Loading Bench

This is a discussion on Loading Bench within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Well, I drew up my own design and bought the lumber Saturday. Started working it into shape yesterday and it is slower going than I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading Bench

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Loading Bench

Well, I drew up my own design and bought the lumber Saturday. Started working it into shape yesterday and it is slower going than I thought, and now I feel like an idiot because I just saw this on Cabela's:

* Cabela's -- 2x4 Basics® Bench Kit

Just thought I would share this in case anybody else is looking for a starter bench...

Time to go home and start screwing 2x4s together!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    Hey, at least you can have it your way, and it will not have "Made in China" on it !!!
    Not to mention a lifetime warranty
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Any pics of your new "creation" ?? I'm in the process of building mine now.
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

Don't feel bad at all - "Lumber not included." Cabela's is charging $85 for the legs and the top and bottom upper shelf brackets. Not worth it IMO. If it isn't too late, do a search for reloading bench plans for some ideas.

Bah, your 2X4 and Thompson Strong Tie creation will be MUCH better than that one. You made it and not some 8 year old in another country, you can change it when you want and are not tied to the original design.

Please post pics, I am thinking about starting a reloading hobby and will need a bench.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

WAY too small!!!! Mine is about 20 feet in length and 2 stories high. Aside from some of my reloading stuff it also serves as a "catchall" for stray tools and used parts from my boat,truck,and the auto driven by the "war dept" (wife). It is still too small to store even a fraction of the reloading stuff I've collected over the years. There are 2 sheds out back and a basement at my sons home that hold the "overflow".

When I "croak" you guys better rush on over to the yard sale.

my is 8 feet by 3 feet that is to small.

Now that I've got that off my chest, I have a buddy that is ga-ga over that Cabela's bench. I can't see paying $85 for a couple of pieces of plastic. As always, YMMV. Of course, the aforementioned friend was cleaning out his house and gave me a 20 year old book with plans for my own bench in it. I think I'm going to do a cross between that one and the one with the plans that come from the National Reloading organization (name escapes me).
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Senior Moderator
    My bench is 18 feet long and I still dont have enough space.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I built mine with a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood and legs made from 2 inch pipe. I welded a flat plate on top of the pipe, with holes spaced so I could bolt the plywood and my press directly on top of one leg. The other front leg has a vise bolted on top, which is used for holding my powder measure and other things not related to reloading. Total cost was about $25, about 25 years ago.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

My bench Is 8 feet long and isn't big enough,I built it out of 2x4 and 3/4"hardboard
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My bench Is 8 feet long and isn't big enough,I built it out of 2x4 and 3/4"hardboard
    I agree! I just finished a reloading bench-- 24 Ft long, 2 ft wide and *2 inches thick. supported by 1 1/2 inch black iron pipe legs. coated with 5 layers/coats of Poly

The back of the bench is fastened to a 2X8 ledger board lag bolted into the garage studs.

* 3 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood, joints overlapped. glued and screwed together.

In the previous 35 years of reloading I have used everything from a small table top to a 2'x 8' table made form a single sheet of plywood.

It took me awhile to finally get what I wanted, when we moved I found a place with a 30' X 36' garage

It doesn't look like much, but for the limited amount of space I have it does the job. It's a heavy duty wood table from a local good will store. I've put a power strip on the right side and will put up a peg board back, with shelves, during Christmas vacation...when Santa brings me a new Lee 4 hole turret press ...total cost for the bench is $12.00.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

VIP Member
    Here is a link to the plans from the NMRA. Plans include a bill of materials and cutting diagram to get the most from materials.
    Reloading Bench Plans

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Well, I got sidetracked for a bit, but I finally finished assembling mine this weekend. One of my goals was to make sure I could easily disassemble my creation, too, so I am not too upset about missing out on the prefab. Carriage bolts are my friend!

I am hoping to get the press set up tonight, and I can post some pictures soon.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links