.45 ACP Lee Factory Crimp Die Question

This is a discussion on .45 ACP Lee Factory Crimp Die Question within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hey everyone - How much crimp is too much? Is it possible to over/under crimp? Usually, the instructions that come with the lee products are ...

Thread: .45 ACP Lee Factory Crimp Die Question

.45 ACP Lee Factory Crimp Die Question

Hey everyone -

How much crimp is too much? Is it possible to over/under crimp?

Usually, the instructions that come with the lee products are pretty good but the instructions with the factory crimp dies are lacking.

What should I be looking for?

2. Remove Ads

Light crimp on 45 acp except w/ cannular ~1/8-1/4 turn of die if you follow the setup instructions. More crimp on bullets w/ cannular. Also when in doubt call them, 262-673-3075. The have answered many of my questions and are happy to hear from their customers.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
    ............Is it possible to over/under crimp? ...............
    Yes.

If you under crimp, recoil will have an effect on the remaining cartridges in the magazine, usually driving the bullets further into the case, plus the bullets will be driven into the case further as the cartridges hit the feed ramp during chambering. Also, too little crimp can result in not all of the case mouth flare being removed and result in difficult, if not impossible, chambering.

If you over crimp on a rimless case like the 45 ACP, you create problems because the cartridge headspaces on the case mouth. By excess crimping you reduce the case mouth diameter too much and the cartridge can fall too far into the chamber.

The thing I suggest is to get the dimensions from a cartridge drawing and progressively increase your crimp, measuring with calipers at each increase, until you reach the recommended dimensions. Below is a drawing of a 45 ACP showing that the case mouth dimensions should be 0.4730".

Hoss

Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    When it comes to semi-auto rounds that headspace on the case mouth I have found it better to use a taper crimp die. While this does require another step in reloading it does not change the over all length of the case, which may occur with roll crimping.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    When it comes to semi-auto rounds that headspace on the case mouth I have found it better to use a taper crimp die. While this does require another step in reloading it does not change the over all length of the case, which may occur with roll crimping.
    Just to clarify, the Lee Factory Crimp Dies for auto cartridges are a taper crimp die.
    Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die

A carbide sizer sizes the cartridge while it is being crimped so every round will positvely chamber freely with factory like dependability. The adjustig screw quickly and easily sets the desired amount of crimp. It is impossible to buckle the case as with a conventional bullet seating die. Trim length is not critical so this extra operation takes less time than it would if cases were trimmed and chamfered. Revolver dies roll crimp with no limit as to the amount. A perfect taper crimp is applied to auto-loader rounds. The crimper cannot be misadjusted to make a case mouth too small to properly head-space.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I called them about this, and if they are newer Lee 3 die set (mine are Lee Carbide) then the newer bullet seating in .45 are also taper crimp dies and you do not need to buy an additional taper crimp die. If, however, you have another brand of die, say RCBS for an example, and wish to put in a factory taper crimp, then you can buy the LEE taper crimp die and do the job in an extra step.
    Last edited by Darth AkSarBen; January 5th, 2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: correction
    Vern
    http://Taurus45ACP.com
    My wesbsite with many pro-gun links.
    Carry Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth AkSarBen View Post
    If, however, you have another brand of die [...] then you can buy the LEE taper crimp die and do the job in an extra step.
    I just bought a Lee factory crimp for my Dillon 550B, for which I have the standrad Dillon dies in .45 ACP. Isn't the Lee just a drop-in replacement for the Dillon crimp die in station four?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    I just bought a Lee factory crimp for my Dillon 550B, for which I have the standrad Dillon dies in .45 ACP. Isn't the Lee just a drop-in replacement for the Dillon crimp die in station four?
    Yes.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by Darth AkSarBen View Post
    I called them about this, and if they are newer Lee 3 die set (mine are Lee Carbide) then the newer bullet seating in .45 are also taper crimp dies and you do not need to buy an additional taper crimp die. If, however, you have another brand of die, say RCBS for an example, and wish to put in a factory taper crimp, then you can buy the LEE taper crimp die and do the job in an extra step.
    That's good to know. Now I have to make sure I get the right one when I buy one. I plan to get one very soon. Thanks.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

This is the site at Cabela's Where I got my carbide 3 die set. From the lady at Lee Precision, the factory taper crimp is not needed as this set has it built into the seating die. Works for me pretty well.
    Hoo Ra
    Last edited by Darth AkSarBen; January 6th, 2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: correction
    Vern
    http://Taurus45ACP.com
    My wesbsite with many pro-gun links.
    Carry Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP

Links