3/4 the way there with the CFO, now for the total $$$

This is a discussion on 3/4 the way there with the CFO, now for the total $$$ within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I started working on the wife about reloading a few months back, and after printing out a shopping cart from F&M reloading and "accidentally" left ...

I started working on the wife about reloading a few months back, and after printing out a shopping cart from F&M reloading and "accidentally" left it on the printer. A Lee Loadmaster progressive press, and everything a body needs to do .40 and .44, she told me last night to go ahead and order it.

Problem being is that is just the press, and since I shop around, the cheapest I could find. There is more equipment and supplies to go, ergo more $$$.

Here is what I have so far;
    Lee Load master complete for .40 S&W w/factory crimp, extra turret, Lee 4pc .44 carbide die w/factory crimp, universal decapping die, .44 shell plate, bullet feeder, large pistol primer feeder, Don Dorms shooters program - $350

Frankford Arsenal tumbler, & media separator, FA Micro Reloading Elec. Powder Scale 750 gr capacity. - $115

Powder Valley Zero 180gr FMJ .40 1k- $106

Either Nosler .44 mag 240gr 1k - $156
    - or -
    Rainer LeadSafe .44 mag 24gr FMJ 1k $135 (unsure if usable in Desert Eagle .44mag - gas ports and polygonal barrel.)

Polish media, powder, primers, range brass to be purchased local. Est $150 on the high side.

TOTAL start up for 1k rounds of each - $870 - OUCH!
    Each 1k rounds thereafter -
    .40 = $150
    .44 = $200

My argument -
    1k rounds of .40 reloads (armscor) bought online $250 (when in stock)
    1k rounds of .44 at the cheapest I can find that my DE will eat - $520 + tax

I am going to be hard put to explain that it will be an additional $530 plus shipping to do this. Seasonal layoff coming as well.

Did I miss anything that I should get. Bear in mind I have NOTHING for reloading yet.

Comments & suggestions welcome as well. Once I get everything I will be getting with someone local that reloads for some basic reloading education, then off to a private range to experiment with loads and test fire.

The one oddball question I also have, and maybe it should be a separate thread, how important is the recipes for reloading with mixed manufacture brass, and unlisted bullet (other than starting 10% under max)?

P.S. - If you know of a cheaper place to get any of the above items that I have listed, PLEASE let me know.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Ebay, swap meets, yard sales! Patience= $$$$$$$$$

Lee Load master complete for .40 S&W w/factory crimp,
    This was sold at a local yard sale today for $65.00. It looked new in the box. Sale was advertised in the local paper.

At the same yard sale I picked up 7 Glock 22 magazines, New in package for $7.00each ( retail $29.00) and NIB Rapine bullet mold for $10.00 (retail $96.00)

Also went to the local swap meet . Lots of reloading stuff. Economy is hurting everyone and stuff is being sold.
    Last edited by Beans; November 15th, 2008 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling

digital caliper ~20 at auto store
    loading manuals
    bullet boxes (or ziploc on the cheap)
    Berrys Bullets (same type as Rainer) for 240gr $127 shipped
    BTW if you buy your dies, press and extras at Kempf's I get $288 + ship
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    digital caliper ~20 at auto store
    loading manuals
    bullet boxes (or ziploc on the cheap)
    Berrys Bullets (same type as Rainer) for 240gr $127 shipped
    BTW if you buy your dies, press and extras at Kempf's I get $288 + ship
    Berrys-Bullets do not have the max recommended muzzle velocity that the Raniers do for the .44 mag. In fact Berrys does not advise use in magnums.

I checked out Kempfs, and F&M was cheaper across the board, I don't know where you got your $$ for a loadmaster and everything for 2 calibers. I may take a closer look at their scale though.

Have been keeping an eye on Ebay and Craigslist, but nothing local yet. I need to look at the For Sale or Trade forum here too.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Sticks, where are you doing your shopping?

Also, How much do you shoot a month? Do you really need a progressive or is it just a "I gotta have" thing? If your volume of shooting is under 1K a month, you can work with a single stage or a turret. Lee's Turret Kit is about $90. Add extra plate for $9 plus dies at $25 per caliber

Scale? Get the Frankford Arsenal even though it went up in price to $49.99.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

With many things, I figure that eventually I will be expanding my options at some point and choose to start out on the mid to high side, rather than accumulating or upgrading constantly (lesson learned there).

Currently I can only afford to shoot in the IDPA matches once per month, and then just barely. If I had my way, I would be going shooting at least every other weekend - est 500 rounds per month, and the .44 mag will add up real quick like (another reason to stop smoking).

The reloading press and dies from F&M Reloading Equipment
    Scale, tumbler/media separator from Midway
    Bullets from Powder Valley and Gun Stop Reloading

I have spent many hours shopping around for the lowest price. Did I find the best deals, probably not, but I would be hard put to find cheaper prices.

I am trying to track down an email address for F&M to see if they will cut me a deal or discount for a "Complete" setup - READ one stop shopping for EVERYTHING, less the powder and primers. No point in paying Haz Mat fees if I can buy locally for the same as online.

I did think of getting a basic single stage or smaller progressive press, but like I said, I think that this will be something that I will be upgrading if I do. For a progressive press, the Load Master is relatively inexpensive to add additional calibers as a quick change. I have friends that I shoot with that, like me, are looking for inexpensive practice ammo, so I would probably have a "Group Reloading Day" periodically.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

VIP Member
    I shoot IDPA twice a week myself so your round count is about a tad higher that I shoot (350 to 400).

I have a Lee single stage and I set up my reloading in what I call step batches.
    1) Cleaning: I have 2 tumblers connected to a timer so I loaded them up and run them out on the porch while I am doing other things. I clean as many cases as I can and once the brass is clean, I put it away in a plastic paint container until I am ready for the next step.
    2) Depriming & resizing: When I have a free hour or so, I set up my press for resizing and depriming and start at it till I get tired or bored. Usually I do about 500 before my shoulder starts complaining. I place the brass in a ziploc freezer bag and mark it down as C-R-D (Cleaned, Resized and Deprimed) and put it away. I leave the dies in the press so I might continue later with more CRD if I am up to it.
    3) Priming: If I have a movie or show coming up on TV, I grab a bag of CRD brass, get my priming tool, primers and sit to watch TV while priming. Time flies rather quick and I place the brass back in the bag adding the letter "P" to the label.
    4)Bell: Another free hour or so, I set up my Bell die and just go at it till I am done. Mark the bag with a big "B" and again place it aside.
    5) Powder & Bullet Seating: This are the most serious steps so I make sure I am not tired, I am left alone without ANY distractions. I grab my bag of ready brass, start throwing the powder in the cases which are immediately placed in a reloading tray of 50. I do 3 trays (150), cover them and take a 10 minute break. I return to the press and now is non-top, no screwing around bullet seating till I am done with that batch. If I am up to it, I do another batch of 150 or maybe just a 100 with the same discipline. Then is immediate crimping of all rounds made and this batch is put away.

You can have brass in different steps as it fancies you or go nuts and make a huge batch that is CRDP&B that you just use to make rounds as you need them. Never screw around at the powder & seating stages to avoid Big Bang or Squib mistakes.

If you have to consult and get approval from the wife, just like I had to do maybe a turret press is the way to go. Your goal is to get started ASAP in relaoding and not wait till you can afford a Dillon 578836676 XP Titanium with plasma TV and surround system (Free HBO included). Back when I started, my reloading set up was paid after some 2K rounds and wifey was very very happy, so much so I was allowed to go buy the whole bullet casting set up. I was smart in keeping her abreast of the ammo costs raising like crazy so she knows I ain't creating a pneumatic smoke insertion.

Check and double check Midway for your reloading stuff. They are out of the Lee presses right now, but I have a very tough time finding somebody who beats their prices.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Midsouth Midsouth Shooters Supply, Reloading, Air Guns, Optics, Muzzleloaders & Shooting Supplies

Smart Reloader SR1000
    Case Tumbler 110 Volt
    Only $29.99!

LEE RELOADING PRODUCTS 40 S&W PRO 1000 PRESS Kit

The Progressive 1000 Press is shipped complete with carrier and shellplate, four tube case feeder, pro auto disk powder measure, and a set of Lee carbide dies. Cases using the same shell holder require only a new die set to convert the press.
    Order No: Status: Price:
    006-90682 In Stock
    $154.23

Sorry forgot , bullet feeder, primer feed and shellplate: Total Rounded $350.50 + ship
    Load master w/ 1 die set $220
    Carbide 4 die set $33
    Decapper $9
    Turret $11.50
    Shell plate $20
    Prime $19
    Software $14
    Bullet feed $24

IMO I would go w/ a Lees Classic Cast Turret. Works like a progressive w/o case & bullet feeder and a lot less headache.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Links