Loading Bench - Page 2

Loading Bench

This is a discussion on Loading Bench within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; And here we go. I have a three-story townhouse, no basement, so space was limited. The only place to put a bench is in the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loading Bench

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    And here we go. I have a three-story townhouse, no basement, so space was limited. The only place to put a bench is in the spare bedroom I use as an office, so it needed to squeeze between the computers and the bookcases. That left me with a workable size of 4' wide and 30" deep.

I used 4x4s as the corner posts, 2x4s as the bracing, and 1/2" MDF for the shelf and top (double layer on top). The short 2x4s on the side are inset into the 4x4s, glued and screwed. The long 2x4s front and back are held to the posts and the top with carriage bolts, so the whole thing comes apart by removing a dozen bolts.

Note the shiny new Dillon RL-550B with a boatload of accessories. I am hoping to get my first batch of ammo done before the weekend. (I already blew out my first piece of .45 brass while trying to set the powder die... )

By the way, I designed it with Google SketchUp, which is a handy little 3D modeling tool...
    Attached Images
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Small, but effective.

I built this bench, when I was in college, living in an apartment. The only power tool I had was a drill. I needed something small, yet sturdy and portable.

I used 4x4's for the corners, 2x4's for the side braces and top. I left a brace off the front, for easy access to the shelf. The shelf is 3/4" inch particle board. I glued a bunch of short 2x4's together for the top, then hand planed them to get a nice flat, smooth surface.

It is small, but weighs a ton and I can sit on my couch and reload, or move it into the garage. I know it is diminutive and harder to keep organized (I have a big plastic bin that I keep on the shelf, full of powders, primers, tools etc..), but it works well for the volume of reloading I do.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    My current reloading bench is a steel fire door I got from work that weighs about 200# or so. Added four iron pipe legs, and also screwed it to the studs in the basement. Added a shop light and a couple of outlets and am good to go.

I do need to add some peg board and shelves above would be a good idea.

I liked the steel door as I figured spilled powder can't get worked into the surface over time and become a fire hazard. Seems to me this would be an issue with wood.

Currently it only has a MEC 9000 in 20 ga, but it will be getting a 550b next week.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

its better to make your own so you have proper space and strength
    I am remingtondude58 on Michigan gun owners as well

I think you are better off building your own, it will be studier and made your way. That price didn't even include the lumber, I can do better myself with a better job and cheaper. Mine is 3' By 7' with shelves and I have to add on but I can easily because I designed it with that intent.
    Good luck
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Portable B&D Workmate Reloading Bench AccurateShooter.com Bulletin

I built one of these and they work for what I need

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Here is a photo of my bench:

As I stated earlier, it is a steel fire door that I added legs to, very sturdy, very solid surface that won't absorb spilled powder.

Just received the Dillon today so I am still in the process of setting that up.

Mike
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links