Any Experience with flechettes?

This is a discussion on Any Experience with flechettes? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am relatively new to reloading and I have always wanted to experiment with some military surplus flachette. I researched it a little bit on ...

Thread: Any Experience with flechettes?

Any Experience with flechettes?

I am relatively new to reloading and I have always wanted to experiment with some military surplus flachette. I researched it a little bit on the web, and found that it does such extensive bodily damage, that the military doesn't use it because it is in-humane. It is known to penetrate body armor at 500 yds!!!
    Has anyone experimented with it? and if so, what powder, and how many flachettes did you use?
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay as soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA left because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"
    -Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

2. Remove Ads

do you mean "Flechettes

Military Flechettes - Topic Powered by eve community

The above link is regarding reloading Flechettes

VIP Member
    And check your state regulations first. Flechettes are illegal in Florida
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    The flechettes out of a shotgun aren't that great. They had the most effect when loaded in the 105MM and 155MM howitzer rounds, they were known as "Beehive" rounds. They were used as a last ditch effort when camps or strongholds were being overrun. It was used to penetrate the thick jungle foliage.

Shotguns rounds only hold a few dozen flechettes. I don't believe that a shotgun round, which is relatively low velocity will penetrate a vest at 500 yards. The Beehive round might, it was much faster.

I played around with them years ago.Sure they'll penetrate lots of things, but they are light. Ever seen one? It looks like a finishing nail with fins stamped in the end instead of a head. I cant see it being any more effective than buckshot.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The flechettes out of a shotgun aren't that great. They had the most effect when loaded in the 105MM and 155MM howitzer rounds, they were known as "Beehive" rounds. They were used as a last ditch effort when camps or strongholds were being overrun. It was used to penetrate the thick jungle foliage.

Shotguns rounds only hold a few dozen flechettes. I don't believe that a shotgun round, which is relatively low velocity will penetrate a vest at 500 yards. The Beehive round might, it was much faster.

I played around with them years ago.Sure they'll penetrate lots of things, but they are light. Ever seen one? It looks like a finishing nail with fins stamped in the end instead of a head. I cant see it being any more effective than buckshot.
    Shot a few of those out of a 106mm recoilless rifle myself! NICE!

Cool Nails!!!

I shot tens of thousands of them in Vietnam in the 2.75" rockets we used with our Cobras. We never left for a mission without some of them with us. Each pair of rockets fired contained 4,400 of the little darlings. They were the perfect area weapon for "soft" targets, however we had AK-47's given to us by the grunts who went in to inspect our handywork on the enemy that were pierced all the way through by the flechettes. That includes the metal parts too. We affectionately called them "nails" They are made of very hard carbon steel and we actually used them as such to do small construction projects around camp. As far as using them in shotgun rounds, as long as they are legal where you are, I guess they'd be ok, but they depend on velocity to stabilize in flight. As mentioned above they might be a neat novelty, but it's hard to beat good old fashined 00 buckshot.
    Fear is a reaction.......
    Courage is a decision.

FOR GOD, FOR COUNTRY AND FOR BLUE MAX

Blue Max 24, U.S. Army, RVN 1972

I've shot a commercial round with a 12 gauge into celotex (sp) at 10 yards or less.
    Some of them had complete penetration and some partial. Others hit sideways and just left a big dent. I don't think I'd trust them for SD.

I don't mess with anything like that but I did meet a guy that loads 2 rows of them into what used to be flares. 37mm sound right? It's like a giant shotgun shell and shoots from a pistol looking thing.

For pain without being lethal, you could always do what my dad did as a young man for barn rats. He loaded a shotgun with rock salt. He said the rats would scream but the walls stayed intact.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

I used them in Vietnam, fired out of an M79 GL, also seen the effect of firing them out of a howitzer, very messy seeing Charley nail to trees. I agree with the other posters though don't think it would make a good shoot-gun round.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Shot a few of those out of a 106mm recoilless rifle myself! NICE!
    They also work well in a 40mm shell from a M79 ( Blooper)

Links