Lee Turret Press de-priming

This is a discussion on Lee Turret Press de-priming within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I just got my 4 hole turret press set up and loaded 100rds of .45 ACP, things went great, it's a lot faster than my ...

Thread: Lee Turret Press de-priming

Lee Turret Press de-priming

I just got my 4 hole turret press set up and loaded 100rds of .45 ACP, things went great, it's a lot faster than my single stage. The only concern I have is that when I de-prime a casing the spent primer always misses the VERY SMALL primer catch pocket and scatter all over the floor. Have I set it up wrong. On my single stage I've made a 1 1/2" block that I mounted the press on with a small box in it to catch my spent primers and can empty on the side, but it doesn't look like I can do that with this press. The 100rds that I loaded, I de-primed and sized on my single stage then moved to the turret to finish up. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

2. Remove Ads

Fmr,

I just set a small trash can under mine for now, but I'm gonna make a bracket and mount a plastic bin under it.
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

just a normal problem. you could play around with it, but in the long run you will still have some of the problem. by to night someone here will have a answer/fix for the problem.

i have the same problem, not all the time, with my old 1980 model dillon 550 and my single stage presses. they catch some, they miss some. no big deal. i look at it as part of reloading.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    just a normal problem. you could play around with it, but in the long run you will still have some of the problem. by to night someone here will have a answer/fix for the problem.

i have the same problem, not all the time, with my old 1980 model dillon 550 and my single stage presses. they catch some, they miss some. no big deal. i look at it as part of reloading.

+1 to this.

I have a Lee Turre and two Dillon SDB's and they all catch some and send some on the floor of my garage. I just clean them up with a broom every now and then and go back to loading. No biggie IMHO!

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I hung a plastic bucket under mine it gets about 80% of them.

Mine came with a plastic hose that slips on the bottom. It has a cap on it or I can remove it and route it to a trash can.
    G23 for me and a G26 for my bride.
    AR15 for backup

Quote Originally Posted by C4 MAX View Post
    Mine came with a plastic hose that slips on the bottom. It has a cap on it or I can remove it and route it to a trash can.
    same here. Live primers OTOH, I keep finding all over. Been waiting to hear a loud "POP" from my roomba.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Thanks for the info, I took another look at my press last night and saw that I could make a pedestal to mount my press on. I made one with a cut-out where I place a small tray to catch the spent primers. I also discovered that when de-priming I need to keep the priming lever attached to the ram so it will route the spent primers into spent primer catch hole and into the tray that I made, I hand prime, so I've haven't been using the priming lever. One other thing I did to make my press "lefty" friendly was to reverse the toggle for the loading lever and placed the lever on the left side of the press, much easier for me to use now. So I did another 100rds and only had 3 spent primers on the floor, life is good.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ncffp163 View Post
    Fmr,

I just set a small trash can under mine for now, but I'm gonna make a bracket and mount a plastic bin under it.
    Welcome to Lee! BTW - does your priming device work? Mine doesn't & I have to hand prime. O/W, you shouldn't have any other problems with it!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I have the same problem with my 550 dillon I just clean up after every time I load some rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    Welcome to Lee! BTW - does your priming device work? Mine doesn't & I have to hand prime. O/W, you shouldn't have any other problems with it!
    I haven't used the priming device to do any priming, I put it on the ram during the first stage (de-priming) so the spent primer will fall into the hole and tray that I made. I prefer to hand prime, I've got an RCBS hand primer that does the job, when I pull the casing off the shell holder I automatically run my forefinger across the primer to feel if the primer has been seated properly or not, after a couple thousand rounds I haven't had one badly seated primer.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Thanks! I hand prime too as I couldn't get the device to work (kept falling off). I like the idea of a catch tray for the spent primers though.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Links