Is Lee equipment any good? - Page 2

Is Lee equipment any good?

This is a discussion on Is Lee equipment any good? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; And let's face it. If Lee was not a good buy, they would be out business by now....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VIP Member
    And let's face it. If Lee was not a good buy, they would be out business by now.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I started out with a Lee setup, then moved on to a Dillon when I started shooting IPSC; I have nothing against Lee at all, it is quality equipment the Richard Lee will absolutely stand behind; in fact, if American auto manufacturers built their cars the way Richard Lee and Mike Dillon build loading equipment, we would still rule the auto industry the way we did in the 1950s......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That is because we are nice and polite on this forum.
    And my Mom and Dad never "argued"n(so they said) ...they only had "disagreements." Yeah. Disagreements that involved flying dishes.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That is because we are nice and polite on this forum.
    Tell me HotGuns, was that your only lie for the day?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Moderator
    I speak only the truth.

Lee stuff works.

Most of the time...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

As a new reloader, I think it's very safe to say that I was comfortable making the leap ONLY because the Lee classic turret and two calibers worth of dies were well within my price range. If I had to pay Dillon prices it probably never would have happened. I have enough expensive hobbies - one more wasn't going to pass the wife test. The quality to cost ratio of Lee stuff is very good - my classic turret is built like a TANK.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I'm surprised there aren't more lee-bashers speaking up. I wanted to argue that saying that you would only buy a dillon because "It's nicer" or "higher quality" is like saying that you'd only buy a Lexus and never a Ford Focus because it's better. That's fine, but my Focus has gotten me to work for over 100K miles now and cost just a fraction, although my seats aren't heated and it doesn't park itself.
    Not sure if you have used a dillon but they are a lot better quality. That alone was not the reason for me using my Dillon presses more than my Lee though. Since I mostly load for competition shooting I mix up about 12-15K rounds a year and need them to be done as fast as possible and as close to identical as I can get. On my Lee this would have taken about twice as long to load and the ammo would not have been as predictable. Bottom line, if you do not load very often, Lee is a GREAT way to get into the hobby. If you plan to load and shoot a fair amount you might as well start off with a Dillon because you will end up there at some point anyway.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    if American auto manufacturers built their cars the way Richard Lee and Mike Dillon build loading equipment, we would still rule the auto industry the way we did in the 1950s......

That is true for a lot of American manufacturing
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by Jay6 View Post
    Not sure if you have used a dillon but they are a lot better quality. That alone was not the reason for me using my Dillon presses more than my Lee though. Since I mostly load for competition shooting I mix up about 12-15K rounds a year and need them to be done as fast as possible and as close to identical as I can get.
    I have tried one at a friend's house. They are great but would be money wasted around here. 12-15K/yr and I'd be looking for a dillon, but I crank out 1 or 2 hundred rounds from time to time. I'll stick with my economy car that gets me there..
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I use all Lee stuff. Have only been reloading for less than a year, but have had no problem with anything at all. I think I'm becoming a dedicated Lee fan. Just got my second set of "Pacesetter" rifle dies in .308 for Christmas from my sister, and shot a deer yesterday a reloads I made for my 30-30 the night before, using bullets I got from my wife and daughter for Christmas. Can't beat that at any price.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    I've broken a Lee press during resizing. I started with a Lee kit and upgrade after I break something. Lee kits are a cheap way to get started. If you find out you really don't like reloading then you didn't throw away 400 bucks.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I use a Lee Loadmaster for 32, 380, 40, and 45 pistol rounds. also use it for 5.56 and 7.62 rifle rounds. The only problems I have with them is the instruction sheets. They badley need to be rewritten.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post
    I use a Lee Loadmaster for 40 and 45 pistol rounds. The only problems I have with them is the instruction sheets. They badly need to be rewritten.
    #1 tankdriver
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links