Slugging my barrel???

Slugging my barrel???

This is a discussion on Slugging my barrel??? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I was reading some stuff on the Lyman web site. Ok i am thinking about getting in to casting. I want to cast 357 mag. ...

Slugging my barrel???

I was reading some stuff on the Lyman web site. Ok i am thinking about getting in to casting. I want to cast 357 mag. but when i was looking at sizer/lube dies for this caliber i need to "slug my barrel" what is this and is it necessary? this is a cut and past from

Welcome to Lyman Products

Pistol 38 S&W, 38 Spl., 357 Mag**, 357 Max.,

Dia 357,358*, 359,360

* * Wide variations in diameter. Suggest you slug barrel
    *Indicates suggested useful diameter, which may vary from gun to gun

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    It is highly recomended to slug a rifle barrel that is intended to shoot lead bullets---less so for a handgun.

If I were you I would just order the mold you want and size the bullet to .358 and forget about it.

"Slugging" a barrel involves driving a SOFT metal "slug" through your barrel and then measuring it to determine the distance between the lands of your barrel so you can get the exact inside diameter of the bore.

IMHO not worth the effort unless you are into long range target shooting with lead bullet rifle loadings.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    It is highly recomended to slug a rifle barrel that is intended to shoot lead bullets---less so for a handgun.

If I were you I would just order the mold you want and size the bullet to .358 and forget about it.

"Slugging" a barrel involves driving a SOFT metal "slug" through your barrel and then measuring it to determine the distance between the lands of your barrel so you can get the exact inside diameter of the bore.

IMHO not worth the effort unless you are into long range target shooting with lead bullet rifle loadings.
    Like he said,as far as measurement if you do it you order or resize .001 over bore diameter
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

cool sounds good!! I looked at my 2 books that i have, and i also looked at the local reloading supply store and they had no clue. Thanks guys!!

Stating the obvious

Use a wooden dowel or a soft brass rod that fit the bore as close as possible.

I use a .457 Dia Speer lead round ball that is used for Black Powder Cap & ball revolvers and a 12 inch brass rod. This size ball can be used on most metalic cartridge handguns and will leave a small circle of lead a round the muzzle that will fall off when the ball is pushed in to the bore.:

I carry the 5/16 inch brass rod in my range box to take care of any squibs ( mine or others) that occur on the shooting range. Yes they do occur, however infrequent.

If you have or plan on getting more handguns of different calibers, purchase a box of the lead balls that are large enough to use on all the possible callibers.

You can use a brass rod that fits the .357 and use it on all of the larger calibers.

If you choose to use a wood dowel be aware that some times they with break while bore sizing. It won't hurt your barrel but it could make your hand unhappy

.38 Special & .357 Cal are supposed to be .357-.358

.44 Cal are supposed to be .429 in diameter
    .45 Cal are supposed to be .452, on some of the older gun bore size maybe .454

if you use a wood dowel, cut it into ~12" sections. Shorter sections have much less tendency to break. Also lead "egg" sinkers also work to slug the barrel. I do suggest you use a lithium type grease on whatever you choose to make your job easier.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Links