9mm handloads and Glocks

This is a discussion on 9mm handloads and Glocks within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I was thinking of trading my Glock 26 in on a Ruger SP101 because I cant afford 9mm ammo to practice with anymore and I ...

Thread: 9mm handloads and Glocks

9mm handloads and Glocks

I was thinking of trading my Glock 26 in on a Ruger SP101 because I cant afford 9mm ammo to practice with anymore and I have a mountain of .357 components and lots of lead. I have been reloading for years-mostly .357 and centerfire rifle.

Well, I found a big bag(about 1000-1500 rds!) of once fired 9mm brass in my closet.
    Now I am thinking about getting an after market barrel so that I can shoot handloads and lead bullets for practice from my Glock, and then switch back to the factory barrel for CCW. Only problem is that all of the info I have been reading says that handloads are not safe for use in Glocks under any circumstances.

Now I am afraid and am thinking about that revolver again!

Anyone have experience handloading for 9mm Glocks?

2. Remove Ads

I sure have, don't use non-plated bullets and you can load them as hot as you want them to :)
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

I have handloaded and fired thousands of rounds through my Glocks, with factory barrels, both 9mm and 45 acp. I have used both jacketed and plated bullets with no problems. I did get a conventionally rifled barrel for my G30 for shooting lead bullets though. If you look in the owners manual for any new gun, from any company, you will find a disclaimer saying that using reloads will void your warrantee. It's a standard CYA from the company lawyers.

Carefuly assembled and inspected reloads, following the receipes in modern reloading books, are perfectly safe in Glocks. Improper or carelessly done reloads may not be.

That's why I will only shoot my own reloads, and not anybody else's, even "factory" reloads. I know I am careful and methodical when I reload, and I inspect my reloads several times throughout the process. I don't push the limits on my reloads either, and usually load closer to the low end of the range than the top. Accuracy is generally better that way anyway.

Just my opinion though, as I am not a lawyer nor did I sleep in a holiday in last night.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

reloading 9mm for Glock is not any more difficult then reloading .357 for the ruger.
    Stick with the basics and If you are going to use lead bullets get an after market barrel. Normally $100 or less for a drop in barrel.

GlockWorld - Glock Barrels - Storm Lake, EFK, Advantage Arms, KKM

Why would hand loads not be safe for a Glock? If your using a good load manual and sticking to what is recommended they should be fine.

I would avoid using lead bullets, and go with a plated or jacketed bullet. I prefer Rainer plated bullets. You can get 1000 of them for 75 bucks in either 115 or 124 gr. Rainier Bullets at MidwayUSA

If you have the brass it should only cost about 10 or 11 cents each to reload the 9mm. Should save you about 8 or 9 bucks per hundred. Not bad if you have an hour or so to kill to make the rounds.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Though I'm not a Glock guy, I'll try and address your concerns.

1st, you probably don't want to shoot lead in a factory Glock barrel. They have hexagonal rifling which is usually a no-no with lead bullets.

2nd, I think most of the reloading concerns for a Glock center around it not having a fully supported chamber and that subsequent firings of brass may create weak spots in the brass and lead to a ka-boom. This is mostly centered around the Glocks in 40 S&W and since I'm not a Glock guy, I don't know if this concern translates to other calibers as well.

3rd, I believe that most aftermarket barrels for Glocks with cut rifling also have fully supported chambers. This would be a question to ask when purchasing a barrel and if they do, this would negate both of the previous concerns.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Re-reading some of the pages regarding handloads turning Glocks into grenades-the info now seems like Glock bashing.

I have full confidence in my hand loading ability. I am going to get a barrel with cut rifling and shoot the snot out of my G26.

I am also gonna get a big tarp to stand on so I dont have to chase brass all over the country side!

You are good to go. I have about 10,000 rounds of handloaded .45 through my G21 and about 5,000 rounds of 9mm though my G17 just this year alone. If you are shooting lead just make sure to use and aftermarket barrel. If not rock out with what you have. This is no more dangerous than with any other handgun.

Yep, the tarp makes it much easier than crawling on your hands and knees to pick up the brass. If someone is there shooting with you, just pick up the ends, fold it in a V shape and have one side lowered into the catch container. You can sort and pick the trash out at the house.

Good luck.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links