Thinking about getting into reloading - Page 2

Thinking about getting into reloading

This is a discussion on Thinking about getting into reloading within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; http://www.cs.odu.edu/~rtompkin/hornady/blue.php A good read also...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about getting into reloading

Quote Originally Posted by oregonshooter
    You won't be sorry with the Dillon. Good choice! And welcome to the "money saving club." LOL
    +1 I bought my RL-450 in 1984, upgraded to a RL550 in 1989. Wouldn't go any other way. Best dang customer service in ANY industry.
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

~sigh~ I remember my Square Deal B. It paid for itself the first time I used it. But as time wore on, it got to be a case of repetitive injuries associated with standing long periods of time and constantly throwing that lever....I just buy my ammo in bulk now. Or by the IDPA competition. Like this weekend. Since I finally got my wife to agree to go out and participate, I'll be buying a double load. I'll try and post some pics here Saturday night.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Glad to here you are thinking about reloading. The way the factories are putting out such great quality these days, it seems to me that fewer people are doing it . I have been reloading for about 11 years now , and I think that it has become a greater hobby than the process one goes through to make the cases empty again. The 8mm Mauser and .308 Win. are two of my favorites. I can give you some data sometime if you are interested.

have not tried the Hornady, but my Dillon turns out some good 45acp rounds...just bought a tool head and powder measure for .223 rem

1952 - 2006
    If you can afford it, I recommend the Dillon XL650. I don't know what I'd do with out mine. With the case feeder all you have to do is place a bullet on top of a shell case and pull the handle. Every time you do it indexes out a loaded round. For 45ACP it's as good as it gets.
    This thing is a monster machine.
    The only thing I didn't like about the RL550 was that it didn't have automatic indexing or a case feeder option.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

You can get a case feeder for the 550 now ... no auto index though

OK, I'm going to order a Dillon RL 550 this week. What I need is help getting up on the learning curve about powder and bullet info to load .45 ACP.

1. Best powder for 230 gr JHP at 800+ fps, min. fouling and flash, same for 185 gr JHP at 950+ fps.

2. Also best brand of JHP in 230 gr and 185 gr.

3. Who has the best online site for purchasing powder, bullets, primers, and cases?

4. Who publishes the best reloading manual?

Any and all opinions, info, data, will be greatly appreciated
    Pershing SIR!!

Front sight , welcome to the frat. I like to use Alliant Power Pistol powder for my reloads. I have found some really good info in Alliant's free reloaders guide. About 7.2gn of Power Pistol will give about 890 f.p.s out of a good 1911 with a 5in. barrell launching a Hornady 230gn XTP. Using a 185 gn HornadyXTP and about 8-8.5 gn of Power Pistol will get the 1000f.p.s. mark. The free guide from Alliant also publishes +P info.At least the one I have from 2000 does. I do load these two rounds a little hotter than these , I shoot them in my Ruger autos mostly for hunting and some long range plinking. I have'nt experienced any signs of excessive pressure. As always when you start to work up a load reduce it by 5% and work it up from there. As for manuals the new horady manual is great,as is theSpeer #13. The Nosler manual is just a great read all the way around. I usually buy my supplies from Midway USA, because they contrbute a portion of the sale to the NRA. Hope this helps.

Front sight I also forgot to mention that just about all the powder manufactures post some free reloading data on the web. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links