Riddle me this Riddle me That

This is a discussion on Riddle me this Riddle me That within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Okay new reloader still learning as much as possible. I have been working on my 243 loads and am getting MOA groups at 100 yards ...

Thread: Riddle me this Riddle me That

Okay new reloader still learning as much as possible. I have been working on my 243 loads and am getting MOA groups at 100 yards pretty consistently now. Preparing it for hunting I fine tuned the scope adjustments and then popped off a few groups at 200 yards. Surprisingly my groups were only about 1.25" to 1.5" consistently. So at 100 yards I am about 1 MOA consistently then at 200 yards .6 to .7 MOA, why not closer to 2 MOA. I was under the impression (remember new reloader here) that if my group size was 1" at 100 yards I could expect 2" at 200 yards and 3" at 300 yards and so on.

Wind was relatively nonexistent this trip.

Not looking for flames only instruction or enlightenment.

Thanks
    BB
    Paul Graham
    Clean-um, Prep-um, Pack-um, Load-um, Bang-um

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlack View Post
    Okay new reloader still learning as much as possible. I have been working on my 243 loads and am getting MOA groups at 100 yards pretty consistently now. Preparing it for hunting I fine tuned the scope adjustments and then popped off a few groups at 200 yards. Surprisingly my groups were only about 1.25" to 1.5" consistently. So at 100 yards I am about 1 MOA consistently then at 200 yards .6 to .7 MOA, why not closer to 2 MOA. I was under the impression (remember new reloader here) that if my group size was 1" at 100 yards I could expect 2" at 200 yards and 3" at 300 yards and so on.

Wind was relatively nonexistent this trip.

Not looking for flames only instruction or enlightenment.

Thanks
    BB
    Most of the 6mm and 6.5mm bullets are rather long for their diameter, I would GUESS that it takes more than 100 yards for the bullet to settle down and stop yawing..

Are you going on loadbook OAL's or are you running your bullets out toward the lands?

I am seating bulletsd .020" off lands
    Paul Graham
    Clean-um, Prep-um, Pack-um, Load-um, Bang-um

Brian is spot on ! Just like an arrow from a bow, it takes a while for the long bullets to settle down and fly true.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlack View Post
    I am seating bullets .020" off lands
    Every barrel shoots differently. That's the beauty of hand-loading your own cartridges. Experimentation and finding the sweet spot for your rifle. Removing the inconsistencies of generic factory loadings and tailoring to your rifle. The 6mm family being such long bullets in the heavier range can be pushed forward even more while still retaining a good amount in the case neck. Realize that pressures can go up either way you go from the factory OAL so figure your charge weight accordingly. Your box magazine will limit your OAL as well. I've run some of my 6.5x55 loads out to within .012" of the lands with excellent results in the 120-140gr. Weight and twist rate as well as barrel length are all factors, then there's free floating and action bedding to remove other variables. Then there is separating your cases, and neck turning also. Sighting in/grouping your rifle and loads at the range on a 75 windless day with 80% humidity and going on your hunting trip on a 30 frosty morning with 28% humidity are different. While turning a hunting rifle into a precision instrument is admirable, it will have it's limitations. Don't expect too much, and don't be easily disappointed. Change one thing at a time and keep good records.
    I was under the impression (remember new reloader here) that if my group size was 1" at 100 yards I could expect 2" at 200 yards and 3" at 300 yards and so on.
    Since you are custom reloading, I think you can throw some of that out the window. Ballistics charts and the math are aids but shouldn't be totally relied upon and...........
    Most of the 6mm and 6.5mm bullets are rather long for their diameter, I would GUESS that it takes more than 100 yards for the bullet to settle down and stop yawing..
    May be why they are favorites for the 600yd+ competitions?
    Happy reloading!
    http://www.reloadammo.com/243load.htm
    http://loaddata.com/loads/243caliberloads.html
    http://www.centerfirecentral.com/calibers/243/243.html
    http://www.shootingtimes.com/ballist...inchester.html
    Last edited by Ram Rod; October 22nd, 2008 at 02:41 PM.

What your referring to with the 1" @ 100yds and 2" @ 200yds etc. is minute of angle (moa). This is merely a device which is used to gauge acceptable accuracy from a rifle at a given range. 1 moa is actually a tad over 1" but it's usually just rounded off for convenience. It really becomes important when shooting a tang sight and making elevation and wind adjustments or for a scope when doing the same although a scope is usually marked in 1/4 moa increments.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links