Stupid question about case tumbling

This is a discussion on Stupid question about case tumbling within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; For used brass, do I tumble with the old primers still in? The fact that the Dillon deprimes and primes in one station leads me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question about case tumbling

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Stupid question about case tumbling

For used brass, do I tumble with the old primers still in? The fact that the Dillon deprimes and primes in one station leads me to believe I should have clean brass with a spent primer in it, but then I think that would leave a dirty primer pocket...

Clues welcome.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I'd deprime them first.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Senior Moderator
    I dont.
    I just tumble them.
    If you are worried about it, deprime them first.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

For reloading on a progressive, tumble them with the old primer still in the pocket. Frankly, the small amount of residue in a primer pocket would only be worth considering when loading for bench rest rifle accuracy and that's going to be done (by most of us) on a single stage press anyway. I have some 45 Colt cases that have been loaded 20 times and never had the primer pockets cleaned. They still go bang every time.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

It's probably not necessary, but I tumble first, then deprime and size, then tumble again briefly before priming and loading. Overkill no doubt, but I'm never in a hurry to reload, since I keep enough loaded ammo on hand for several range trips.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

I deprime mine first. Only issue one might have when using crushed walnut hulls is sometimes a piece will get lodged in the flash hole. I inspect all carefully, and I use a straightened paper clip to push them out.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Thanks, gents. I will tumble without depriming. I may give the finished ammo a brief tumble if it is not sufficiently shiny.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Clean first, then deprime. It's easy on your sizer, no dirt and the sizer well last longer.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I use walnut media and add a capful of Nu-Finish auto polish(not the wax). Tumble and then deprime and you will not have a problem with tiny pieces of media stuck in the flash hole. I am a little more than anal about stuff like this.

Couldn't you eliminate the worry about the walnut or other media plugging the flash hole by running through the deprimer again?

If you were to deprime then tumble, and you are using a progressive, you just run them though all the stations again.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Clean first, then deprime. It's easy on your sizer, no dirt and the sizer well last longer.
    +1... If you want to make 'em look pretty for whatever reason, go ahead an tumble again after priming but it is wholly unnecessary. You want clean reliable reloads not exhibition ones.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

i tumble first with most of what i reload. but with some rifle cals i tumble after i deprime. that way it gets the case lube off.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Couldn't you eliminate the worry about the walnut or other media plugging the flash hole by running through the deprimer again?

If you were to deprime then tumble, and you are using a progressive, you just run them though all the stations again.
    Sure you could. And you could also wax your car before washing it, then have to wax it again, but why go to all that trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Thanks, gents. I will tumble without depriming. I may give the finished ammo a brief tumble if it is not sufficiently shiny.
    By finished ammo do you mean a ready to fire cartridge? I've read you NEVER tumble live ammo because it breaks down the powder into smaller particles and that may cause a servere increase in your pressures. It makes a lot of sense to me. Clean em up first!

Quote Originally Posted by showmebob View Post
    By finished ammo do you mean a ready to fire cartridge? I've read you NEVER tumble live ammo because it breaks down the powder into smaller particles and that may cause a servere increase in your pressures. It makes a lot of sense to me. Clean em up first!
    I can understand not tumbling finished ammo because it will wear the bullet, and may change the OAL, but break up the powder causing pressure change...

I would need to see documented info on that one. What do you think happens to our carry rounds and spares we keep on our person? That box of ammo riding in the trunk for hundred of miles?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links