Small Pistol Primers - Standard or Magnum?

This is a discussion on Small Pistol Primers - Standard or Magnum? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I've been using Winchester's small pistol primers for standard loads No. WSP. I sent my son to the reloading store for 9mm, 40cal bullets and ...

Thread: Small Pistol Primers - Standard or Magnum?

Small Pistol Primers - Standard or Magnum?

I've been using Winchester's small pistol primers for standard loads No. WSP. I sent my son to the reloading store for 9mm, 40cal bullets and more primers today. He got home with the 9mm bullets and the Winchester small pistol for magnum pistol loads No. WSPM.

Being fairly new to reloading, I'm confused about the "magnum load" small pistol primers.

Is it OK to use the small pistol magnum primers for 124gr 9mm and 160gr 40cal?

I'm not building hot loads, just standard practice loads.

I don't know if I should be hacked off at the counter man or happy that I got some primers.

BTW, the trip to the reloading store was 143 miles one way.
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    No magnum. primers should be used unless the load data calls for mag primers.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Whew, I only thought I was in the boonies if primers are that far away from you!

If you're truly not flirting with maximum charge weights of powders then the small pistol magnum primers won't hurt a thing.

Senior Moderator
    A magnum primer has a hotter burn rate to ignite a more than usual volume of powder.

You can use the magnum primer as long as you load down. Meaning that you dont want to use the maximum load because it will be too hot, and will put you over the edge of being safe.

If you arent sure where to start, or how much to load, then dont do it. Its better to be safe than sorry.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I did the exact same thing, only it was my bad. Difference being is the place I got them is only 10 miles.

I had been trying to get some powder and primers for some time (I did get some but the age and quality is in question) and I was stoked that I finally got some, and the last of what they had.

Kicker being is the guy at the counter when I called to see if they had any standard primers said no, and when asked if they would be on the next shipment "I wouldn't bet a nickle on it". So I too am sitting on 1k Winchester small magnum primers, and Accurate #5 as my powder (they were out of #2).

Not trying to hijack this thread...
    From the Accurate Website
    No.5 - 180gr. Rainer FP, Min gr.6.2, FPS 852 - Max gr. 6.9, FPS 969, Pressure 33,200
    These I have my powder set right now at 6.2 with the crappy Remington primers mentioned another thread.

Would I be reasonably safe using the Magnum primers with the same min gr. weight? Weapon is a Baby Eagle 4.72" barrel, Accurate data is based on a 4" barre and CCI primersl.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

If the Mag primers were all I had I would back off the powder charge by about 10% and load a couple of rounds---fire them and check for overpressure.

I have a shooting buddy that regularly loads mag primers in .45acp ammo at full charges--no problems-- and he claims +P velocities.

I dont do it, nor am I recomending that you do either, but he has done it for years.

OK, what are the signs of "over pressure" that I should be looking for other than the once assembled gun is now in several pieces, some missing, and I can only count to 8 1/2 now.

Ditto with "head space".
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Look for a flattened primer, i.e. no gap around the primer pocket, caused by it slamming into the breech face too hard. Also, look for bulging around the base of the case. If something is wrong, you'll be able to spot it easily.

i started reloading in 1970 and have used both in the same pistols reload. this summer i was reloading some 40 cal with the standard primer. ran out and i used magnum primers to finish out. did not drop the charge. took them to the range and ran them arcoss the chronograph and found that the magnum primers did not show much more that the standard primer. now this was a mid level load for the 40 cal. so if you are not loading to the max you should not have any problems.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

For me that is refreshing to hear that some has experience with the same primer, caliber and load that I will be using.

The only other variation that I can think of would be the type of powder in the charge. I noticed that Hodgden Universal is a flake powder, and Accurate #5 is a small ball or granule powder (the powder I prefer to use because I have data for all my components from Accurate sans primer). Not sure if both are slow burning or not, and if that will make a difference with the mag primer.

On Edit - I finally found burn rate data, and Hodgden Universal has a faster burn rate than Accurate #5. Which confounds me how a large flake powder will burn faster than a small granule... but OK.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

sticks, i was using accurate #5 when i used mag primers. as i said in my first post it did not make much and/or any different over standard primers. i like #5,,i use it for several pistol cals (380,9mm,38/357,40, and 45). got a deal on it two years ago at $6.00 dollars a pound from a company that sales reloads on the net. showed up a their business with many gallon milk jugs. also, got primers and bullets. i work up my loads by first using the book loads, different bullets, chronograph work and grouping for each of my guns. I have found that the g27 will shoot one load better than the g22 and g23. Found this also with the glock 9mm and 45 guns. this makes/give me more time at the fireing line (private range). and the wife helps too, she likes to shoot.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Thanks for the posts.

I'm loading pretty light since I'm new to the 9 and 40, and I'm still kind of concerned about pressures and oal's for these calibers. I've loaded 45 for a couple of years and was never too concerned about pressures.

I want it simple: small primer for 9 & 40, large primer for 45.

I wouldn't be too upset if I had only bought a couple hundred, but I bought 3000 and don't really want to worry about which primer I use when loading a batch.

Hopefully, the store will do the right thing and exchange them for the WSP's. But then I have that dang 143 mile drive again. If so then I'll wait until they restock on bullets. They were completely out of 40cal.

BTW, the place is Southwest Ammunition Supply in Mesquite, TX and I had read only good things about them.

I think I have to chalk it up to having my son take care of something for me concerning something he knows nothing about.
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

I made the same mistake. There is a two word difference between the two flavors, and I missed it. The way the shelves were stocked (or lack thereof) did not help.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Be glad you can even find small pistol primers. None of the places in Fort Worth have any, ane they can't guesstimate a delivery date.

Links