My super duty reloading bench - Pic heavy

This is a discussion on My super duty reloading bench - Pic heavy within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Here is my Lee LoadMaster press and the removable/portable bench mount I made for it. The base is 1/2" plate, and the support is 2" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My super duty reloading bench - Pic heavy

My super duty reloading bench - Pic heavy

Here is my Lee LoadMaster press and the removable/portable bench mount I made for it.

The base is 1/2" plate, and the support is 2" box tube. I have a bracket that I can put in my trucks receiver hitch so I can do test loads in the field.

On the brackets are set screws/bolts so I can adjust the height or distance from the bench.

You have to lean into it really hard to get any movement out of it.

This last photo shows I can still have full access to my bench. The bracket will also hold my drill press, and other bench mounted tools as needed.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Who welded the bracket, Stevey Wonder?

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Looks good. Good idea to make it portable as well.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Hey, it looks like better welding than I can accomplish.

Pretty nifty rig.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Way better than anything I could have done. Looks like a VERY STURDY set up to me. Nice job and great idea. Hope you like it!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

I can weld but I am far from a welder. How many rounds does it take to recoupe the cost of the reloader using 9mm brass?

Great looking job, I dont think it is walking off. How many round do you reload a year.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Nice! That ought to be good for .001 to .002 less COL variation.

VIP Member
    Who welded the bracket, Stevey Wonder? Too Funny.

It's better than what I got.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Ouch, that's harsh.

I did. With a stick welder outside in the 20* temps.

The welds look like arse because I have not chipped away the slag/flux yet, or prepped it for painting.

Here's a closeup of one of the seams sans flux.

It's not perfect, it's not terrible, and it will not break either. I am not a welder or fabricator by trade. I am a diesel mechanic asked to perform miracles in the field with a cutting torch, grinder, 10y/o stick welder, and any scrap steel I can find to keep the heavy equipment running.

On Edit - If I had been able to build this at the shop with the MIG welder, then the welds would have been near as perfect as can be. Stick welding is an art, and I am not an artist. At least everything is square.

I did not take your shot personally, but that was still harsh.

alfak - not sure what you mean. Was that another shot?

Rigeline - Thank you. I an mew to reloading (hence the other newbie question threads in this sub-sub forum) I have only done 400 rounds now, having primer issues and still dialing in my .44 mag.

HitchKing - Recouping the cost on 9mm will take a while but it will pay for itself. You are the factor on the components. If you can shoot cast lead, it will be pretty quick. I have to shoot TMJ of FMJ in both my .40 and .44, so bullets are $100 per 1k (TMJ), $25 for powder $28 for primers, and keep your brass or buy the 3k I am sitting on for $50, and not going to use...ever.

allenruger, bmcgilvray, & Gunnutty - Thanks. My man cave is really cramped, so I need to make use of any possibilities to keep things movable.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

[QUOTE=Sticks;951907]Ouch, that's harsh. I did. With a stick welder outside in the 20* temps. It's not perfect, it's not terrible, and it will not break either. I am not a welder or fabricator by trade. I am a diesel mechanic asked to perform miracles in the field with a cutting torch, grinder, 10y/o stick welder, and any scrap steel I can find to keep the heavy equipment running.

J/K I know the feeling to well to put a miracle out of your hat. As the name says. I install trailer hitches and it is easy when you have the right hitch for the right vehicle. PITA, when the customer has to get going as you have to make a hitch fit.

Nice idea using the 2 x 2 steel to fit into the trailer hitch. I would have drilled and tapped the steel instead of welding the nuts to them. But that me. Good job all around

[QUOTE=HITCH KING;951914]
    Quote Originally Posted by sticks View Post
    Nice idea using the 2 x 2 steel to fit into the trailer hitch. I would have drilled and tapped the steel instead of welding the nuts to them. But that me. Good job all around
    I did. The nuts are to make sure that I don't strip them out. I have a tendency to over do the torque occasionally. My elbow was calibrated at 22ft lbs, but now that I work on heavy equipment instead of pickups and medium duty equipment, all my low end torque calibrations are waaaay off. My shoulder still pops at 145ft lbs and my lower back is pretty consistent at 260.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

I know nothing about reloading and have never had a desire to try...but what you have is IMPRESSIVE to say the least.

Are you one of the 'suppliers' for the soldiers in Iraq?

Quite a nice looking setup.

What's the approximate cost of an initial setup to do .45 and 9mm?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    alfak - not sure what you mean. Was that another shot?
    Not at all. It's been my experience that the more solid the mount the less things flex, the more accurate your rounds will turn out.

I have mine mounted to a wood bench, which flexes a little, when you crank on the handle. This makes things like your seating depth vary a couple of thousandths, sometimes.

Neat set up for removing when in the way to use the bench for other things!
    Here is my set up; I use a Lee 1000 progressive. I mount it to a very sturdy bench top with bolts & wingnuts which lets me change between the two presses I have set up for 9mm & .45acp (or .38 spl & .44spl for SASS) You'll notice in the one photo the nifty primer 'drain' to get the trapped primers from inside the base of the Lee press to tumble down the tube into a can for collection & disposal. I didn't have a better place to go so it is built into a corner of my garage. Seeing as how my son got married and moved out I am now in his old bedroom.
    Same set up, but I don't have new pictures.
    Sorry for the hijack, thought I would 'show you mine'.
    Attached Images
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links