What is the best reloading setup?

This is a discussion on What is the best reloading setup? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I have been thinking of getting into reloading and would like your opinions on which gear is the best. Everyone who reloads please say what ...

Thread: What is the best reloading setup?

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar

What is the best reloading setup?

I have been thinking of getting into reloading and would like your opinions on which gear is the best. Everyone who reloads please say what your setup is and how you like it. Would you do something different if you had it to do over? Thanks for all your help.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Dillon 550b. I like it because I reload mutiple calibers. The 650 might have been better , but I can live with having to do some manual operation. I guess if i was going to shoot alot for matches ,I would want the 650. But for my 100 -200 rounds a month the 550 works fine.

Check here http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ight=reloading

posted earlyer this week

Assistant Administrator
    Yep Bud's link is a good one to go check.

Dillon tho for sure, tho I am well settled with a load of Lee - it does what I need. if'n I was younger I'd upgrade but now have what works .
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Dillon.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    If I had to do it all over again...I'd build a bigger shop...

1952 - 2006
    Dillon XL650. It will load any caliber I have and does a short order job of it as well. Mine has the case feeder option. I can crank out 5 or 600 rounds of 45ACP an hour with out really working hard at it. What seems to take the most time is reloading the primer tubes.

I give this press my highest recommendation. I have been reloading for about 35 years now and it is by far the easiest method I have found for putting out large quantities of quality ammo. (I have had the 650 for about 7 years now).

In addition to Dillon's 'No B.S. Warranty' which I can attest as being more than satisfactory. When I have ever had a problem with the press or some small part, I call Dillon (on a very easy to remember phone number for gun enthusiasts - 1-800-223-4570. How can a shooter forget that phone number). Within 2 days I have to new part on my doorstep, no charge.

To further the concept of just how good their warranty is here is a story I know to be well documented fact.

A Dillon RL550B owner was moving to a new residence and during the move laid his 550 in the bed of his pick-up truck on top of some other items. While traveling down the freeway at 70MPH+ he hit a bump and the Dillon leaped out of the bed of the truck onto the highway, bouncing end over end for several hundred yards. Needless to say it was basically destroyed. The gentleman then called the above number and explained his Dilemma. Dillon asked him to return the press for examination. They determined that it was indeed unserviceable. So Dillon replaced the press at no charge to the customer. (including shipping, I might add).

That is my idea of a true 'No B.S. Warranty.

Spend the extra cash and by Dillon.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Best is a relative term. Depends on what you want to reload and how much.

For volume The Dillon 650 with the case feeder hands down (my opinion). It takes a little to setup but when you get going, look out, you got a pile of loaded ammo. Extra tool heads and powder measures are a must ( another of my opinions) but you can start with the basics and go from there. I use the 650 mostly for .223 and .45ACP. Occasionally .357, .38 ,and .44 mag.

For Large rifle that I only load in the 50 to 200 round range I use a Forster Coax single stage press.

I will use my cheap Lee C press to pull bullets and load small batches of pistol ammo.

I suggest getting a single stage reloading kit from Lee, RCBS, or Redding with all the accesories included to start with then decide from there where you want to go. You will always have a use for single stage press.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

1952 - 2006
    Brian has made an excellent point. My first press was and I still use it, is an RCBS Rockchucker. I've loaded thousands of rounds on that press.

After hours of resizing, priming, flaring, seating and crimping hundreds of rounds one step at a time in the Rockchucker, I've fallen in love with my Dillon.

I still use the Rockchucker to load my precision .308 as well as my 7mm Mag. The Dillon does everything else.

Your budget is the only restriction on what you should get for yourself.

Good luck with your decision.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    Thanks for all your help guys. I guess I will go with Dillon. I'll let you know when I get it and how it goes. Thanks again!!

Links