Question for those who reload shotshells...

This is a discussion on Question for those who reload shotshells... within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Now that I'm employed, again, and getting bills paid off, I've decided that I would like to get into reloading. When I do, I will ...

Thread: Question for those who reload shotshells...

Now that I'm employed, again, and getting bills paid off, I've decided that I would like to get into reloading. When I do, I will be loading 12ga, .308 for distance shooting, and 357SIG. I won't be doing huge volumes all the time. I don't have a large collection. I have a pistol, a shotgun, and will have a rifle by then.

I would like to create a load that matches the old Federal Classic 2-3/4" #1 Buck load (F127), but I have no idea where to find loading info for that. It used a plastic cup and buffered shot, which is part of why it patterned so well for SD, but I know nothing about how to approximate the original.

My question: do I need a separate setup for loading for the shotgun vs loading for the pistol and rifle? single stage or progressive? When I'm where I can shoot, I go through about 200 rounds of 357 SIG per month in practice. I won't be shooting as much in shotgun and rifle (estimating 40 rounds a month? I don't know yet.).

What do you think?
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Senior Moderator
    A shotgun loader is totally different in design. A rifle or pistol reloader will only work for those, so you would need at least two different setups.

Winchester,Hodgon and Alliant to name a few all put out a small paperback loading manual that is free. It gives shotgun loads and various pistol/rifle loads.

Most of the powder manufactures have data that can be downloaded or reviewed from the Internet so you would have to look those up.

Of course, you would have to follow manufactures directions exactly as using different components could make a huge difference in the safety margin.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    ...Winchester,Hodgon and Alliant to name a few all put out a small paperback loading manual that is free. It gives shotgun loads and various pistol/rifle loads.

Most of the powder manufactures have data that can be downloaded or reviewed from the Internet so you would have to look those up.

Of course, you would have to follow manufactures directions exactly as using different components could make a huge difference in the safety margin.
    I've checked the current hard-copy and web loading data from most of the powder sources, and the discontinued Federal loads aren't mentioned. Most only list 00 and #4 Buck for the Federal loads, which is all Federal seems to offer anymore.... I'm thinking I'll have to find sources of old loading manuals, once I get back home.
    - Tom

Senior Moderator
    Some of those old timey loads that worked well would be a problem trying to find data for them. The problem is that if you did, many of the components that they were assembled with are no longer available.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I sold all my shotshell reloading stuff before moving becuase I just didn't have room to lug all that stuff half way across the country. When I was doind it though, I had a shotshell loading manual but can't remember the publisher for sure, but I think it was Lyman. It listed loads for all combinations of hulls, wads, primers, powder etc.

It was the only book I ever used for relaoding different kinds of shot shells. Of course I mainly loaded AA target loads in 12 & 20 ga. But I loaded a bunch (thousands for tournaments) and they all worked. I also loaded some heavier loads with Winchester high brass hulls, like some game loads with #4 & #5 shot and the book had all the recipies I needed.

Anyway, I'd suggest getting a full manual, it will have a lot of helpful information to get you started and explain the dangers of mixing components. The same components in different hull types can create different pressures, etc. As will a change in primers, or wads used in the same type hulls.

honestly, before I did any of it, I always though metallic reloading would be more difficult or require more expertise, but IMO, metallic loading is less complicated due to the above mentioned variances associate with shotshells. Many hulls are not suggested to be relaoded at all, like the cheap promotional hulls for instance.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    A shotgun loader is totally different in design. A rifle or pistol reloader will only work for those, so you would need at least two different setups.

Sorry Mr. Moderator, that isnt exactly correct. Many years ago Lyman made the dies for using your single stage metallic ammo press to re-load shotgun ammo.

Somewhere in my vast collection of junque(junk) I have a set of those dies in 12ga. They are VERY slow and turn out shells of poor quality,but they do work.

I pity the person that has to separate the sheep from the goats in my junque after I have departed from this world!
    Last edited by Scott; November 23rd, 2008 at 07:52 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357 View Post
    I would like to create a load that matches the old Federal Classic 2-3/4" #1 Buck load (F127)
    The Lee Load-All II (Lee Precision, Inc. Reloading Tools and Equipment: Load All 2) is one of the least-expensive single-stage shotgun reloading presses available. For low-volume, occasional reloading, it's just about perfect, and works far better than many more expensive presses. For buckshot, you most likely wouldn't use the shot chamber that's built-in, rather you'd load the shot by hand for each hull.

Senior Moderator
    Many years ago Lyman made the dies for using your single stage metallic ammo press to re-load shotgun ammo.
    RCBS still makes shotshell reloading dies for the rifle press. I have a green box sitting on my bench right now. Notice that I said shotgun shell reloader being different than a rifle/pistol reloader.

And yes,the dies will work, but they are painfully slow and primitive.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I went with a MEC9000 press for reloading 20 ga AA for the kid when he shot skeet. A very good press, not too hard to learn on, and not terribly pricey. I also use a Lyman's for shotshell reloading data.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

You can get a single stage shotshell reloader for around 100.00 then ya gotta buy wads powder primers and shot,shot has almost doubled in price in the last 10 years as has primers,not sure what your planning on loading #1 buck for but if it's home defense and you don't shoot much of it for practice I would suggest just buying factory and finding a load that patterns well in your gun.As far as reloading pistol a single stage takes longer but a progressive can turn out at least 300 rounds an hour pretty easy.One problem I have been encountering is availability of gun powder and primers,I waited til they were in stock and bought 30,000 primers and 32 pounds of gun powder due to price increase and availability
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I would ask over on the http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/inde...f6f4468ab07918 forum They seem to be very knowledgeable about reloading. For a medium volume metallic press I would get a lee 4 hole turret press or turret press kit.

Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations. I'm thinking about either a Lee or a MEC single-stage, at this point. Before I had to sell my Nova, back when I was very sick, I had chosen the Federal #1 Buck load for home defense because of it's combination of patterning, penetration and the amount of lead it puts on target, and I practiced regularly. After 9 months of recovery from my transplant, I landed a new job that afforded me the opportunity to replace my shotgun, and I did so, last fall, ordering a Benelli Supernova Tactical with ComforTech stock and GRS. A friend gave me a NIB Benelli factory +2 mag ext., so I will have a capacity of 7+1 in 2-3/4 shells. Well, my shotgun finally arrived months after ordering, and #1 buck in 12ga is becoming harder and harder to find. I figured it would be easiest and cheapest to make my own. The way people are hoarding ammo, now, making my own may be the only way to guarantee that I can get what I want, anyway!
    - Tom

Loading buck can be a lot harder then smaller shot. Make sure your press can do it and look at the process carefully. Many recipes require buffer and loading pellets one at a time in particular patterns. Volumetric shot bars don't load large buck shot effectively so even in the "easy" recipes you might have to weigh each load and manually drop it. Not to dissuade you from loading shot shells but time and complexity should also factor with economy.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

You may want to check on reloading 357sig. I concidered do it a few years back. The people at the local loading supply said that it was a real pain because of the sholder and case stretching and advised going to a straight case to reload. I bought a 40sw barrel and load for it and buy factory for 357sig.
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member
    CHL Instructor
    TXCHIA Member
    BPOE Member

Links