Reloading question.

Reloading question.

This is a discussion on Reloading question. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I reloaded about 500 rds. of 5.56 for my AR using military brass and the starting load for AA2230 powder. The problem I'm having is ...

Thread: Reloading question.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Reloading question.

I reloaded about 500 rds. of 5.56 for my AR using military brass and the starting load for AA2230 powder. The problem I'm having is the fired cases are showing flattened primers. Like I said this is the starting load. There are no other signs of high pressure. I'm just wondering if I can fire the remainder without harming the gun, or if I should pull all the bullets and start over.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Flattened primers are only one sign of POSSIBLE high pressure. They aren't always an indicator of excess. Do they completely fill out and overflow the primer pocket? In your opinion, do they look substantially different than primers in factory loads fired in your rifle? Perhaps the primers have a softer cup than primers in factory loads that you've previously used. Military cases have a smidgen less case capacity than commercial cases but would not be troublesome with a starting charge weight of AA2230 which is a really good .223 powder. I'm guessing that you're perfectly alright unless the gun has a problem with head space. Is the AR a custom build? Other obscure possibilities are the accidental use of small pistol primers, an error in reading the powder scale that caused a charge weight that was actually more than desired, or the use of a bullet heavier than intended.

Certain hand loads in certain firearms show somewhat flattened primers for me but a little alteration of the exposed surface of the primer is different than a flattened primer from an obviously excessive load.

Military cases have a smidgen less case capacity than commercial cases
    Agree. What about OAL? I only reload for my bolt actions, but again we see the possible 5.56 vs .223 issues. If one is using military cases, I'm thinking they should be loaded to military specs instead of the .223 Remington. Seating bullets deeper, or more forward than the listed loading criteria can both increase pressures. Signs of increased pressures scare me. That's one reason why I only do a 20 round batch for a new load and test it before making more. If it were me, I'd compare/search for more load data, then decide if you need to pull them and change the charge or seating depth. How much is your rifle worth to you? How much do you figure your time loading 500 rounds cost? You can reuse all the components. My 2. Need more input from the real pros on this issue.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Thanks for your feedback. I did fire some factory loads and the primers looked fine. On my loads the primers are really flattened, they don't overflow the pocket, but do fill it. Regarding the cases, they were all sized and trimmed using a Lee case trimmer and gauge. The primers are Remington small rifle. I guess a good starting point would be to pull a few and remeasure the powder charge, then take it from there. Thanks again.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Yeah good idea pull a few and re check your load, also I would weigh one of the bullets too to verify weight.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I reloaded about 500 rds. of 5.56 for my AR using military brass and the starting load for AA2230 powder. The problem I'm having is the fired cases are showing flattened primers. Like I said this is the starting load. ............
    Who's starting load? Accurate doesn't list a 2230 starting load for the AR (1/7 or 1/9 twist rates) on their web site, only for 1/12 twist. On top of that, most reloading manuals recommend a 10% reduction in starting charge weight when reloading military cases. It's possible that with the combination of the two factors (military cases and fast twist) you may be a bit hot. If you'll email me with your bullet and actual charge weight, I'll try and look it up for you. I subscribe to LoadData and they list thousands of loads from multiple sources. My email is hoss@kansascas.com . (mods- no need to alter my email address as this is on my web site anyway)

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Sponsored Links