Crimp Die Question???

This is a discussion on Crimp Die Question??? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Reloading Newby question here. I have a 30-30 Lee Pacesetter 3 die set with the "factory crimp die". I really like the crimp is puts ...

Thread: Crimp Die Question???

Question Crimp Die Question???

Reloading Newby question here.

I have a 30-30 Lee Pacesetter 3 die set with the "factory crimp die". I really like the crimp is puts on, it holds well and looks nice to boot. Also there is no possibility of crushing the case with it since it squeezes the neck with the collet.

My question for those of you who have experience with this stuff is, will this same die work to crimp .308 Winchester ammo as well? Judging by the way it works, it seems the collet would work on either. After all, they are the same diameter and the depth can be set on the press. There is no engagement of the rest of the case as far as I can tell.

The reason I ask is because if this crimp die will work on .308 Win, then I'll save some $ by getting a two die set for my .308. Originally I would have done that anyway and just used the roll crimp in the bullet seating die or none at all, since my .308 is bolt action, but I really like the crimp this thing puts on better than a roll crimp.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Good question and I have no idea if it will work or not, but you could make up a DUMMY .308 round and give it a try.(NO PRIMER OR POWDER) The worst that could happen is a stuck case if you are careful not to apply too much pressure.

Unequivocally yes.. I've got one that I use on everything from .223 to .300 Win Mag. Use it for pistol calibers as well.
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

While you most certainly could try it to see if it would work, I would find it highly unlikely. It appears to me that contact by the sliding collar with the shell holder is what activates the collet to compress. That would mean that case length is a factor which has to be compensated for by the length of the die body. Since the 308 is much longer than the 30-30, my guess is that it would end up trying to apply the crimp around the shoulder area or at least much too far down the neck. I could be visualizing the process incorrectly so let us know if it works out.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I would agree with cvhoss, the case length is going to be a factor. It might work, but I have a suspicion that you'll be adjusting the die back and forth between calibers. If I remember correctly the 30-30 and .308 also use different shell holders, so you'll have to purchase an additional one if it doesn't come with your dies.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Ok, I'm gonna give it a go and see what happens.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Links