Which primers do you use?

This is a discussion on Which primers do you use? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I was just wondering, with all the new companies manufacturing primers. Which ones you all use? I usually use Winchester primers, but, am now in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was just wondering, with all the new companies manufacturing primers. Which ones you all use? I usually use Winchester primers, but, am now in the process of buying more. I noticed there are several to choose from. What has been your experience with the WOLF brand and MagTech? They seem to be the least expensive. Do they all work the same? Is one a little better than the other? Also, noticed some makers are making ammo specific....ie. 5.56mm only primers......what do you guys think?
    Stargzer
    MSgt, Ret. USAF
    NRA Life Member

I use what I have. When they are used up, I will buy some more. Depending on what brand is in stock or whatever. Usually this consists of Federal or Remmington.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I use what I have. When they are used up, I will buy some more. Depending on what brand is in stock or whatever. Usually this consists of Federal or Remmington.
    Have you had a chance to use the Wolf or MagTech brand?
    Stargzer
    MSgt, Ret. USAF
    NRA Life Member

No, neither of them.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by stargzer View Post
    Have you had a chance to use the Wolf or MagTech brand?
    Is that the "Wolf" that sells the ammunition "Made in Russia" ?
    And who have a less than stellar reputation ?
    I try hard to buy american.

I had an opportunity to buy 5000 assorted size CCI primers some years ago; I am still happy with those.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

VIP Member
    I use Federal exclusively for all my pistol and rifle reloading. Just habit. That's what I started with and I've stuck with them.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I have been wanting to get set up to reload .223 went to look for primers last night guess what everyone around is sold out right now. Hmmmm, i sure didnt plan ahead very well.

VIP Member
    I use a mix of CCI and Federal.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Lead Moderator
    I use CCI or Win.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by chiefmanywrenches View Post
    I have been wanting to get set up to reload .223 went to look for primers last night guess what everyone around is sold out right now. Hmmmm, i sure didnt plan ahead very well.
    I think a lot of us were hit with this surprise seems many of the components for reloading ...... the more popular calibers and bullet wts. and primers are out of stock. Wished I'd got them months ago.
    Stargzer
    MSgt, Ret. USAF
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    Is that the "Wolf" that sells the ammunition "Made in Russia" ?
    And who have a less than stellar reputation ?
    I try hard to buy american.

I had an opportunity to buy 5000 assorted size CCI primers some years ago; I am still happy with those.
    I think this is the same company, but, I am not sure....I didn't know they were "made in Russia".
    Stargzer
    MSgt, Ret. USAF
    NRA Life Member

I use CCI or Winchester mostly. I did buy a case of Wolf large pistol primers at a time when that was all I could find. I have not used any of them yet, but all the reports I have read from people who do use them say they work just fine.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

Quote Originally Posted by deadhawg View Post
    I use CCI or Winchester mostly. I did buy a case of Wolf large pistol primers at a time when that was all I could find. I have not used any of them yet, but all the reports I have read from people who do use them say they work just fine.
    Let us know how they are when you use them, as I am thinking about getting some of those Wolf brand primers. They are at least a more affordable option.
    Stargzer
    MSgt, Ret. USAF
    NRA Life Member

I've always used CCI, but last time I went to buy they were out so I restocked with Winchester. I know this sounds odd since I'm of the opinion that a primer is a primer, but this is what I experienced.

I use a Lee hand primer tool since I still use an old single station RCBS Rockchucker press and found it's easier than using the press seater IMO since I like to clean out the primer pocket prior to reprimming. Last week I was finishing up on primming some 38's and finished up my last box of CCI's. Everything primmed fine as usual on the CCI's. Switched to the Winchesters and started experiencing a lot of trouble with the primers not wanting to feed into seating area. Had to really "rotate and move" the tool around to get them to feed. I haven't investigated yet but I'm thinking the "height" may be just a little taller for this to happen. They didn't seem to seat in the brass any higher so I think the difference is very very small. I guess I'll deal with the feeding problem until I need more and then go back to the CCI's.

David

Quote Originally Posted by chiefmanywrenches View Post
    WOW!!! I looked at Powder Valley's web site and the ONLY small rifle primers they have in stock are the CCI Military Grade.

To the OP -- I've used CCI for 99.9% of my reloading and, other than one rifle with a bad firing pin, have never had a failure. I have had some failures with Winchester large pistol primers. I've used a few Remington bench rest primers with no problem but didn't see enough performance increase to justify the cost.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links