Lead Bullets

This is a discussion on Lead Bullets within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Our indoor range requires lead bullets. I have been reloading 144gr .38 hollow base wadcutters. These have come lubed, and I have seated them almost ...

Thread: Lead Bullets

Lead Bullets

Our indoor range requires lead bullets. I have been reloading 144gr .38 hollow base wadcutters. These have come lubed, and I have seated them almost completely flush.

Now I'm ready to buy .380 lead bullets so I can practice at our indoor range. The bullets have an option to be lubed or not. Are .380 bullets required to be lubed before they're seated, or does the lube help prevent lead fouling of the barrel?
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    Lube helps with barrel fouling; you'll still get some, but much less.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

You shoot lead bullets without lube and your rifled barrel will become a smoothbore pretty quick
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Just load them a little lighter or change powders and load a little slower.

Either way, lubed or not, as long as you are not loading them hot, you will be fine. If the load is too fast, it will try and push the bullet past the rifling instead of letting the rifling do its job. A nice slow lead bullet will be more accurate and you will not see much leading at all. After you are done, a couple FMJs will clean it out nicely. Also, get your cast bullets .001 larger. It makes the lube process more effective and promotes "driving" instead of "sliding" bullets.

The lube will definitely help though.

Senior Moderator
    The lube grooves are there for a reason. Lubing lead bullets IS a neccesary step.

Trying to shortcut it will make for a difficult time when you clean the barrel.

Trust me...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

IIRC It's been suggested to never shoot a jacketed bullet after lead bullets,I have read that it can create higher pressures due to leading in barrel causing more resistance.I use to think that shooting jacketed after lead would clean the barrel until I read that.Somebody that knows the whole story please jump in.I would hate to see somebody get a kaboom from something like this
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    IIRC It's been suggested to never shoot a jacketed bullet after lead bullets,I have read that it can create higher pressures due to leading in barrel causing more resistance.I use to think that shooting jacketed after lead would clean the barrel until I read that.Somebody that knows the whole story please jump in.I would hate to see somebody get a kaboom from something like this
    That would be true if the barrel were so leaded up that you couldnt see the rifling.
    Most people that I know that use lead will shoot some jacketed bullets to scrape the lead out. It works. Could it be a hazard? Sure it could if you are dumb enough to not use common sense.

I've been casting bullets and using them for 30 years.I have'nt had a problem yet, but you have to realize that the manufacturers have to publish to the lowest common denominator, thus the warnings, because there are people out there that almost too stupid to know to breath.Fortunatley, most of them dont reload.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That would be true if the barrel were so leaded up that you couldnt see the rifling.
    Most people that I know that use lead will shoot some jacketed bullets to scrape the lead out. It works. Could it be a hazard? Sure it could if you are dumb enough to not use common sense.

I've been casting bullets and using them for 30 years.I have'nt had a problem yet, but you have to realize that the manufacturers have to publish to the lowest common denominator, thus the warnings, because there are people out there that almost too stupid to know to breath.Fortunatley, most of them dont reload.
    Yeah what he said.

Probably not too many guys have leaded up more barrels than I have.

A few jacketed bullets down range after a bunch of lead ones has surely saved me a BUNCH of time with a bore brush.

Links