Temp extremes- n00b question

This is a discussion on Temp extremes- n00b question within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; OK so I am a total n00b when it comes to reloading. I haven't even started yet. I built myself a really solid bench out ...

Thread: Temp extremes- n00b question

OK so I am a total n00b when it comes to reloading. I haven't even started yet. I built myself a really solid bench out in my garage but now I'm rethinking the location. I live in Minnesota where it can be -20 or 95 degrees outside. If I leave all my supplies inside and take them to the garage to reload and then take them back in when I'm done am I going to run into problems? The garage has no insulation and so it's maybe 5-10 degrees warmer than outside. I have a portable heater I can use so I'll be OK I'm just wondering about the stuff. My problem is there really is no where I can put a big reloading bench in my house..... any thoughts?
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Crossbreed Supertuck & Beltman
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

I have my bench in my basement it at the other end of the basement not to clse to the furnace.

Assistant Administrator
    Just my 2c but - even if you have to reload in low or high temps - keep consumables in house and also loaded ammo.

It is amazing what extremes things will stand but for consistency I think balanced conditions definitely preferable.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I would let things acclimate to the conditions. In other words, take you components out to the garage several hours before building your ammo. I would keep the brass cases and bullets out in the garage all the time, and powder and primers where you want. None of my components spend time in the house or environmentally controlled conditions. Most everything in sealed ammo cans with desi-packs. Primers and powders separate of course.

Assistant Administrator
    Ram Rod makes a good point .... and acclimation is generally worse to deal with going very cold to hot - such that if dew point high enough condensate can form on cold cartridges for example.

If reloading in hot weather then take stuff back in house when finished but - if doing it when weather cold some heat near reloading area would be good (and let metallics acclimate before use) - but ideally not combustion heat like from kero as that makes moisture. Keep powder jugs capped all time not needed of course.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Dont worry about keeping the stuff in your garage during extreme temp changes. Just keep it DRY. Primers and powder are made to perform in all sorts of weather conditions. A lot of my stuff stays in outdoor storage buildings and I go out there and get what I need and use it regardless of the temp with never a problem.

VIP Member
    Not specific to your question but a thought I had...

I moved my reloading equipment in to the house because my garage can get pretty hot/cold. Being too hot or too cold tends to take my mind off of reloading and on to getting back inside. When I reload, I don't want any distractions! Just a thought.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by NRATodd View Post
    OK so I am a total n00b when it comes to reloading. I haven't even started yet. I built myself a really solid bench out in my garage but now I'm rethinking the location. I live in Minnesota where it can be -20 or 95 degrees outside. If I leave all my supplies inside and take them to the garage to reload and then take them back in when I'm done am I going to run into problems? The garage has no insulation and so it's maybe 5-10 degrees warmer than outside. I have a portable heater I can use so I'll be OK I'm just wondering about the stuff. My problem is there really is no where I can put a big reloading bench in my house..... any thoughts?
    Do not worry about this at all. I reload in my unheated garage in Maine which has very similar weather. I have never had a problem with the extreme heat or cold as long as you make sure you keep all of your components sealed up good.

That being said, some of your powders will be more temp sensative. I use Tight Group for my .45 and it creates a little higher pressures when shooting in the cold. The only time this is an issue for me is when I am shooting a USPSA match and I might make power factor in the winter with a certain load but it will be just under where it needs to be once the warm humid weather comes.

Links