Experiment at the range? Opinions wanted.

This is a discussion on Experiment at the range? Opinions wanted. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Good plan or bad plan? Once all my reloading stuff arrives, I was pondering making a mount for my truck receiver hitch for the press, ...

Thread: Experiment at the range? Opinions wanted.

Question Experiment at the range? Opinions wanted.

Good plan or bad plan?

Once all my reloading stuff arrives, I was pondering making a mount for my truck receiver hitch for the press, heading out to my buddies property (weather permitting) and start testing loads. 1/2" plate, 2" OD box x 1/4.

I am thinking of making 5 at X gr., then shooting those then another 5 of Factory to compare accuracy and felt recoil to try to match the factory.

Once I get to where I think all is good, head home and start pumping them out.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Good plan. Add a chrono to the mix and you won't need to guess at a comparison to factory.

I will load a few and chrono in the driveway. If the chrono numbers seem right, I head to the pasture to shoot a few off the bench.

I made the mistake, once, of running through the process and shot the steel plate in the pasture instead of shooting paper. When my wife shot that ammo in a USPSA match, we found it keyholed badly. A minor tweek of the load fixed it. Unfortunately, I had loaded several hundred of the keyholing load. It was relegated to steel matches until we ran through it.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
    ...we found it keyholed badly. A minor tweek of the load fixed it. Unfortunately, I had loaded several hundred of the keyholing load. It was relegated to steel matches until we ran through it.

Dave
    Dave,

Whoa...that is a new term for me.

Definiton of "Keyholing" and what causes it?
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Keyholing is when a bullet hits the target sideways leaving an elongated hole instead of a round hole,kinda like an old key hole in a door
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Hitting a target sideways implies that it - the bullet - is in a tumble. What causes the tumble?

Bad seating, low charge, crimp...
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Range Loading

Oh man, opinion's wanted!
    Personally, I would carefully load 15-20 rounds of each type.

Then using a chrono, I would shoot 5 round groups and record the data.

I would then compare the data and select the best recipe for what I was trying to achieve!

I think spending $$$ on a chrono, would be better spent, then reload en-mass at the bench!

Just my 0.03
    ~~RLTW~~
    Life Member NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Hitting a target sideways implies that it - the bullet - is in a tumble. What causes the tumble?

Bad seating, low charge, crimp...
    I believe that bullets tumble because of not being correctly stabilized.
    Could be from any combination of velocity, bullet length or barrel twist rate. I'm not including defective bullets.

Michael

Hmm...

I've always reloaded like a scientist: loading up 20 rounds of 10 different variables and taking tedious notes
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Reloading outdoors is not a good idea IMHO, because the slightest breeze will affect your scales.

I had a Savage .223 that keyholed very bad, even at 50 yards. Looked at the end of the barrel and the rifiling had a bad "end" on it at the muzzle. Took it to a gun smith friend of mine North of Crawford, NE and he cut about 3/4" of the end and put a target crown on it. testing my load again, using Hornady bullets, not boatail, it hit 3 shots in the same hole and it was not keyholing. Was then the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. Before you would see the imprint of the bullet as it his sideways sometimes on the paper. What caused it to "tumble" and hit sideways IE Keyhole, was that when the bullet just exited the muzzle, the side with the bad rifiling would push out faster gas and start the round to tumbling. Imagine a barrel leaking out hot gasses evenly. That is the way it became after the trim job. Before it was like a high pressure gas leak just on the one side as the bullet exited the barrel.
    Vern
    http://Taurus45ACP.com
    My wesbsite with many pro-gun links.
    Carry Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
    Good plan. Add a chrono to the mix and you won't need to guess at a comparison to factory.

I will load a few and chrono in the driveway. If the chrono numbers seem right, I head to the pasture to shoot a few off the bench.

I made the mistake, once, of running through the process and shot the steel plate in the pasture instead of shooting paper. When my wife shot that ammo in a USPSA match, we found it keyholed badly. A minor tweek of the load fixed it. Unfortunately, I had loaded several hundred of the keyholing load. It was relegated to steel matches until we ran through it.

Dave
    Barrel and bullet defects aside, I am trying to understand how it could be caused during the loading process, where a minor adjustment corrects the problem.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Links