School me Please

School me Please

This is a discussion on School me Please within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Why can't a 380 be loaded with 9MM dies? I'm new to reloading but outside appearances seem to indicate that a 380 is only a ...

Thread: School me Please

School me Please

Why can't a 380 be loaded with 9MM dies? I'm new to reloading but outside appearances seem to indicate that a 380 is only a millimeter shorter than a 9MM. Seems like there must be some differences other than length that I'm not aware of.

Lead Moderator
    Without having the 2 casings to compare, the case dimensions and mouth probably differs some. Also the interior of the case gets resized with reloading as well. With the length difference , the crimp probably would not work correctly on the shorter case.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

According to the WikiPedia entries for .380ACP and 9mm Luger, there are some differences in sizing beyond mere case length.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Do you have a good reloading manual? That manual will have all the case dimension for the two rounds.

The .380 is a 9x17 case the 9 mm Luger is a 9x19 case length, so it is actually 2mm shorter.

The outside dimensions of the case on the 9mm Luger are also larger than the .380. If you happen to shoot both of them and pick up the brass together then go home and sort it, it becomes apparent quickly that they are very different casings. You can quick learn to distinquish between the two other than just the length.

Spend the money, buy the extra set of dies, then you don't have to jack with them when you change calibers. You can set up each set of dies and save yourself lots of time in the long run.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Good question. I just sold 700 rounds of once fired 9mm brass to a fellow in Kentucky. He plans on making 9x18 out of it. I think that's still a bit different than the .380 auto case though.

"Do you have a good reloading manual? That manual will have all the case dimension for the two rounds"

Farronwolf. I don't have the manual (nor press) at the moment. I am attaining supplies while I'm waiting on the press. I had heard the cases were just different in length only. Outward appearances looked pretty close. I did not measure them before I posted. My mistake!

Sponsored Links