tip with lube on it and ran it around the inside of the neck a little bit after lubing the outside. I found this to help a great deal. Good luck!

You still need to lube with carbide dies. They are designed for commercial loading to reduce wear on the dies. For the casual reloader they are a waste of money.

I use Lee .223 dies and HOS (Hornady One Shot) lube. Roll them on a lube pad and you're set.

Do a "shake and bake". Put a bunch of brass in a big bag. Spray a bunch of lube in there. Close it up and shake it all around. Lubes the cases just fine.

Usually stuck case means not enough lube.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Try some Imperial Sizing Die Wax. That's all I use anymore. A tin lasts forever, you don't have to breathe it and it keeps your hands baby soft!

I use the LEE classic single stage

press to resize all my .223 cases. I use the Hornandy quick change collets on the lee. I can do 1000 in a couple of hours. I use imperial wax as it the best thing I have found to do resizing work BAR NONE. The main thing is to tumble your case until they are really clean. I leave the spent primers in while tumbling.

I use the Lee 4 Hole Turret Press to do my reloading .223, 9mm, and 45 acp. I use the single stage to reload for my .270 deer rifle. I use the perfect powder scale to set up me LEE powder dispensor both manual and the one that goes on the turret. These dispensors look really cheap when you first lay eyes on them but they work as advertised which is good enough for me.

Alot of people trash LEE but all in all LEE products are pretty good for the price.

HOS is NOT GOOD! You need to use Imperial Die Wax. HOS has lead to more stuck cases then any other lube. The problem with it some times the reloader does not let the carrier evaporate and thus get no lubrication. And, they do not use enough. Basically reloader error for the most part. I have never stuck a case with Imperial Die Wax since I quit using HOS in 97! It goes on easy!

Where HOS sort of is good is a light coat of brass to be used through a progressive press when loading straight walled handgun rounds!

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I solved the problem.

I bought a set of RCBS dies. 300 rounds later, haven't had a single stuck case.

(Not trashing Lee.....I just think a bad die slipped through in this particular instance. It happens.)

Most stuck cases in dies are operator error. Not enough lube! Or in the case of some people, they do not let the lube set up. I gave up on HOS a long time ago, using Imperial Die Wax I have never stuck a case! Lubing the inside of the case neck has nothing to do with stuck cases, what it does help with case elongation when you pull the case back over the expander ball.

Sponsored Links