Flawed or not, will this work?

This is a discussion on Flawed or not, will this work? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Okay I want accuracy plus speed. I know faster does not always equate to better accuracy but I want a blend of both. Here is ...

Thread: Flawed or not, will this work?

Flawed or not, will this work?

Okay I want accuracy plus speed. I know faster does not always equate to better accuracy but I want a blend of both. Here is my game plan on developing some future hand loads. My goal is to achieve the best accuracy/speed combo without wasting a lot of components and since I have started reloading various calibers I am working up a collection of partial powder containers.

Step 1: Load up one cartridge of each weight stepping up in .5 grain increments from min to max. Shoot each cartridge over the chronograph going from lightest charged to heaviest. Watching for pressure signs and monitoring speed. This step is basically to test the upper end of the charge scale and see if it is safe in my rifle and also to see the approximate fps gain for each half grain increment and see if the speed increase flattens at a given point.

Step 2: Once complete with step one load up 3 cartridges each of the top 5 loads from above. Now shoot these for groups at 100 still using my chronograph. If one load shows promise then work around it in smaller increments and more shots per group (maybe 5). If not try a different powder that I have on hand known to work in the cartridge I am loading and repeat from step 1.

Again my goal is to find a good accurate load with upper end velocity. I know sometimes slower is more accurate in certain combinations, but I feel with the right combination I should be able to get both or at least a good balance.

Thinking out loud but thought this would be good food for the brain!
    Paul Graham
    Clean-um, Prep-um, Pack-um, Load-um, Bang-um

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Why dont you do a little research first? I know that some of the older Lyman manuals had "accuracy loadings" posted in them for most rifle calibers. I would start with one of the "proven" loads and work from there.

To find the most accurate load, the common thought is to start at the suggested starting load and work up from there by .2 grains, checking for accuracy. When you find the most accurate combination you will have the best velocity and the most accurate round. Once you pass the most accurate round, you will be getting velocity but loosing accuracy.

Personally I would not worry about chronographing every round until you find the most accrurate one. What is the point of knowing the speed of the bullet if it isn't hitting what your aiming at.

What are you doing with the rounds? What caliber are you shooting?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Accuracy and speed can go together in some cases. A friend has a .240 Hot Tamale that will shoot sub 1/2 minute groups all day long.

The round is a 8mm Rem Mag necked down to take a .24 caliber bullet and loaded with a God awful ammount of powder, but it throws a 85gr bullet a consistent 4250fps. Muzzel blast is PAINFUL!!! and the cost to shoot is way up there, but it is thing of wonderment.

The custom rifle alone cost a bit over $5000 and it is a beauty. It will vaporize groundhogs over in the next county if you do your part. I watched him shoot a coyote way out there and when we went to look at it the entire front half was missing.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    It IS achievable! My .30-06 shoots the Hornady 165 grain SST .25" - .40" at 100 (1.1" at 300) and chrony's at 2900 fps! I had help working this load. A friend has a program called QuickLoad. He determined the "sweet spots" for MY rifle. One of them was this particular load (at the top end of the scale).

Farron's suggestion for loading in .2 grain increments is the most effective (IMHO) method of working from scratch. Extreme velocity is meaningless if you can't hit your target! Focus on accuracy and then get the velocity you want. One process you might try, though it takes more resources and time, is to find the velocity you want, then start playing with overall length to tighten the groups. This is usually a "finishing" process, rather than a starting process.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    ...............Personally I would not worry about chronographing every round until you find the most accrurate one. What is the point of knowing the speed of the bullet if it isn't hitting what your aiming at.............
    I have to agree with this. On a long range rifle, accuracy is of utmost importance. Squeezing out an additional 50-100 ft.lbs. of energy won't matter if you miss the shot. And, while I'm an avid reloader, don't discount factory ammunition. I tried literally dozens of loads for my 204 Ruger and could come up with nothing that could beat the accuracy of the Hornady factory ammo. On my varmint AR (DPMS upper - 24" bull barrel) one of the most accurate rounds was the Winchester USA 45 gr. jhp Varmint value pack. While I try to develop the most accurate round possible for a given rifle, I don't get into the neck reaming, flash hole uniforming, etc. that true bench rest shooters do to their ammo.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I have done tons of research for I read and studied a year before ever buying one reloading tool. Sorry I came across as lazy, I was just thinking out load and was wondering how others felt. I do want accuracy first but I also believe we can have both accuracy and velocity if the right components are used. For long range I feel more velocity IF accurate is the way to go due to the trajectory curve.

For instance factory American 8mm mauser loads travel about 2200fps from my dads G24(t) and drop DRASTICALLY from 100 to 300. We loaded him up some around 2700 fps (not even Hornady's listed max charge) and the drop was substantually reduced. The factory load shot bigger groups than this faster one but the speed difference showed how much it can effect the trajectory angle.
    Paul Graham
    Clean-um, Prep-um, Pack-um, Load-um, Bang-um

Links