New Reloader - Questions before jumping in...

This is a discussion on New Reloader - Questions before jumping in... within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; So my dad and I are fairly avid shooters. He shoots .45 ACP and a bunch of .22 and I shoot .45 ACP and 9mm... ...

So my dad and I are fairly avid shooters. He shoots .45 ACP and a bunch of .22 and I shoot .45 ACP and 9mm... It made sense for one of us to pick up a reloading press so for Christmas he got me a Lee Classic Turret.

I've been reading lots on reloading and feel comfortable with the mechanics and all. That said, I set up my press today and did a couple "dry runs" (no powder) to make sure my dies were properly set up.

Couple questions:
    1) What's a good powder to use for .45 ACP? Preferrably one that I can start with the Lee dipper set b/c my Pro Auto Disc is on order. I'm using 230 gr Speer TMJ.
    2) What OAL should I be going for? The max, according to my load sheets, is 1.275." Having played with my bullet seating die a bit, I've set a few at 1.273" and one at 1.214" OAL. For reference, my Federal Hydra-Shock is 1.209".
    3) How do I know if my factory crimping die is working? I feel it applying pressure when I raise the ram , but don't know if its something I'll be able to see?

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go but I'm taking my time and making sure I understand each step of the process and how my equipment is working before I start shooting.

Andy

BJ
    Might want to get a couple of manuals (Lyman Accurate Arms Hodgdon ) as of right now I am using Tight Group For strate cartrages and AA 2,5,7,or 9 bottle neck rounds B.J.

I use aa5 powder.with a 230 bullet head

Yeah, I have several manuals, plus the reloading info that came with the dies...

Thanks.

Okay - Here's another set of questions:

According to the Lee Reloading data for .45 ACP using a 230 gr Jacket-ed bullet and Bullseye:
    The starting powder grain wt for the load is 5.0 gr and the max grain wt is 5.0 gr. Am I to read that as there is NO room for error?

That said, I just reloaded 10 with that configuration: 230 gr fmj, 5.0 gr Bullseye and weighed my finished rounds, just to double check and the final weights were all over the place. I took the ones that were way heavy apart and double checked the powder and re-weighed the components. None were overcharged and the bullets were both 230 gr. Could the cases, besides all being Winchester White box have had several grains of weight difference?

If that's the case, I take it weighing final rounds as a last check is useless, right?

Thanks!
    Andy

Absolutely, case weights tend to vary quite a bit in the same lot. When you get to making precision target reloads some will sort cases into lots of varying weight.

My preferred powder for .45ACP is Unique.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

My recipe is 4.7 grs of Win 231 with the 230 gr FMJ
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

I use unique for everything and load 5grns behind a 230 grn lead bullet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Another vote for Unique. Loads most everything from Field loads for shotshells down to .25ACP, including lead bullet loadings for rifles. It truly is UNIQUE.

Couple questions:
    1) What's a good powder to use for .45 ACP? Preferrably one that I can start with the Lee dipper set b/c my Pro Auto Disc is on order. I'm using 230 gr Speer TMJ.
    2) What OAL should I be going for? The max, according to my load sheets, is 1.275." Having played with my bullet seating die a bit, I've set a few at 1.273" and one at 1.214" OAL. For reference, my Federal Hydra-Shock is 1.209".
    3) How do I know if my factory crimping die is working? I feel it applying pressure when I raise the ram , but don't know if its something I'll be able to see?
    1) I use Bullseye and Titegroup, with your 230 gr TMJ the Bullseye will work great, though I've found it to be a little dirty. If you're using a Lee .5cc dipper that came with your kit, it actually is only giving you 4.8 gr of Bullseye with a level scoop, at least that's what mine measures out to be, so you're below the max load. When I load 230 gr FMJ I put 4.8 gr of Bullseye behind it. I would recommend you get a scale when you can, as each pistol is different and you can work up your own loads.

2) 1.275" in the max OAL, I've been told if you use a micrometer and measure the OAL of a factory 230 gr FMJ, you can see what their OAL is and can use that for your loads. The minimum OAL (1.190") is the shortest, safe Over All Length with maximum charges. Checking my FMJ's from my last batch I set them at 1.250", but this is just what I use.

3) What type of die set do you have? If it's the Lee Deluxe Pistol Die Set (4 dies) just follow the instructions that came with the dies as how to set it up in your loader and it will give you the crimp that you want. I've had to turn the adjusting screw 3/4 turn versus 1/2 turn to get the crimp that I want, but once again start out with what they recommend and then adjust from there. I can't see the crimp (probably bad eyesight) but can barely feel it when I run my fingers over the casing, also a micrometer would show you how much of a crimp you have.

Now I mainly shoot lead RN and SWC for IPSC because of the cost and have had to make up new loads for these. Sorry this was so long, but hope it helps in some way.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

I have found that the best source of reloading data is the manufacturer of the powder you want to use. I'm confident that they have done more testing with their own product than any bullet or reloading equipment manufacturer as they are testing their powder and not other manufacturer's products. That said, here are some links for you:

Alliant Powder Company
    20 / 28 - Smokeless Shotshell Powder
    Clay Dot - Smokeless Shotshell Powder
    Reloder 17 - Smokeless short magnum rifle
    Bullseye - Smokeless pistol
    Red Dot - Smokeless target shotshell
    e3 - Smokeless target shotshell
    Promo - Smokeless shotshell
    American Select - Ultra-clean smokeless shotshell
    Green Dot - Smokeless shotshell
    Unique - Smokeless
    Power Pistol - Smokeless pistol
    Herco - Smokeless heavy shotshell & handgun
    Blue Dot - Smokeless magnum shotshell & handgun
    Steel - Smokeless shotshell for steel shot
    2400 - Smokeless magnum handgun
    Reloder 7 - Smokeless small rifle
    Reloder 10x - Smokeless small bore rifle powder
    Reloder 15 - Smokeless medium rifle
    Reloder 19 - Smokeless heavy rifle
    Reloder 22 - Smokeless magnum rifle
    Reloder 25 - Smokeless heavy magnum rifle
    410 - Smokeless shotshell
    Hodgdon Powder Company (data for Hodgdon, IMR, & Winchester)
    Hodgdon Powders
    TITEWAD
    CLAYS
    INTERNATIONAL CLAYS
    TITEGROUP
    HP-38
    UNIVERSAL CLAYS
    HS-6
    LONGSHOT
    H110
    LIL'GUN
    H4198
    H322
    BENCHMARK
    H4895
    VARGET
    H4350
    H4831
    H4831SC
    H1000
    RETUMBO
    H50BMG
    H335
    BL-C(2)
    H380
    H414
    US 869
    HYBRID 100V

IMR Powders
    Hi-Skor 700-X
    TRAIL BOSS
    PB
    SR 7625
    Hi-Skor 800-X
    SR 4756
    SR 4759
    IMR 4227
    IMR 4198
    IMR 3031
    IMR 4895
    IMR 4064
    IMR 4320
    IMR 4007 SSC
    IMR 4350
    IMR 4831
    IMR 7828
    IMR 7828 SSC

Winchester Powders
    Supreme 780
    WAALITE
    WST
    SUPER HANDICAP
    WSF
    Accurate Arms Company
    Nitro 100
    Solo 1000
    Solo 1250
    A No.2
    A No.5
    A No.7
    A No.9
    A 4100
    A 1680
    A 2230
    A 2460
    A 2520
    A 2700
    Magpro
    A 5744
    A 2015
    A 2495
    A 4064
    A 4350
    A 3100
    VihtaVuori-Lapua
    3N37
    3N38
    N105
    N310
    N320
    N32C
    N330
    N340
    N350
    20N29
    24N41
    N110
    N120
    N130
    N133
    N135
    N140
    N150
    Ramshot Powder
    Zip
    Silhouette
    True Blue
    Enforcer
    X-Terminator
    TAC
    Big Game
    Hunter
    Magnum
    Competition
    I no longer use any reloading data from any source without first double-checking it against loads from the powder manufacturer's web site. If there's a discrepancy, I go with data from the powder manufacturer.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Links